Microsoft Clears Up Activation Options For Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still trying to get a clear and official answer about my Windows 7 Home Premium Family 3-pack. All 3 computers use the same license key. If I upgrade 1 of the 3 computers and Windows 10 turns the key into a key for itself, do my other 2 machines become non-genuine?

This was the biggest factor of why I reverted my laptop back to Windows 7 after 2 weeks. I couldn't get an clear, official answer about this. I tried calling, but got no useful information...

I'm still trying to get a clear and official answer about my Windows 7 Home Premium Family 3-pack. All 3 computers use the same license key. If I upgrade 1 of the 3 computers and Windows 10 turns the key into a key for itself, do my other 2 machines become non-genuine?

This was the biggest factor of why I reverted my laptop back to Windows 7 after 2 weeks. I couldn't get an clear, official answer about this. I tried calling, but got no useful information...

I may not be an official source but if Microsoft won't say it I will, you're screwed. Windows 10 takes the product key you had from windows 7 and converts it into an entitlement. Entitlements are only good for the motherboard they are installed on, period. You cannot use them on another system or if you upgrade the motherboard.

Microsoft should have accounted for issues like multi-PC licences but they were too busy chasing the cloud and dollar signs. Not only does the name "entitlement" suggest you must remain in the good graces of microsoft but it also means that you no longer own your software.

We have yet to see anything that specifically states that a "Entitlement" is like OEM only and tied to the board it is installed on. If anything there is still information that needs to be cleared up. I would assume that a retail 8.1 upgraded to 10 is 10 retail meaning it is not tied to the board itself.

I bought a retail version from the MS Store. Per the license agreement Retail can be reinstalled to any PC so long as it is on only one system. If anything it is tied to my Live account.

And if you read any of the Microsoft Windows EULA you have never actually owned the software, you owned the key that gave you the right to use that software which could be revoked at any time. It has been that way for a very long time. In fact most software EULAs are very similar.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Martell1977 short answer yes they will be non genuine. whatever pc gets first gets upgraded to windows 10 will be the pc that is the entitled version to windows 10 and the rest of the computers that shared the windows 7 product key from the 3 pack will not be able to upgrade. now there is away around that and that's join the ms insider program and download the windows 10 preview builds on the 2 other pc's not eligible for a windows 10 upgrade and you can get a genuine copy of a genuine windows 10 for those pc's doing it that way.

It's pretty clear here

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft-changes-rules-for-windows-10-activation-for-the-better/

"And if you read any of the Microsoft Windows EULA you have never actually owned the software, you owned the key that gave you the right to use that software which could be revoked at any time. It has been that way for a very long time. In fact most software EULAs are very similar."

Microsoft is just the first one to advertise your lack of rights. Hooray for breaking ground.

niveditas

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
Where did the table in this article come from? I bought windows pro just last month from the windows store, and I got a product key

Yes they give you a key to activate it the first time. Once you use that key for the first time, it turns into an entitlement and your key turns into a generic one depending on the edition of windows you have. For example, all windows 10 pro users have the same key displayed in computer properties.

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
I have a Toshiba laptop, which came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled.

Recently, I deleted the Windows 10 installation files, uploaded witouth my authorization, uninstalled the telemetry updates, and blocked Windows Update, including Windows Update service.

Now it says that my perfeclty legal Windows 8.1 license is not valid. It was stored in BIOS, I tried to reenter it, and was rejected.

I never installed Windows 10. Never gave my consent.

I will not migrate to 10. I don't even like 8.1.

There is only one choice left, crack it, or move to linux.

You are evil, Microsoft, and I will not take it anymore.

LargeHardware

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Lets clear up a misconception. When you upgrade to Windows 10 nothing happens to you original Windows 7 or 8 authentication code or Key. It still exists as it did before and is still valid per the terms of the original agreement. The Windows 10 agreement does not allow you to use both the original and new windows 10 validations at the same time but you can continue to use either in the future as per your agreement with Microsoft.

When you upgrade your computer to Windows 10 it is done from within the running Operating System. Windows 10 verifies that your computer is in fact running a Genuine Microsoft Version of Windows 7 or 8 and that it is validated or Authentic. I fail to see what the concern is in regards to upgrading all 3 or only 1. Just to be clear your Windows 7 or 8 Key is verified as authentic and valid when you upgrade but is not used as the actual key for Windows 10. A new validation key or entitlement is created for Windows 10. The original key is still intact, valid and stored in Microsoft's data base. If you want to use it again you can. After upgrading to 10 I have uninstalled it and re-installed Windows 7 using the original key for authentication several times and have had no problems.

I am assuming that Microsoft is continuing to keep their records for every key issued and the terms of the agreement. If the scenario you are presenting were in fact true it would wreak havoc in the business world since most businesses purchase the software for multiple installations. I don't see that happening.

