Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Launch For July 29

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

I'm sure we'll migrate once they get the GUI right. They= users, not Microsoft. I'm sure there will be quite a lot of people asking for a GUI upgrade and once GUI upgrade packs become available, and the rest of the inconvenients are taken care of, there would be no reason not to make the switch. The thing is to make a switch with 0 trade-offs. There's no reason for the drawbacks Microsoft forces upon us - once they're erased, people currently reluctant to downgrade to Windows 10 will certainly upgrade to it.

You do Realize that the windows 10 interface is the way it is because of US right because since last september Microsoft has shaped windows 10 based on all are feedback including the GUI stuff and icons and this is from a vast a amount of windows insiders that you yourself could have had part in .

over 5 million insiders and out of all 5 millions the way the UI currently looks is the way we wanted it and while sure some very minor few dont like it . it is highly customization to your likeing

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Something seems fishy about this "free" upgrade. I feel like they are trying to get everyone on windows 10, then slowly charge for features that were already there on windows 7 and 8.

Microsoft is a business after all, and you cant make money giving away stuff for free, unless there is a catch/benefit.

Still, I'm probably going to get windows 10 the day it comes out :p
People are still paying for every new copy sold through OEMs, Dell, HP etc Which is the majority of new PC sales so I'm sure they will still make plenty of money.

3ogdy

Distinguished

If adding transparency to Windows 8 means Aero is back, then the future of Microsoft's Windows is quite dark, but at least it's a step in the right direction. People who don't like it should stick to using Microsoft Paint-based OSes.

Yes, maybe that's my mistake, an assumption that everyone (or at least the majority of Windows users) sees progress the way we do.
Well, since Microsoft can put out nearly anything (except something way too different in terms of usage, not design) and people will swallow, I suppose they're right not to care about anything since there aren't that many on a global scale complaining about regress.
We're on our own, but I'm sure there will be ways to deal with it and turn mistakes into actual progress.

3ogdy

Distinguished

I do realize that. I have actually been a Windows 10 TP insider since the early public tech preview build. I also know that under "Theme / Personalization" the most upvoted complaint/suggestion contained the following words (literally) : "The windows 8 theme is ugly...", "...bring back aero glass..", "Let us use the Windows 7 theme...", "bring back aero", "allow us to use XP, Vista and 7 themes under 10..." . Need I go on? No.

I believe MICROSOFT ERASED THE POST AFTER SOME TIME. It had tons of upvotes and replies and suggestions. I was obviously among the ones to support the suggestions. I was very optimistic about the change all those people would bring to Windows 10. I even provided graphical depictions of what could be done. It was getting to obvious what people wanted from them and they didn't like it.

What do we get from a Microsoft claiming "We listened." with big and clear letters on their main website not too long ago? Ignorance.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
5 Million insiders do not represent Windows XP/7 market shared. Microsoft listened to wrong feedbacks mostly coming from Windows 8.x owners which are irellevant on the market.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Its Windows 8 with a start menu. I've been using the preview for a while now and there is little diff between Windows 8 and Windows 10, which is a good thing I guess when it comes to people migrating from windows 8 or even 7, but it's nothing that's going to set new records by any means. although I do suspect it to be more popular then windows 8, but I don't know if I can say the same about windows 7. my biggest gripes are, there is still no option to revert the start menu back to the classic start menu. ms still wants to push its metro stuff onto people in some shape way or form, by jamming it into the start menu. i'm not a fan of the ribbon navigation menu either, the navigation menus in windows vista and windows 7 worked just fine, I wish there was a way for ms to have an option of a classic windows 7 style windows navigation menu to choose from instead.

wow the fact that you cant tell much of a difference between windows 8/8.1 and windows 10 makes me laugh. How about the numerous new features how about everything in windows 10 is just light years better then what we current get with windows 8.1 so much has been improved that iot is not justa small upgrade it is rather a huge upgrade

the fact that you think it's light years ahead of windows 8 makes me laugh. sure there have been changes but overall there aren't any drastic changes to make it actually a completely new os. matter of fact ms's oses are since vista has followed more on the lines of windows 9x builds in how each build was more of a refresh then an actual new os.

