Microsoft Convinces Googlers to Switch to Bing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarlton

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Install IE8 (is it still even optional?) and even if you have Google set as your default search engine, Microsoft adds Bing to the list at the #1 spot.

For most non-technical folks the IE option selections are so arcane that they just click through. But let's say that you're a geek and you tell IE that you don't want any of its options - or better yet - not to change anything and you'll decide at the end.

Bing's still been inserted into your browser no matter what only - not you have to delete it.

Set "Keep my search providers updated" - Bing comes back.

And - I think it's also delivered/set again via compatibility view updates.

Only way I have been able to stop the "Bing-creep" is to remove all traces and then select the "Do not change my search provider" option.

If it's so good - why the sneakiness?

Moreover, it feels like one of those "negative options" subscriptions - Microsoft will keep Bing in no matter what you choose unless you can figure out how to stop it.

While most Tom's readers could figure it out - ask yourself what your Mom, Dad, sister would/will do when presented with those choices.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm convinced, anything MS does is glorious and perfect, we must obey and send them money just because of their perfection.
I'll keep my Linux and Google and freedom from you, MS, thank you

justiceguy216

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
those ads are rather good...they just got me to try Bing. meh, it's got some cool stuff, but misses a few useful results that Google finds. I'll keep using both.

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I don't think any search engine will ever dethrone Google because it's now hard-wired into society. Somehow, telling somebody to "bing it" just quite doesn't have the same impact as "google it"

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
@rcarlton: That's why I use Firefox. Well, one of the many reasons, but a good one.

I decided to try Bing on my own for a week but I didn't make it. It does some things as well as Google, some things not so much. I didn't really find any advantages for the way I use it but I definitely found some disadvantages. Halfway through the week I changed my homepage back to Google out of frustration since I kept having to go back there anyway.

Also, I just prefer the plain and simple look of Google.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
WTF "15 is a small sample size" ?

15 PEOPLE DISQUALIFIES IT AS RESEARCH. PERIOD

You can not call 15 people "a study." It is a focus group at best, and a Microsoft picked one at that. Is there no real news to report on, or does Toms's now just rehash press releases by google, apple and MS?

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
People use bunghole I mean bing because when you install IE8 it uses it by default. How fare is that? Bing only got Bling but nothing else. I agree with FSXFan, Google is simple and easy loads quick with no krap. rCarlton is right about the bing-creep too! Another reason why I use FireFox!!

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I use both about equally. Sometimes if I search and Google doesn't find what I'm looking for, Bing will most likely find it and vice-versa. I like both UI's, though I think Bing looks nicer. Therefore I have Bing as my home page with google in the search bar. Why does it seem like it has to be one or the other?

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Um who cares? it's like hey I'm orange, eat me. Then the other, hey I'm apple. eat me!

You know what? I'll take both and eat whatever the hell I want.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
@rcarlton

Why do you care what the typical user has to search with as long as they can find their results? Do you have stock in google? If you don't it shouldn't matter to you as long as they are satisfied.

Microsoft is not even close to the only company who does this with their software. I prefer firefox, the other day I was showing a friend the benefits of the firebug addon in firefox, I knew this person preferred IE so I made sure to uncheck the default browser settings when installing firefox for them, sure enough as soon as the browser popped up we were prompted with the set as default option, which you have the specifically check don't display again before hitting no. Point is they all do it, whether it be media players, browsers, java, etc. Every company has an agenda including google. I think it's ridiculous to only fault MS for it. All company's are self serving, Google is no different.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
As one that uses IE somewhat regularly (alongside Google Chrome), a former Firefox nut, and who sets his default search provider in IE8 to Google, I have never seen it automatically switch back to Bing. It works just as well as setting your search provider in Firefox and Chrome. So I don't know what's going on there.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
You can't trust a study like this. I myself switched to Bing cold turkey several months ago, but I still don't trust this study. It's like trusting a study by the tobacco industry on the health effects of smoking.

tiredwolf

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Microsoft still the same ... they won't be happy unless they have a 80% market share in search, and no one else has more than 10%. Because there is nooooo waayyy you can use more than one product, it must be just theres. Im all for competition, but microsith pisses me off in that they don't snag users because they make something good and useful. They find ways to make you use their product, like changing the default search engine in other browsers to bing without asking the user. Or only offering directxversion x in their new OS which you must purchase. Not that its better... but you MUST purchase it if you want to play new games. -_-

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]rcarlton[/nom]Install IE8 (is it still even optional?) and even if you have Google set as your default search engine, Microsoft adds Bing to the list at the #1 spot.For most non-technical folks the IE option selections are so arcane that they just click through. But let's say that you're a geek and you tell IE that you don't want any of its options - or better yet - not to change anything and you'll decide at the end.Bing's still been inserted into your browser no matter what only - not you have to delete it.Set "Keep my search providers updated" - Bing comes back.And - I think it's also delivered/set again via compatibility view updates.Only way I have been able to stop the "Bing-creep" is to remove all traces and then select the "Do not change my search provider" option.If it's so good - why the sneakiness?Moreover, it feels like one of those "negative options" subscriptions - Microsoft will keep Bing in no matter what you choose unless you can figure out how to stop it.While most Tom's readers could figure it out - ask yourself what your Mom, Dad, sister would/will do when presented with those choices.[/citation]

why does it matter? you search, so long as the results are meaningful, who cares what engine is used. Can either set it as home page, or just, you know, have google in your favourites if thats what you want to use, honestly, moist people I know who aren't pc savvy have google as a favourite and visit it when they want to search... the search box isn't as obvious as you'd expect.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
For those who are having problems with Bing Creep with their browsers.

... stop using IE8. Its the same stupid crap Apple does with iTunes in which they shove in QuickTime.

I never see Bing, I use Opera 10 and is very nice - better than ever. Only 2 websites I use requires IE (grrrr) - for testing, I notice that Ie8 does stupid things... like when opening bing search results - it opens a completely different browser window! hello?? tabs!

Or when I am done with IE - it bugs me about the tabs.

With Opera - if I have 8 (whatever) tabs when I close or shutdown. When I use it again, all those tabs are there, waiting - with the back buttons (cache) functional. I also notice, with IE8 - when going to google.com - there is an ad-box for Google Chrome. With Opera, no box.

Status
Not open for further replies.