Microsoft: Black Screen of Death Not Our Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc gregoire

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Yes, I was hit by the KSOD (blacK Screen Of Death) on Vista a few months ago, definitely before the latest patches. After lots of searching around on the web I found a solution and made a summary of it on my blog:
http://www.nuonsoft.com/blog/2009/05/02/possible-ksod-black-screen-of-death-solution-for-windows-vista/

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
No problems here whatsoever. One Win7 box, one Vista box, and two XP Boxes of my own that have been working flawlessly, not to mention the couple virtual XP machines I'm running and the myriad of other XP systems I maintain.

sanctoon

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Just had a customer today with a black screen problem on his Lenovo notebook, but it was malware related, I just took out the HD, did a scan for malware on my workstation with NOD32 and malwarebytes, and problem was solved,

abbringm

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Typical: A "Blue" or "Black Screen of Death", "Guru Meditation Error" or whatever makes your OS stop working is always the fault of the OS. Either by it's own code, or by failing to enforce an architecture that denies applications/drivers to tear down the OS.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
So, in the end it looks like it is malware related; as I said yesterday in the other article comments, the "security firm" that came up with the story regarding the widespread problem of KSOD is M.I.A., invalidating that claim.
Sorry, Marcus, it didn't work out for ya this time :)

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Windows 7 Pro: Black screen of death, however I do not believe it was M$ since it has yet to do it again. Mine locked up and got a black screen when trying to bring up the task manager to shut down what I thought was the offending program. In short I believe it was related to my Creative sound card cause it did lock again, but no black screen and that's when I noticed the sound had disappeared. Something to do with Creative .dll's seemed to be the issue.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I've received it several times while running Vista. It just happens occasionally, and doesn't necessarily need anything to provoke it.

If you get one, all you have to do is hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, end the explorer.exe process, and relaunch explorer again from Run.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
No problems here on either of my machines (one XP and one Win7 64-bit); how did the rumor get started that MS updates were causing these problems?

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]abbringm[/nom]Typical: A "Blue" or "Black Screen of Death", "Guru Meditation Error" or whatever makes your OS stop working is always the fault of the OS. Either by it's own code, or by failing to enforce an architecture that denies applications/drivers to tear down the OS.[/citation]

That's like saying that if someone made a shitty application for Mac, it's Apple's fault for the app not working right.

Just as it's not Windows' fault if you get malware on your computer, this isn't any different.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]That's like saying that if someone made a shitty application for Mac, it's Apple's fault for the app not working right.Just as it's not Windows' fault if you get malware on your computer, this isn't any different.[/citation]
He means that if someone made a shitty application for Mac, it's Apple's fault that the app made the whole OS crash. A shitty app can crash, but it shouldn't take the OS down with it. Tehn again, I don,t care much one way or the other. These things are bound to happen sometimes.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]abbringm[/nom]Typical: A "Blue" or "Black Screen of Death", "Guru Meditation Error" or whatever makes your OS stop working is always the fault of the OS. Either by it's own code, or by failing to enforce an architecture that denies applications/drivers to tear down the OS.[/citation]

wow what an idiot. you can get a black screen of death if your hard drive is corrupted.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
The only Windows error I ever get these days is rot. My grandmother's 1.6GHZ celeron XP box currently runs better than my 3.6 Wolfdale with Vista. And yes, duckman is right, I used to bluescreen because my audio card was shorting out.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
No problems what so ever, I will note that I am one who keeps Automatic updates OFF.
My mentality is Why Fix what isn't broken. I install updates ONLY when I have an issue.

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
MS is saying that it isn't the fault of the patch that the registry key changed. I think the OS should provide protection for any registry key changes that are critical to the system, however there are registry keys that provide for user customization, and MS can't prevent a user from shooting themselves in the foot.

Also it doesn't seem as if the OS stops, since the workaround is to hit C-A-D to bring up task manager. Rather it sounds like explorer.exe stops working. However I'll readily grant the point that for many users failure of a common/important part of the OS is indistinguishable from the entire OS stopping.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
All updates available are installed daily.
No black screens or blue screens (well blue screens due to overclocking adjustments, but that's a known cause).a

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Voted down or not, quite valid. My Amiga had quite a few Gurus back in the day, and if the processes had been managed better they'd have been a lot less frequent...

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
All updates available are installed daily.
No black screens or blue screens (well blue screens due to overclocking adjustments, but that's a known cause).

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
As we know most malware and crapware ( proven in recent research but who needed that kinda proof.. ) are created from AV v companies themselves in order to make you feel that you need their products. Noone that I know of ( i use windows 7 x64 and manually update PCs if not daily, at least every other day )has had a BSoD or anythign of the short except a Blue on an XP system from a faulty peripheral hooked on the PC which caused it.

All I can do is call BS on Prevx and also have reasons to assume they are part of the purposly caused problem. Other than that I can care less since there is no actual issue.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
The store I work in we had about 40 systems come in on Nov with the black screen issue. Most of them were from Malware once cleaned it was like magic the problem went away. Malware,Virues & spyware are designed to do many things but all will do things to annoy the end user some worse than others. There were also system that came in with this problem that had hardware issues EG: bad sectors on hard drive or poorly installed drivers or worse a system loaded down with so many free app's from the internet that they were crashing on top of each other. I had 1 system come in with 5 Antivirus programs running & the customer could not undestand why her system crashed & would not show the desktop any longer & before it crashed it was running very slow & she blamed Windows as the problem & said she was tired of Microsoft windows acting up & was thinking of going over to a Apple because they just work out of the box. I had to tell her that Windows was not at fault here but having 5 Antivirus programs running was the issue & that a system should only have one installed at a time. I also told her that her HP laptop should have never been sold with only 512MB & windows Vista Home prem on it & she should think about adding more memory to it if she wanted to have a system that would be fast & stable she declined the memory upgrade * told me to work my magic & make it fast with what was there to work with.

I got that system as fast as I could & she was happy but some people do not understand things sometimes when you try to explain to them what their problem is & how to fix it.

I own 7 computers at home 6 are Windows 7 & one XP machine none of them have had the black screen problem & yes all of them have the most resent updates from microsoft. None of them have any antivirus or antispyware software installed & none of them have any problems with spyware or viruses & all of them are on the internet. I guess if you know what to avoid the internet is a pretty safe place to go & do whatever you need to get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.