[/quote]

3ogdy

Distinguished

Windows 10 is identified / was identified as an updated Windows 8 kernel until not too long ago. I think they changed the name now, but during my testing, I was actually testing what should've been 8.2...

The difference that we don't see is in the kernel and from Vista to 7 and 7 to 8 the kernel was heavily reworked. Yes it is still based on a lot of the original ideas behind the modern (meaning not based on MSDOS with a GUI over it) Windows starting from Vista but it has a lot of change that we don't see in how it operates.

10 is pretty big in the back end in terms of changes. You have to consider the same OS is being used for ARM based smartphones/tablets/netbooks and x86 based phones/tablets/desktops etc as well as the Xbox One. That takes a lot of reworking on the backend of a OS to make it support that much variation in hardware design and purpose.

Is it completely new? Hell no. OSX is still based on the original design and even Linux is still Linux at its core, the only major changes come to the GUI (which most people complain about when it changes)

3ogdy, I get what you are saying but again it is preferential. I look back at XP and wonder how I could tolerate the colors and design. You want MS Paint that was it. Bright Green with blue task bar? 7 still looks good but I move on to the next as I am in the IT industry and no matter what it is better for me to actually know the next product instead of staying ignorant to it. Personally, again personal preference, I don't mind 8s GUI look. I think 10 so far looks better though and yes, all Aero was is transparency to make it look like glass. If you took that away then 7 would have been just as flat color wise.

I don't however get why you think the GUI design is regressing. Regressing to me would be to remove heavily used core features, not making design changes. That would be like saying a new car design is regression because you don't like the way it looks or the layout of the controls yet it still has all the same features, and even some new ones, of the previous version. 10 has all the same features of 8.1 with some new ones. It just looks slightly different.

The kernel number changes slightly with testing. It starts out as the same as the previous version with slight jumps in the version until the final build is launched. Same thing happened with 7, and people said 7 was supposed to be Vista SP3.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

I'm sure we'll migrate once they get the GUI right. They= users, not Microsoft. I'm sure there will be quite a lot of people asking for a GUI upgrade and once GUI upgrade packs become available, and the rest of the inconvenients are taken care of, there would be no reason not to make the switch. The thing is to make a switch with 0 trade-offs. There's no reason for the drawbacks Microsoft forces upon us - once they're erased, people currently reluctant to downgrade to Windows 10 will certainly upgrade to it.

You do Realize that the windows 10 interface is the way it is because of US right because since last september Microsoft has shaped windows 10 based on all are feedback including the GUI stuff and icons and this is from a vast a amount of windows insiders that you yourself could have had part in .

over 5 million insiders and out of all 5 millions the way the UI currently looks is the way we wanted it and while sure some very minor few dont like it . it is highly customization to your likeing

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

XP is irrelevant if anything. Win8 has a larger user base as of last year. People on XP are almost exclusively people on ancient PC's which will eventually change over when they upgrade at some point.
The few remaining stubborn individuals that are still using it to spite themselves or what ever reason they have aren't changing no matter what MS does with 10 so why bother with them.
Win7 is just a slightly worse version of 8. I can understand people sitting on 7 since 8 was only an incremental improvement and people didn't want to pay for a small gain.
I agree the metro window was a terrible idea but I can't complain about it really. I've almost never seen it. I didn't adopt Win8 until Start8 was available restoring the more traditional start menu. It's the first thing I install on a fresh install on Win8 meaning I've probably seen the metro screen 6 or 7 times in how many years now?

The first build indeed was quite stable, but it lacked a lot of features and especially a good graphics design.

f-14

Distinguished
all the buggy stuff they can't fix by july is being removed, it's already starting to happen from when they first rolled it out, i've noticed 3 features i liked are removed. windows 10 will be like microsoft office, yearly subscription, only the first year is free, after they get you hooked they pray you will buy, but expect a little crook if they can't get you by hook, such as your old OS lics. being no longer working/valid for your old OS

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

That's easily fixed with a free copy from your local torrent library.

