Microsoft Begins Solving Its VR Content Problem With Steam Support, 'Halo' Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

ommidiam

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Instead of wasting time with a VR Halo anything. Just release it as a straight up PC title like the fans want. Trust me its a far better idea.

pbolton1228

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
OMMIDIAM....No why not do one that can be played both VR or standard PC game. Not one or the other. You are missing the whole point that having a AA developer and franchise could draw interest to the venue. Just because it doesn't sound like AR or VR is for you. Doesn't mean they should not use this franchise to spur interest. I personally look forward to see what they will offer

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I can imagine they want the VR game to feel fully optimised for VR.
One big problem VR has at the moment is a lack of pixels, meaning it's hard to cram information in on the screen without ruining the game play.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Microsoft finally realizing Steam is not a competitor but one of the strengths of Windows over other OSes. Steam for windows has kept PC gaming alive and well in the era of console wars. Great that they are finally showing some sense.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
It's always black or white, isn't it Cryogenic? :)
You can buy Microsoft games on Steam, but can you buy Valve games on the Microsoft store? Nope.
This is obviously a natural choice for Microsoft as Valve already has a decent ecosystem on VR. Seems like Microsoft will try to focus their ecosystem more around mixed reality. That said, I really hope Microsoft is a lot more intelligent in that war against consoles than Gabe and Zuckerberg. Those two has laid down on their back and watched while Sony buys exclusives on every single VR game of interest. Great way to run a business, if you want to fail miserably.

maceacjo

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
"VR Halo experience" does not mean "VR Halo game". A lot of companies have announced "VR Experiences" for their IPs and then release like a 10 minute "game" called a VR Experience. Don't get your hopes up.

Yep, first thought I had was that it could be something along the lines of a shooting gallery, standing in place and holding off waves of oncoming enemies, like any number of other VR shooters. There is a lot they could do with a series like Halo in VR, but that doesn't mean they necessarily will. It's certainly not likely to be something with the scale of a mainline Halo game, at the very least. VR doesn't yet have the install base for them to justify investing tens of millions of dollars into a AAA title for the platform yet. That's why there aren't really any "AAA" titles designed around VR yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.