Important Notice: Always be sure you have a physical copy of your original Validation Key xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx. If you do not have a sticker on the machine write it down. When the upgrade to Windows 10 is complete you will not be able to retrieve the original Windows key from your computer or operating system should need it later.

LargeHardware

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

I believe you were actually using a recovery partition on the hard drive to reinstall Windows 8. You cannot use what is in your Bios to validate Windows 8. That data was modified when Windows 10 was installed. You need to validate Windows 8 with the original Authentication Code xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx. It's on a sticker that Microsoft provides for the original installation. That sticker is often found under the battery so if you cannot find it on case remove the battery and look under it.

I suspect someone clicked the little blue window icon that was added to the lower right of your display during on the automatic updates months ago. Microsoft added the icon to click on and "Get Windows 10" without asking during a routine update but they do not automatically install it unless someone clicks on the "Get Windows 10" and agrees to the terms. These blue window icons were added to everyone's machines months before Windows 10 was available to the public as a was to reserve your copy. This machine I am using now still has that little blue window icon and it still nags me to upgrade to Windows 10 because I never agreed to it on this machine as I did my others.

Also when you say you deleted Windows 10 it makes me curious what you actually did because deleting a program file is a bad thing to do. Programs should always be uninstalled. If you reformatted the drive that is fine but just deleting files will almost always create a problem. You can contact Toshiba Computer Warranty repairs department if your machine is not too old they should help.

Regardless, if you were able to completely remove Windows 10 then you are free to go back to Windows 8 as long as you have a valid authentication code (look for the Microsoft Windows sticker).. What you cannot do is use both simultaneously so if there are still some remnants of Windows 10 on your machine signaling to Microsoft that they are active you will not be able to validate Windows 8 until they are removed.

I've bounced back to my Windows 8.1 installation three or four times. The activation was not nullified, and nowhere does it say that systems upgrading to ten will nullify the validity of the product key for the qualifying previous OS. If you have three activated systems that are on 8.1, installing windows 10 on one, or two, should not affect the other systems that have not been upgraded, at all. In fact, so long as you still have the product key, you should be able to do a clean install of your previous OS version at any time, on any of those machines, without any complications. Upgrading to ten does not nullify the validity of the product key for the OS version that qualified it.

LargeHardware

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

I believe this man is absolutely correct. :bounce: I have done the same multiple times.

I suspect the problem may be the way Windows 10 was removed from the machine or you need to validate with the key code that is on the Windows 8 COA sticker. That sticker is usually on the bottom of the case sometimes under the battery.

The problem I have with Ten is that there are many yellow flags about the OS.
First, 8 activation formats? I can say that it makes sense from a legal point of view if you want to force users to do a certain thing depending on how they activated their windows 10.

Apart from that, I would only expect 2 formats:
1) For those who dont have windows at all.
2) For those with a legitimate copy of 8.1,7, etc (how far it goes back would depend on Microsoft).
Monetary speaking it makes no sense to make 8 separate activation formats if unless you are legally bound somehow to make those distinctions.

Also, Microsoft has NOT given clear and simple information regarding this "free" upgrade, so I consider there is a catch. I heard some stories already but dont know if they are true so Im stalling.

I heard things like the fact that windows updates cannot be turned off in windows 10 if you upgraded from a home version of win7 / 8.1. If that is the case, count me out.

I heard that Windows can turn off your pirated software (Here the main problem will be what Microsoft considers "pirated software"). In that case count me out.

I heard Chrome will be intentionally runned poorly on Win10 (Outlook web app already blocked chrome from being able to add attachments). In this case count me out.

WE will see if anything else creeps out of the woodworks with this "free" upgrade.

Id rather wait and make sure I dont get tricked into selling my soul for a free OS... you know.

niveditas

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015

Yes they give you a key to activate it the first time. Once you use that key for the first time, it turns into an entitlement and your key turns into a generic one depending on the edition of windows you have. For example, all windows 10 pro users have the same key displayed in computer properties.

What does that mean? The thing displayed in computer properties says its a "Product ID", not a Product Key, but I have the option to "Change your product key", which brings up a dialog to enter the 25-character product key. Windows 7 also did not display your product key here.

That just says the same as everyone else. Nothing official from MS themselves.

And it has been known in the enthusiast world forever that that is how software works.

And if you buy a copy of 10 from the store like say Staples or Frys it needs the key every time you install. The Entitlement only covers upgrades and digital purchases. When I bought my copy from the MS Store I was required to input my Live account, that was the only way I could buy it. The product is tied to my Live account much like how Office 365 is tied to a Live account. If you have 2 copies and are retail then you are not limited like OEM.

