Microsoft Convinces Googlers to Switch to Bing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Crap! I forgot to add!

I've tried bing... didn't need it. Still google for me.

This AD "Study" is bogus as much as the lame vista Mojave ads.
Vista still sucks and I don't like it. While Win7 is based off of vista - it has fixed most of vistas issues and I use Win7 every day now.

G

Bing pays me through cashback when i buy things on newegg, tigerdirect, etc. (in the last month its made me $500 on the $6k i spent)so i def like that, but i still search through google. bing has web 3.0, google still uses web 2.0, but i like 2.0

rcarlton

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]FSXFan[/nom]@rcarlton: That's why I use Firefox. [/citation]

You and me both.

Firefox + Adblock is a sweet combo.

G

These people are idiots - they must just like the pretty pictures on the homepage. This article prompted me to try both side by side to compare, and bing doesn't find half the relevant that Google does. Bing wouldn't need the related queries on the side if it gave you good results in the first place. And I don't know what the girl was talking about when she effectively implied that finding flights is a one step process - it took some navigation to get to it, and it doesn't even list results from my favorite sites - Kayak and Orbitz. Bing is basically useless in comparison. The only thing I use it for is the Bird's Eye view in the maps section if Street View of the location isn't available in Google.

rcarlton

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]deathblooms2k1[/nom]@rcarltonWhy do you care what the typical user has to search with as long as they can find their results? Do you have stock in google? If you don't it shouldn't matter to you as long as they are satisfied.[/citation]

Hey there investigative reporter - chill a sec and slap on a second Thorazine patch.

No, I don't own shares in Google. Or Microsoft, or anyone else in the search space for that matter. (Do you?)

The point I was trying to make was that "Bing-creep" disrespects the owner of the computer. It does so when IE8 installs Bing and then requires consumers to go in after the fact and manually remove it no matter what their initial choice during install was (unless it was Bing from the get-go.)

Microsoft knows that corporate clients won't go for this sort of weasel behavior. Enterprise customers deploying via IEK8 get what they want, the first time.

I've noticed mainly because I end up helping out my family members and friends with their computers (like a lot of people here) - and eventually I recognized a pattern. I kept getting calls asking me what "Bing" was and how/why it got on their PCs and how to get Google (or Yahoo) back.

I still stand by my initial point - great products should show some integrity and be best-in-class not just in what they do, but how they do it.

TNM

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007
Are there anyone else that feels like a lot of the "quotes" in this clip is quite "canned"?

Sounds very much like they have been on a 1 week training (brainwashing) camp on how to use bing with optimal suggestions on what to search for.

randerson

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I generally find what I'm looking for in both search engines. I only have Google as my homepage because I like Gmail.

BadKharmaCDN

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
neither of the 2 web pages that are mentioned in the story are Search Engines .... so why make a big deal about some popular and exploitative simpleton webpages like bing or google ? the results that are displayed when you think you've "searched" for something are only what others have looked at from previous "searches". and i am suprised that some of the readers of online computer magazines (like toms hardware) have'nt the common sense to remember to stay cautious about visiting "popular" web pages

G

I think people just don't want to give bing a chance, because it is microsoft; I think if people would just try it out, they would see the benefits, like shopping on bing, looking for videos on bing, (hovering over the videos play them, so you don't get "rick rolled" by a 13 year old) and the look is impressive, Google just doesn't fit a new computer look, and in the age of HD it is simply too plain for me. That said, I will use google if bing doesn't find anything, and at work I use google because that is the default homepage, but I often can't find my obscure searches on google, that more often then not, are on bing's 1st page.

What is wrong with a little competition? I love my android phone, but if google had it their way, they would be just as evil as any other big company. (remember how congress looked into yahoo and microsoft's search deal as antitrust, which even if you combined their shares of the market, would still be an underdog) If google wasn't behind that, I really have to wonder if congress still believes the internet is a series of tubes.

