Microsoft Confirms $15 Windows 8 Upgrade for New PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I want that price to upgrade my Win7 Pro too! I don't wnat to have to buy a new computer - this one works beautifully.

gibs0

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Standard TH comments. Microsoft offers it as an optional service and people complain about it.

Stay rational.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I would not touch the irritating, horrible and poorly designed Windows 8 for any price.
It is NOT for desktop use, and Microsoft should have designed two completely separate versions, one for touch and the other for desktops.
Windows 8 will be a huge failure, and stupid and stubborn Microsoft is going to lose a very large market share for their very big and costly mistake.
Windows 8 is going to be Microsoft's Waterloo.

cozalp

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]gibs0[/nom]Standard TH comments. Microsoft offers it as an optional service and people complain about it.Stay rational.[/citation]

Of course people have right to complain about the product they use daily. From what I have understand Windows 8 is more efficient with the resources and works slightly more optimized than the current version of Windows. However if you want to pay and upgrade to take advantage of this, you have to put up with the new gui style most of the people don't like even a bit. It's ok to introduce new ideas, but forcing it is simply stupid.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Nope, not going to take advantage of this. The only way I would downgrade to Windows 8 would be for Microsoft to pay me. And please don't claim that Windows 8 is still good "because you can go back to the WIndows 7 interface if you want". I've heard reports that Microsoft is trying to make it more difficult, if not impossible, to do so. Windows 7 was very good, and Microsoft shouldn't have thrown out the baby with the bath water in their efforts to chase the smart phone craze with a desktop OS.

No thanks, unless they are going to send me a new disk or downloadable ISO with the full install. I will never perform an upgrade to a M$ operating system again. I never seems to run as well as a fresh install and it leaves junk behind.

PraxGTI

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Windows 8 is the typical IT idium of "Who care what the consumer wants, or needs....look what I can do it's Shiny!".

This is what happens when a bunch of people completely disconnected from the end-user get together and design something based on "cool new features" and "wow look at these shiny graphics and transitional animations" as well as "Hey, you know how users are used to using our OS and Servers for business, well screw what they need, WE define what they need and how they use it".

Well, news for you Microsoft, we have analyzed Windows 8 for our environment, and we are still happy on windows XP since 99% of all machining still runs on it. We have been happily transitioning to Windows 7 when old PCs need replacing, because it is an improvement that increases worker efficiency.

Personally, I believe Microsoft needs 10 years between every new OS. It takes them that long to do it right anyways. Windows XP was great, Vista was terrible and rushed, Windows 7 was what Vista should have been, and Windows 8 will be another "speed-bump" in the corporate world.

I have said this a million times, if Apple would just take the time to focus on corporate needs and server infrustructure from an IT viewpoint, no one would even use Windows anymore. I hate Apple with a passion, but I am certain they would do a better job. Apple has no interest in corporate though, they want to target the consumer, and it is working.

The issue here is that Microsoft is trying to take the Apple approach and focus on the consumer, but in the end they will just alienate their corporate market which could very well be the push people need to switch to alternative OS like Google's upcoming Desktop OS or Ubuntu.

Go google go! Make me an OS that works great for the corporate environment with server support so that I can stop dealing with Microsoft and thier licensing that doesn't make any sense.

G

So, they want *us* to pay *them* for that rubbish? Think I'll wait til Windows 9, when MS (hopefully) comes to its senses.

stalkerusa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I remember when Micro$oft did free upgrades to Vista from XP but that was for an apples to apples upgrade. If you wanted Ultimate, sorry about your luck. That program applied to the OEM license as well.

Despite my feelings of how Windows 8 is, my 5 year old would be happy with this. Since I'm in the process of getting ready to order parts, here's a good question, does this offer apply to Home/System Builders/OEM License as well? If it has to be a preinstalled copy on a new system, well, I'm screwed and Windows 8 won't be on any new systems in my home any time soon?

Hey Tom's Hardware crew! Any chance of getting clarification on this?

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Just $15 to make your computer suck!!!!I wouldn't switch to windows 8 from windows 7 if they paid me $15.[/citation]

ROFL, I was gonna write the same thing.. LOL

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
So now they go from free upgrades to having to pay 15 bucks? lol For what a OS that MS wants to rip out code for any start menu to be applied and a metro UI that you can't turn off and MS preventing anyone from skipping Metro and going right to the Windows UI? You got to be out of your freaking mind MS. The headaches you are giving people with this OS by not allowing them to disable Metro and not having a start menu is far beyond anything good that is coming out of this OS so far. Windows 7 does everything people need it to do Windows 8 causes headaches and frustraition. MS will find this out the hard way when vendors will be getting a flood of phone calls asking to downgrade to Windows 7 on their new pc's.

Wave Fusion

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
My next scheduled PC purchase is in 2013.. but I don't know what I'll have to do to get a notebook with Win7. Perhaps its finally time to use that rainy day fund to buy essential desktop components in preparation for Haswell/AMD 8870~.

Which right now means hoarding enough copies of Win7 to ride out this disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.