I may not be an official source but if Microsoft won't say it I will, you're screwed. Windows 10 takes the product key you had from windows 7 and converts it into an entitlement. Entitlements are only good for the motherboard they are installed on, period. You cannot use them on another system or if you upgrade the motherboard.

Microsoft should have accounted for issues like multi-PC licences but they were too busy chasing the cloud and dollar signs. Not only does the name "entitlement" suggest you must remain in the good graces of microsoft but it also means that you no longer own your software.

I can confirm this true, I RMA'd my motherboard and my Windows 10 key expired and was no longer valid.

If you change your motherboard, you need to go back to your old version of Windows and upgrade again. No guarantee it will stay genuine. I was lucky that I had a key from a school account.

CosmonautDave

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Just wanted to jump in here since I did go through this recently. My motherboard went bad and I RMA'd it. This was after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. As you mentioned in the post, the activation was tied to my motherboard so when I received the replacement my installation was no longer activated.

At that point there are two options: either reinstall the old version of Windows, and upgrade back to Win 10 again (big pain) or contact customer support, give them your Windows 8.1 key, they will check it is valid, and then provide you with a Win 10 key. I did the latter. Spent about an hour on the phone with them, but it was resolved eventually. You need to show them two things to get the new Win 10 key: your old valid key, and the error message code that shows the hardware change is the reason your account is not active.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I can confirm this true, I RMA'd my motherboard and my Windows 10 key expired and was no longer valid.

If you change your motherboard, you need to go back to your old version of Windows and upgrade again. No guarantee it will stay genuine. I was lucky that I had a key from a school account.

My friend had the same issue, she had windows 10 installed, called MS and they told her that the old lic is still valid and can be used to upgrade again to windows 10, my new understanding is that your actual lic will be converted to entitled if you upgraded in the first year.

scogar

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
My windows 10 activation voided when I had to replace the motherboard due to faulty Ethernet port. I tried to re-activate but alas the windows 8.1 key was found to be useless. I called Microsoft, and got to talk to a very nice lady with a distinctly Indian accent (in Cupertino?), who kept going completely down her script and eventually telling me every time, "You need to purchase a new Microsoft windows 10 license and I can put you through to someone to do that". I hung up the phone annoyed at the lack of service on a repair issue, and then proceeded to back down the "free" Windows 10 installation, to 8.1, and found that I was again activated, so I then re-updated the computer to windows 10 again, to find it still activated :)
Walla! (this only works within 30 days of updating to windows 10) (Why couldn't tech support at Microsoft simply tell me that ?)

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001

I actually have practical experience with this license as I have three computers on just this type of license. Feeling no reason to worry I upgraded my HTPC to Windows 10, no issues. Didn't get around to my mother's computer for about a week. No issues activation before or after I upgraded it. Still haven't gotten to my brother's house to upgrade his but he hasn't complained of any WGA issues and all three of these HTPCs are on this three pack upgrade license coming from WinXP.

Last computer I used this 3 Pack license on to do a fresh install of 7 after a motherboard swap. Didn't have XP available but it didn't take issue with that, just activated. I've noticed a more relaxed attitude from Microsoft on Windows 7 Activation in the days since 10's release. At least from my perspective.

So, 2 of 3 computers on a Seven Upgrade 3-Pack are upped to 10. None are complaining. Not worried they will.

yea i may be in the same boat. i got a copy of windows 7 pro from a former job years ago and the key may be a volume licence but i don't know for sure. all i know is it only works when entering after installing windows 7 and it is not stored in the registry. i have installed windows 1-0 on my new desktop and just installed it on my older one although im having issues right now with windows 10 on the older build not letting me into the system window so i'm not sure if the old build is activated or not yet

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I heard things like the fact that windows updates cannot be turned off in windows 10 if you upgraded from a home version of win7 / 8.1. If that is the case, count me out.

Id rather wait and make sure I dont get tricked into selling my soul for a free OS... you know.

You cannot tell Windows 10 what to NOT update. It will update itself without your permission or options. Only the enterprise edition has options to NOT install updates.

Lots of people are bring tricked.

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

We have yet to see anything that specifically states that a "Entitlement" is like OEM only and tied to the board it is installed on. If anything there is still information that needs to be cleared up. I would assume that a retail 8.1 upgraded to 10 is 10 retail meaning it is not tied to the board itself.

I bought a retail version from the MS Store. Per the license agreement Retail can be reinstalled to any PC so long as it is on only one system. If anything it is tied to my Live account.

And if you read any of the Microsoft Windows EULA you have never actually owned the software, you owned the key that gave you the right to use that software which could be revoked at any time. It has been that way for a very long time. In fact most software EULAs are very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.