Microsoft Announces Windows 8 Preorder Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Uh, no?

Sorry but Windows 8 belongs on touchscreen devices, not desktops.

Gonna stick to Windows 7 for as long as possible and then switch to Linux when Steam has a good amount of games on there.

Totally saves me $100's when building new systems!

ravinmachine

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Just waiting to see all those stores having midnight openings set up, and all they have are a few people in line so they can get the newest blue-rays instead.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Windows 7 is all i need why would i go buy Windows 8 just to make it look like Windows 7. Pretty counter productive if you ask me. They can push these prices all they want and it's not going to matter much. Corp just recently upgraded to Windows 7 they are moving to a new OS anytime soon. Many avg consumors are happy with Windows 7 and while many of those people buy a pc with Windows 8 they won't take kindly to the change and most likely downgrade back to Windows 7.

nieur

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Windows 8 is not meant for corporations. Microsoft is pushing Metro/Windows 8 UI to attract developers
As the windows phone user base is not very large app developers are reluctant to invest so if metro apps are also available desktop developers will have huge user base and many good apps will come for windows 8. which will result in success of windows 8 tabs and phones.

I'm jumping in. 4 copies of win8 (2 desktops, 2 laptops), and 2 WP8 phones are what I am planning on this fall.
If it works as expected, then great. If it falls on it's face, then I will be moving to an Android/Linux platform next time. I would try the android/linux platform now except that I still have too much software that is OS dependent, but as more and more programs have web and open platform solutions I find that my older software suites are slowly being replaced, and once they all are then I will be a little more free to change platforms at will.

[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]DO NOT BUY THIS. YOU ARE SUPPORTING THE END OF THE DESKTOP PC! Just ask Ballmer.[/citation]
I hear this argument a lot, and then I hear the same people talk about how win7 is 'all a person could ever need'.

So... if win7 is all you need... then why not just buy a few retail copies that you can install on future machines and be done with it?
Besides, win8 is a much better desktop platform than win7. Better hardware use, better task manager, better/simpler UI (though I do miss Aero a little), and better multi-screen support. I pretty much never see the metro interface in my use (when you go to sleep from desktop, then when you log in it starts you on desktop). But maybe it is just me?
My fear is that they screw up WP8 somehow. If WP8 ends up sucking, then I will stick with win7 and get an Android.

G

ugh, for the 1.5 billion M$ spent on marketing they could have made a OS better than 7. instead than give us some garbage and hope we are dumb enough to buy it because it's a new version. I will be using 7 until a version comes along that isn't horse crap.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
What is going to be the final cost of the Pro version?

$70, $140 or $200?

also
The Windows 8 Pro upgrade also does not include the "Pro Pack", priced at $69.99, which comes with Bit Locker data encryption, the Smart Screen filter for web browsing, VPN connection technology DirectAccess as well as the Media Center extensions, which you will need if you want to play DVDs on your PC.
how dumb, isn't that why you buy a "pro" version in the first place?

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Windows 8 pre-orders announced...
People lining up for blocks the day before launch to get the last remaining retail copies of Windows 7 off the shelves...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]DO NOT BUY THIS. YOU ARE SUPPORTING THE END OF THE DESKTOP PC! Just ask Ballmer.[/citation]
I will not depend on anything that doesn't run Crysis. A phone won't run Crysis. Desktops FTW!

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Just going to buy it if they do the typical cheap student discount and wait till SP1 and disable metro and not bother with the windows store, weither or not there be an official way to do that to metro is another story. If I have to I install a different GUI, though I doubt it be that bad. Those are the two main issues I keep hearing people complain about, both of which are fixable or will be shortly after release. Granted they should have had more common sense when it came to messing with an interface that worked, but lets just face it every other OS MS makes seems to work good from the get go so it is Win8 turn to crash and burn upon release.

synth0

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

AND ALSO YOU ARE SUPPORTING THE END VIRUSES!!
Just look at ipad.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]Uh, no?Sorry but Windows 8 belongs on touchscreen devices, not desktops.Gonna stick to Windows 7 for as long as possible and then switch to Linux when Steam has a good amount of games on there.Totally saves me $100's when building new systems![/citation]
I second that.

G

I have been using Windows 8 since the Consumer preview came out and I think it is a whole lot better than Windows 7. I kept a PC with Windows 7 around in case I would need it and have never had the need. It is well worth the $40 to upgrade. I love the Metro screens and I don't know why most people in this forum are so anti Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS