Microsoft Confirms That ''Live'' is Dead

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]Whoa, wait, really? You can't disable Metro?Guess that means I'm not upgrading to Windows 8.[/citation]

Not until Service Pack 1 ;D

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i thought the purpose was to group several widely used apps, like email and messenger, into a collaboration suite with a "Live" moniker attached so you can access them more easily. Like Office, consisting of Word, Excel, etc.

madgeyu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
In the blog he goes on to state that Windows 8 uses cloud services to roam settings across the user's PCs so they can log in to a new PC and pick up right where they left off.
hmp.gif

Simenson4

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
*Welcome to Windows 8 Installation. Please select your Windows 8 Version.

Windows 8 - (32) Touch screen Edition
Windows 8 - (32) Desktop Edition
Windows 8 - (64) Touch Version Edition
Windows 8 - (64) Desktop Edition

*Notice you can enable/disable Touch screen Edition or Desktop Edition later on.

or

Select either one after the installation. Just please let us somehow select what we want to have enabled! Then we can carry on being happy campers!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
what about games that used windows live??? will they all of a sudden stop working like the online components to old ms games did when MS closed the "zone".

honestly MS better have a contengency here , or there is gonna be major back lash. not only wil windows 8 blow dog chunks , (wich every one is already complaining about) but if windows live clossing makes windows live games stop working ther's gonna a fire storm aimed at MS's head and I'll be riding the wave , considering i got more than 10 windows live enable games.

as for why windows live failed, it has nothing to do with how they implemented more to do with their shoddy selection compared to steam , and broken functionality across various OS'es (namely it's major download bugs on win xp). this crap about the last few Oses just were not made for what windows live did " is a load of horse s---t , because steam has been doing what win live did ,since 2004 and did it better.

hoenstly the biggest problem with our economy is due to all tehse companies trying to make "their" plan work against some one's plan that is already in palce , win live , Ea's origin , blizzard's battlenet .... seriously these companies should be looking at working with some one who already has their "plan" working and working good. a perfect example of that is bethesda's current relation with valve , and steam, isntead of trying to push different DRM schemes on folks , bethesda , worked with steam on teh last two games they released (fallout new vegas , and skyrim) , and they work brilliantly.

microsoft should loose metro , and then on the game side they should try to work with valve to intergrate steam into windows instead of fighting an uphill battle with their crappy version of game store. As much as i hate to admit it this is one area where apple has actually had some brains , instead of viewing steam as a threat they've worked with valve on bringing steam to apple computers, then ends result of which only brought apple and valve both some extra money.

EA and MS should just get a clue because , most gamers don't care to have a million different "game stores" installed on their pc. i never used window's live , i refuse to buy ea games that force origin on me. i don't trust ea or MS with that sort of thing. however , Steam and valve have never let me down in any regard.

shinmalothar

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Not sure why people keep complaining about the lack of a start button. From what I have seen, Metro does everything the start menu could and more (if you can be bothered to learn it). personally, the only things which are regularly used on my PC are Steam, origin and a browser... all of which can be launched directly from metro instead of launching them from the task bar. Where is the issue with that?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]shinmalothar[/nom]Not sure why people keep complaining about the lack of a start button.[/citation]

[citation][nom]shinmalothar[/nom]the only things which are regularly used on my PC are Steam, origin and a browser... [/citation]

If I used my computer mostly for Steam and web browsing, I wouldn't mind Metro either

[citation][nom]spasmolytic46[/nom]TranslationMS: we track everything you do and everywhere you as soon as you login. We don't need cookies, we got your whole damn machine.[/citation]

That should probably be every machine.

Folks rail against the gub'mint on security, freedom and privacy, but their entire life is an open book to Micro-Soft, now even more so than Goo-ghoul.

bucknutty

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Windows 8 is far superior to Windows 7, just because you don't like metro doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a shot. That's like buying an XP machine because you don't like internet explorer 8. No one is forcing you to use metro on Win8, try typing "Disable metro" into google.Metro is made for touch devices, it works great on my touch device, but only when touch is the only input available. When I use a mouse, I simply click my registry key to disable metro. Embrace change if you like IT, because the field moves fast.[/citation]

I thought they removed the start button and menu from the kernel. I dont want to use a 3rd party start button hack. I guess I can make a start folder on the desktop and put all the short cuts and programs from the start menu in there, but that sounds like to much work for no gain. I will stick to windows 7. PS I have been using windows 8 on my laptop for months now. It sucks.

Its got 2 things going for it. The new task manger is cool, and the multi-monitor suport and desktop managment is really nice.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Best thing Microsoft has done in a long time.

Seriously, I hate Windows Live Movie Maker and Windows Live Mail. They're both inefficient and contain many features I would never use. Outlook Express (Windows Mail in Vista) was just fine to my standards until I upgraded to 7. Now I use Thunderbird because I can't stand it.

I'm not trying to crap all over the brand but Live is really not needed. Windows Live Messenger is the only useful Live application in my opinion.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]Best thing Microsoft has done in a long time.Seriously, I hate Windows Live Movie Maker and Windows Live Mail. They're both inefficient and contain many features I would never use. Outlook Express (Windows Mail in Vista) was just fine to my standards until I upgraded to 7. Now I use Thunderbird because I can't stand it.I'm not trying to crap all over the brand but Live is really not needed. Windows Live Messenger is the only useful Live application in my opinion.[/citation]
They are just killing the Moniker... not the programs themselves

i find "live mesh" is good to a point

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I've used windows 8, it isn't all that bad. For once in my life i can see where MS is going with it. Killing Live is a good thing, it's crap. I wonder if all the people who hate metro have actually gone to the effort to use it for more than just a couple of hours?

It has some very cool looking stuff. MS is finally catching up to the rest of the aesthetically pleasing software in the world. They will need to change a few things but in my eyes Win8 isn't looking bad at all, especially if the windows phones and tablets are successful...We could be looking at a more uniformed platform but at the same time still have the freedom of windows without all the restrictions that Apple have on their devices.

The ease of Apple synchronization across devices with the freedom of windows is something I hope MS get right.

jnemesh

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
When are they going to declare "Metro" dead? If they did that, then MAYBE Microsoft can have a future. If they keep pushing the crap that is "Metro" on us, I see a dramatic shift to other platforms in the works!

Status
Not open for further replies.