G

Whats the difference between google or bing or any of the dam search engines? You type it in, it pops up.

It's like watching the news @ 11pm, You typically end up watching whatever channel you are on; because it doesnt matter what channel you are watching its all the same shit.

But here is where google gets me. The area where I can tell a big difference between the 2 sites, is the News section. Google's makes solid use of my 16:10 aspect ratio monitor, while MS's is for some reason is stuck in a 4:3 setup. So with Google's I dont have to scroll down as much and more of the screen space is utilized. That reason alone pulls me over to googles site. Its not faster, it doesnt give better results; it just has 2 columns instead of one in the news section.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]The really sad part is MS thinks everybody is stupid enough to believe their advertising.[/citation]
Yeah because google users don't need adverts to tell them what to do they have random elitist online to tell them what to do and they too can feel like an elitist. Just ask yourself one question how long does gmail need to be in beta it was want 3 years until gmail finally moved out of beta but all new features puts you back into beta. Personally i like google for 1 reason it's spell check is more attuned to me more or less. Anyways about google being more accurate you do realize that searches unless you opt out of the feature are all saved by google and it improves their guess work, bing does the same thing the more you use it the better it gets.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]WTF "15 is a small sample size" ? 15 PEOPLE DISQUALIFIES IT AS RESEARCH. PERIOD You can not call 15 people "a study." It is a focus group at best, and a Microsoft picked one at that. Is there no real news to report on, or does Toms's now just rehash press releases by google, apple and MS?[/citation]

just stop right now....
it said 10 out of 15 people switched. 10/15 is a fraction compared to a whole
so they could have surveyed 1500 people and 1000 switched to bing. thats 10/15 brah. dont rant if you dont know

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]impulse fire911[/nom]just stop right now....it said 10 out of 15 people switched. 10/15 is a fraction compared to a wholeso they could have surveyed 1500 people and 1000 switched to bing. thats 10/15 brah. dont rant if you dont know[/citation]
Er... the article states that there were 15 "Googlers".

GoldenEye4ever

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I tried Bing, but I'm not a fan of their image search.

While MS has really come a long way in the last few years (PhotoSynth, Win7, Bing Maps, etc...) I still prefer Google.

But I really hope MS keeps making great free software otherwise we wouldn't even have a choice (don't say that Yahoo is a choice ;))

tsmatthx2

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
You'll keep linux and google and keep your freedom? Are you...not smart? lol You must be from China where they make you do things lol. No one makes me choose Microsoft or Bing or Yahoo or Google, durrrr. If you get bored, go ahead and invent a transformation of the way the World operates lol, good luck.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hmm...
If you want ease of use and don't give a damn, then IE8 + Bing.
If you want something different, then FF + Google (or Opera, Safari, Chrome etc.)

Bing makes for a great adult search engine though. =D

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[b[There is no such thing as a good godzilla, sorry...[/b]

I don't like microsoft, but neither do I like having Google as a "good" monopolist. Look what the "good google" is doing:

1) killing sites like sourceforge
2) killing video content providers with low ads pricing on youtube, youtube is not profitable, but google can afford it. On the other hand it keeps pressure on the concurents
3) ridiculous attempt to take on Firefox, shameless "chrome OS" hype
4) Oh, froogle, right...

tnai

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
People forgot that Bing is still in its infancy and Google has been there for a long long while. However, Bing can find things too so it's like an added bonus for (information) "searchers." I'd like to be neutral it's good to have both- instead of arguing over which search engine is better, enjoy both.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Just let me write here that all these opinions surprise me a lot when looking at all the recent news about Microsoft products especially Windows 7 and IE8.
I feel happy to know that still exists reasonable people here at THG, with its own opinions, that aren't censored by the usual 20+ negative message feedback to force hiding response posts when writing a negative opinion about Microsoft products or in favour of Google, Linux or Mac products.

Status
Not open for further replies.