Actually torrented versions of Windows usually come with a bunch of crapware and even malware at times. Obviously people would not distribute illegal versions of Windows if they did not get something (money) in return. People don't do illegal activities for generous purposes.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

You sound as if have spent your life in an incubator protected from the harsh realities of the world.
People crack and release software all the time just because they can.
If you download a copy from pirate Bay, sure it might be filled with malware. Believe it or not though there are places that one can obtain software without the worry of malware and virus'.
It's the exact same reason people steal cars just to go for a joy ride, not to make money from it. Just because they can.
Money isn't the only motivator to everyone in this world.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Windows 10 is worse than Windows 8.x because Microsoft metrified complete Windows UI including desktop. Just look at calendar (tray icon) which opens non sense metro UI calendar taking enormous screen space. It is just tasteless and awful looking.

Breppic

Reputable
May 17, 2015
Windows 10 is worse than Windows 8.x because Microsoft metrified complete Windows UI including desktop. Just look at calendar (tray icon) which opens non sense metro UI calendar taking enormous screen space. It is just tasteless and awful looking.

LOL red77star always has something postive to say about Microsoft products. Do you get paid to write these things, or are you acting like an idiot free of charge?

Here is my problem with microsoft:
The reason it became popular was because it allowed the user to modify things (like create your own folders, change screen savers, install word and games etc.

But the trend in the last years is to take away from the user the ability to do so.
I know they say its because we can then make windows easier and safer for the users, but in reality it archives the opposite. People dont learn anything and are frustrated and limited functionality.

Due to this I think Windows will keep loosing customers over time even to MACs (after all, macs were using that formula for YEARS and even today its not working well for them).

3ogdy

Distinguished

Couldn't agree more. What's the point in removing something that was already present in the system? Optimization and stuff...blah blah blah, alright. Don't make it default. Bring that shitty Windows 8 GUI to the front by default but let users choose whatever they like in your so-called "Personalization" section.

Can you believe the shit they throw at us?
In windows 8 a "Theme" was actually a wallpaper and a different color for the taskbar. Like....are you effing kidding me right now? Are they even awake?

3ogdy

Distinguished

The thing with XP was, USERS WERE ALLOWED TO CHANGE BOTH THEMES AND COLORS.
XP had Luna in Blue&Green, Silver&Green, Olive&Green (the green being the start button, obviously).
The colors aren't necessarily the main problem but rather the design itself. If you take a look at XP and compare it to Windows 2000 / Windows 98 / Windows 95, you clearly see an upgrade, a more polished look, a progress. 7 looks alright, somewhat worse than Vista, but it's more than acceptable. I also agree with you on the fact that being the I.T. guy, the "techy one", and all that implies you need to get to know the latest and greatest in order to be able to help the others and not only. But I'm not switching to something newer just because it's newer if there's no progress in the areas I consider important for my experience with that product. Windows 10 might look a bit better because of small tweaks, but overall, it's the same look. Thank God they brought transparency back at least. It makes it look more professional than Paint-made OSes, but hey, to each his own - I'm glad we have options to choose from after all.

FXWG

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Win 10 is Microsoft's introduction as a "service" instead of a product. In other words they are moving to a subscription deal like Office 365 or Adobe. According to them once you update to 10 you will receive free lifetime updates for the "SUPPORTED LIFETIME OF THE DEVICE". Get it? That means whenever MS decided that they are not going to support Win 10 anymore, then you get the privilege of paying whatever they decide to charge for a monthly subscription fee. I'm not sure about the limited functionality everyone is talking about here but I would imagine that those will be offered as stand alone options or upgrade packages to the base program.

FYI that is what MS has always done with all their operating systems. when a version of windows stops being supported like windows Vista or XP MS will not update them any more but will offer a price for businesses who still use the OS to keep getting updates. heck, toms posted a news story last week about the US Navy paying MS millions of dollars to keep giving them windows XP updates.

so by your statement windows has always been a "service"

Status
Not open for further replies.