Microsoft CEO: Apple a 'Low-Volume Player' Except in Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Well Apple's smartphone market share is 15%-ish, which is close to their PC market share.
(it used to be well over 50% though)

In tablet we are moving in the same direction, but apple still has 50%+

Now, calling sales of 100+ million of anything "low volume" is still hard to justify.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Apple Ipad was strongest tablet until all these Nexus/Surface out. Ballmer is just saying what is happening. Everything but Ipad has a much better alternative. Ipad is also my only Apple product I purchased, and probably my last.

My best hope for my next tablet is a x86 Intel + win8 combo.

wlachan

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Apple have been making few products but they have done them well. MS on the other hand, have dipped in every pot and turned them poison. If not for their Windows and Office dominance in business, MS would be history long ago.

G

Microsoft also doesn't lead in servers, and they're losing more marketshare to Linux everyday... They've even resorted to using Apache Hadoop with Azure because they couldn't develop a comparable alternative... Then there's other things they don't sell many of like phones, mp3 players and super computers.

So I guess that means that Microsoft is only a high volume players in desktops?

All he said was apple only leads one market, probably in response to a question about apple. This is true. He never said Microsoft led the rest, and no one would think that. He was specifically talking about seeing what will happen in the one market apple is still leading. Stop reading into it. This is just Zak trying to make a news story out of half a statement no one should care about

G

Yes Ballmer bites down hard and pulls on his fancy silk pillow while curled up in a fetal position every night, damning Apple's market cap through such low-volume sales. And as Ballmer tugs at that pillow, like an angry puppy, Steve Jobs' gost appears and laughs maniacally!

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]azz156[/nom]yawn, everyone and there dog knows microsoft pwns apple in almost every market since the early 90's[/citation]
And MS is a convicted monopolist too so your point is.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]azz156[/nom]yawn, everyone and there dog knows microsoft pwns apple in almost every market since the early 90's[/citation]

Yep, since 1990's, Microsoft's Zune way out did the iPod, oh wait they didn't.
But in Smartphones Microsoft has had much more success, oh wait they didn't.
But Surface will outsell iPad, oh wait it's projected to sell millions upon millions less in the next quarter.

Hmmm... I guess this is why Microsoft's market capitalization is valued at 3 times more than Apple, oh wait they aren't.

Not saying Apple is a better company, just saying you don't make any sense.

G

Microsoft and Intel have just about worn out their welcome, while Linux and ARM are coming into their own!
Linux and its derivatives and ARM 64 will become the open ecosystem of choice for computer users who want to avoid Microsoft's kiosk and Apple closed operating systems!

G

Yes Ballmer bites down hard and pulls on his fancy silk pillow while curled up in a fetal position every night, damning Apple's market cap through such low-volume sales. And as Ballmer tugs at that pillow, like an angry puppy, Steve Jobs' gost appears and laughs maniacally!

It hurts the fanboys so much!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I personally will never buy a Mac, but...

They forget to mention that just a few years ago, Apple's PC market share 5%. It has risen consistently and is exploding now. Universities and colleges are loaded with them, and the majority of students own them. These students are the ones that will be shaping the future and their choices will be Macs unless something changes.

A friend of mine recently graduated from a 3 year course at University. She said that the first year, macs were few and far between. By the end of the third year, it was completely reversed. Everyone had macs, while windows PCs were few and far between. I work at a computer business with both business contracts and a storefront. When customers come in, I'd say 1 in 3 mention Macs or iPads despite it clearly being a Windows PC store. We have no Apple store here and have applied to be an authorized reseller but Apple prefers to open their own stores rather than share the profits.

At the same time, some of our business customers have been researching their software options to see if they can convert to Macs. They're under the false assumption that Macs are more secure and reliable. We are generally able to set them straight with informed consulting but the fact they are looking at all is disturbing.

Check your facebook status updates and you'll find people complaining about their PCs, asking what they should buy and the majority of responses are "GET A MAC".

You see Macs in every single movie and TV show out there. All the most popular youtubers advertise that they use Macs (and probably get paid to switch if they aren't, and get a bonus for announcing that they have switched).

Apple's one talent is marketing and they are aiming for the long term conversion to Macs while MS is blinded by their current dominant market share.

I'm no Apple fan, but I don't think MS should underestimate the power of trends, opinion, and what's "cool". If they do, they'll end up retreating to the Enterprise sector like IBM did and Macs will be all that's left.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I personally will never buy a Mac, but...They forget to mention that just a few years ago, Apple's PC market share 5%. It has risen consistently and is exploding now. Universities and colleges are loaded with them, and the majority of students own them. These students are the ones that will be shaping the future and their choices will be Macs unless something changes.A friend of mine recently graduated from a 3 year course at University. She said that the first year, macs were few and far between. By the end of the third year, it was completely reversed. ....[/citation]

I love my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro but the latest iMacs don't excite me much, the prior generation looked better though the current may be more powerful. Mac OS X is easy to use and looks good...just like Windows 7 and Ubunto 12 (w/Cinnamon). I wonder if Apple's computer marketshare will continue to grow? The MacBook Pros are just nice for everyday and business use, well made machines that just work well.

rocwurst

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Well Apple's smartphone market share is 15%-ish, which is close to their PC market share.(it used to be well over 50% though)[/citation]

Actually, this is incorrect - Apple has never had 50% share in smartphones.

The iPhone started at 5% in 2007, reached 10% in 2008, 17% 2009-2010, 22% in 2011 and has hit 34% so far in 2012 (pre-iPhone5) according to ComScore.

G

90-something percent, Yes and what % still have XP and Windows 7, and What % will never have that kiosk shoved in their face with Windoze 8! What percent will go Linux and run an ARM 64 based computer attatched to a ARM 64 based server running the company's data base! And maybe that server will have some AMD hybrid x86, for legacy code, and ARM 64/Opteron APU chip that can run any x86 or ARM 64 VMs, while the business migrates to Linux based software and ARM 64 based hardware!

G

The future says: To hell with WinTel! To get the job done, all you will need is HSA with the software that can use any HSA compatible hardware x86 by AMD or ARM by everybody! Yes, why play Operating system musical chairs with Microsoft, or price that high priced silicon with Intel! Yes, no more retraining at Microsoft's whim, just a stable GUI wilh somthing better and less $$$$.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Zak, where in Ballmer's statement does he imply that Microsoft is leading every market? Leave your bias at home. Ballmer doesn't imply or even try to "depict" Microsoft as the market leader in every segment. If you can't report actual facts, go start a blog.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Well I should note that some seem to be conflating "low volume" with "low number". Apple, as noted, has sold 100 million iPads. That is a high number. But relative to everyone else that totals the tablet market, that is a low volume. Put it this way - it's like the difference between sales and profit. I can sell a 100 widgets at cost and make no money. Someone else can sell 10 widgets at a profit of even a penny per widget and they've beat me cause they made more money. Apple competes in a lot of areas. They don't necessarily sell a whole lot relative to other participants, but they've been making more money doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.