Microsoft Apologizes For Photoshop Blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Contrary to all the racism theories, I think thatthe polish version was modified to fit their demographics, there are less than tiny fraction of black people in Poland, the first image is a image the customers can't identify themselves with easily ... Anyway, they seem to suck at Photoshop ...[/citation]
Cause they NEVER used PhotoShop. They used Paint under Win7 (which it pretty decent btw)! :lol:

G

whats the big deal if Poland doesn't have an ethnic african population?

nafhan

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Other than the humorous photoshop mistake (forgetting about the hand). I don't think this is an issue. They're just targeting the local population. If they'd swapped out the other guy or the woman, this likely wouldn't have been newsworthy at all.

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
For something like a website image, I would think MS would just do it correctly. I'm sure they have a relationship with a stock photographer if they don't have one on staff already anyway. Just have him create a basic image like this and have several different types of people. Oh well. They got caught, but it is just a marketing strategy, not racism.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
my question is why and how are people deriving any information about the product being sold by the color of the skin of the people in a photo? do people in poland not do any business with those outside of poland?

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
From the slashdot discussion on this, apparently in most parts of the world outside the US, an advertisement showing that level of ethnic diversity just screams "American."

This would imply that the company is obviously not local, and isn't interested in altering their products to fit with local customs.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
and the "they're just trying to meet their local demographic" argument is racist in itself... are you trying to say that they have asians but not blacks? that it's somehow more acceptable to have lighter skinned elasticities?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps the polish one is the original, if they had replaced the white man with a black man for the American ad would people still be angry?

This is a non-issue, it is being blown out of proportion to serve an agenda, by people who probably don't produce anything of value; they have to create issues so they can look and feel important.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe I'm a horrible person for this, but instead of the racial implications I can't stop thinking about what an awful photo edit microsoft did. Hell the lighting isn't even right.

allenpan

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
there is almost no black in poland beside the one who is turist, yes there are asian there, i am an asian and i lived and been in poland, my wife is a pure polish so i know this well, polish people are known to be judgmental but seriously this is marketing for locale, so whats the big problem crop out the black guy to make it more relate able?

might as well ask microsoft why asian microsoft ads on tv has no black in there and no whites? b/c it is for the freaking country, geeze not everyone is so sensitive all of suddent

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
They should have taken a different picture altogether for Poland (or any country), instead of photoshoping the image. Shame on M$.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
That's pretty funny. Foolish Microsoft, photoshop fail. I just hope they don't get more fines for racism, it wasn't done for racism, it was done for demographics.

G

Microsoft would not have engaged in this sort of bigoted nonsense in the Windows ME days that's for sure. God I miss that OS! The best one they've put out so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.