Microsoft Confident That $150 is Right for Kinect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arges86

Distinguished
150 is a bit much.
If there were some awesome titles developed that pushed the boundaries of the device, than i could see justifying that.
But for now, i couldn't imagine paying that much for so little

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
i don't understand the big deal...150 to have a whole new way of playing games and you think its too much? but 70-80 for a single game isnt too much??
if a game is 70 bucks 150 for kinect aint bad, sure 99dollars would be great but then why not 40 dollars thats even better....
a wii cost 150 but if you didnt buy it before why would you now? personaly i dont like the num chuck thing so i'm waiting to see how this will play out

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]I think $150 is competitive if you consider cost to max out experience.[/citation]

While it does support voice recognition and full body capture for multiple players simultaneously it is still just one controller. It is the most innovative controller but it is ONE device and isn't a complete console. It will have fewer than 5 total games available for it by the end of the year with unknown numbers the following year.

I want to make one point very clear. Unless it sells like crazy it will fail badly!

Prior to the Wii launch everyone laughed at it's weak design. After it sold like hot cakes game developers were scrambling to release as many games as they could for it. It will be much the same for this Kinect launch. They better sell like hot cakes or they won't get enough games made for it to attract long term attention.

Microsoft will make it more attractive to get the Xbox 360 with Kinect so newcomers to the 360 will likely pick this up. As an add-on I don't see it picking up traction fast enough to keep developers on board.

G

12-18 months after launch I bet. So the devs can see if there is enough of a install base to make it worthwhile.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Even though a lot of people will balk at the price point of $150, let's be honest, this will still sell out 100% on launch day, if due to nothing else than the "It's close to Christmas, this is a NEW video game console thing, I'll buy one and immediately put this on Ebay in the hopes to make a quick buck." The Ebay mentality has destroyed the gamer's ability to buy any sort of a major console item on launch day without camping.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
My guess is that the response time of the Kinect isn't suitable for intense gaming. Pricing isn't too much of a concern considering all that included in it. I'll wait for the Kinect II before even considering purchasing it.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I totally agree; $99 is the sweet spot, though I'd at least play a game I like on it before I fork over any cash. I think the Microsoft view about the attachment is that it functions as multiple controllers, so you should pay the same price as multiple controllers.

No, Microsoft has a trunk load of money spent on research and Development and they have it priced at 150 Bucks because that is what it is going to take for them to get their money back over a certain length of time. probably 2 years. So you probably won't see $ 99.00 price tag untill after 24 months.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I was pretty close to buying a console to play Red Dead Redemption but now with all the 3d/kinect-wii stuff coming out I'll wait for prices to drop and think about putting my dough into a bigger screen than 28", or a second screen and head towards eyefinity.

Bartendalot

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Epic Fail Microsoft! Overpriced and poorly supported. Lets see where it is in a year or so but this should not be released like this (esp at $150!)

knownballer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I think everyone's forgetting that this is a new device that will probably get cheaper as time goes on as most new products do, and it's really not meant for this generation. With the new xbox new coming next year at the latest everyone will start gearing towards the new generation of consoles. Neither the move nor the kinect will become popular with a lot of titles until it's releast in massive amounts (I.e. with the console). We'll see it play a bigger role in the next generation.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I honestly dont think they have any actual gamers that work in the Xbox division. The entire place seems to be ran by accountants and one single retarded hardware engineer that took 3 years to figure out how big a heatsink to use.

G

Less cost is always good. Free is even better. I don't have a console and I think I'll pick-up one if it just works.

G

I think it is a fair price with pack-in and I have already pre-ordered:
http://kinectblog.com/2010/07/18/new-evidence-suggests-kinect-will-be-priced-at-99/

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Kinect will go the way of the Kin. The casual gamer market is tapped, and they will not move to the Xbox simply because MS has released the Kinect. Especially considering the price of the Xbox, plus the price of the Kinect, plus the monthly charge for the "privilege" of using your Xbox online. A new Wii with Motionplus and Sports Resort is only $200. Massive MS fail.

G

Well, when "Project Natal" was first spoken of, Micrsoft has indescretely estimated the cost somewhere between $80 and $150 dollars. This was early this year, probably february or so, but Now that we've seen it's capabilities and know that Kinect can take motion sensing without a controller beyond just gaming, I'd say that $150 is a reasonable price...I mean, the only people that seem to be truely complaining are lazy gamers with no jobs anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.