Microsoft Awarded Patent for Dual-Screen Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakenviator

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
According to the US patent office:
"There are three types of patents
* Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof;
* Design patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture; and
* Plant patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant."

I don't see how this really is "original" as it seems like a rather logical step in the eventual designs of portable electronics. Just look at the Nintendo DS that has been out since 2004. Either way I think a patent for dual screens is questionable.

At least we know now know that Microsoft was serious. In a few years, given the advancement in mobile computing - this can become a reality. I sure do hope that I'd be able to own this one day.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
How can this get approved? Nintendo and PSP have been using folded screens för decades. The US patent system is rotten and more resembles to gold digging for whatever anyone may come up with, regardless similarity to existing innovations. Is this the smell of the future? Corporations owns everything you see in life. A word, a sentence, food, recepies, your childrens genes.

1984.jpg

seriousazn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
ic...patent something you aren't planning to make, so that in 10 years you can jump on a company that has long forgotten about your leaked dreams of created this masterpiece? -_-

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Milleman[/nom]How can this get approved? Nintendo and PSP have been using folded screens för decades. The US patent system is rotten and more resembles to gold digging for whatever anyone may come up with, regardless similarity to existing innovations. Is this the smell of the future? Corporations owns everything you see in life. A word, a sentence, food, recepies, your childrens genes.[/citation]

Inappropriate image. Go read 1984.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Ok wait ... they tease the public with a ^&^%& product - ditch it .. but cock blocks EVERYBODY by submitting and being GRANTED a patent ? I think one of the rules is that it MUST become a product for atleast a year! Two words come to mind but children read this forum!

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
We have no plans to build such a device at this time.
"But we have plans to sue anybody else who builds such a device in the future."

Glad to see how patents "promote" innovations in real world.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
[citation][nom]rodney_ws[/nom]This doesn't seem worthy of a patent. I suppose I should go patent 3 and 4 screen tablets then.[/citation]

maybe you should. doesn't matter whether you really build it or not...

wizardprang

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I hope that they're not planning on "camping" on the idea and then suing the hell out of anyone who uses it.

Patents were never intended for Corps to get "dibs" on new ideas and then sit and wait for someone else to actually do something with it (are you listening NTP?)

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]they should have done this instead of Kin...Bill,please come back![/citation]

While I agree about the Kin... you're addressing this to the wrong peron.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Milleman[/nom]How can this get approved? Nintendo and PSP have been using folded screens för decades.[/citation]

PSP has a dual/folding screen?

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Although MS has no intentions of marketing a Courier like device, that does not mean that we will not see devices like this in the future. MS developed the Courier as a technology demonstrator, but in the end they are a software company. It will be up to hardware companies like Toshiba, HP, and ASUS to bring this concept to market, running some form of WinPhone7 and using patent authority from MS. This will give them a unique market, as Apple or Google will not be able to offer a similar unit without violating MS's patent.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
What does Nintendo, the creators of the two-screen DS think about this ?

The fact that they did not patent it first shows that the patent would be easily be overturned once it gets challenged.

dolce_ardore

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
This would be great for classical musicians, with a foot switch for flipping pages during a performance... especially outdoor performances, when it's nigh impossible to keep the sheet music on the stand when there's a breeze. The pen interface is also good for marking up music during rehearsals and practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.