Microsoft Boasts Better GPU Acceleration in IE9

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I also switched awhile ago to firefox, but some college website applications were not compatible so I switched to Google Chrome and have been happy with that for over a year now.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Just got the beta...Colour me impressed. The GPU acceleration definitely shaves clock cycles off the processor, opening a large amount of tabs simultaneously is lightning quick, there is no UI lock while web pages are rendering so you can scroll around even as elements are not yet loaded, making it feel faster (hey google, DO THIS), and the new interface is nice.

Not so good are the dubious decision to put tabs on the same horizontal space as the address bar, squishing it. And of course a big one is lack of the massive extensions gallery Chrome and FF already have.

Something else to consider is GPU acceleration and battery life. Watching GPU-Z tells me my graphics card jumps up to 680MHz from 200 wheneever I scroll. I hope someone (cough TOMSHARDWARE cough) does some battery life tests of all the latest browsers soon, I wonder if offloading to the GPU will increase or decrease battery life.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
It's still made by Microsoft. Every website on the planet will support it, but those that also support Firefox and Chrome will PROBABLY run it better, anyway...as usual.

wing2010

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I have to upgrade my XP (most like both software & hardware) in order to use IE9. No, thanks! I'll stick with Firefox or Chromium.

ctBuckweed

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
IE is bad. I've used Firefox for years now. Who cares about hardware acceleration when you have to switch back to a Microsoft product.

G

i have a very old pc but its running windows 7 and smootly with ie9 beta
and you dont need to ask how old 6 a 7 years old withe a pentuim4 2.0 gh 1.5 gig ram and a verry scheep and crap vedeo card fx5500 ei9 beta runs good even on my old pc

Status
Not open for further replies.