News Microsoft Details How It Made Windows 11 Faster Than Windows 10

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
That sounds all good and nice but it comes across as marketing fluff. It's no different than what Apple does to try and sell you their latest hardware. I am NOT anti Windows 11. What is key for me is will Windows 11 improve how I play games? Will they run faster because the OS has been optimized? Windows 10 touted Game Mode which allowed games to run run faster. It was similar to the MS-DOS days where you created your own Autoexec and Config.sys batch files for playing games.

IMO from all the games I played in Game Mode, it had zero effect on those games. The framerate and experience was pretty much the same. So we'll see if Windows 11 really makes a big difference where it counts the most for me, games. If not I'll stick with W10.

Reactions: Jake Hall

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wish they stop acting like only people who will use it own laptops

clearly their ad company thinks they do

Details about how to performs will have to wait until its out and people can compare exact same systems against each other. I can't tell you myself as I haven't played a game in 11 yet.

Thats 1st time I heard about any changes that aren't just graphical.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I get much of my multitasking work done in background, I certainly hope that these features are either smart enough to know the difference or can be toggled off.

I might open 7 tabs in a few seconds and I want those tabs populated when I get to them.

I do not want cell phone capabilities on my desktop.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I'm impressive how Microsoft can make so many good and bad changes to one OS.

On one hand, these improvements are very, very good. I hope they can find other points of improvements.

On the other hand, it's not just an OS, it's an entire MS solution. OneDrive by default, Teams integrated, Edge, online accounts, data collection everywhere. Is it so hard to just get an operating system upon which we can install the services we need, instead of getting a bulky spying monster that we need to chop down?

I mean, seriously, this news alone makes me want to use W11, but then all the other issues feel like too much of a compromise.

Makaveli

Splendid
These are some good updates.

Windows 10 is already very fast on my system but I will take it. However I won't touch Win 11 until 2022. I'll let others beta test it on release.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Is it so hard to just get an operating system upon which we can install the services we need, instead of getting a bulky spying monster that we need to chop down?

If you want to avoid the espionage factor, then dual booting some sort of open source operating system is a must - the BSDs or Linux.

Google really mainstreamed turning its users into the actual product and at this point I cannot name a thing that Google doesn't spy on, but Microsoft and Apple cannot help themselves but to also dip into people's lives and data following Google's creepy lead.

Sam Bi

Commendable
Mar 7, 2021
Is this an admission that prior to this new release they really had crappy software and did not have the appropriate developers ?
Or, they were in a conspiracy with hardware mfgs to force us to upgrade to make up for the software deficiencies ?
Hey, just asking for laughs

I have a GREAT idea : how about removing the cruft from the OS itself to make it faster? Stuff like constant indexing, spying on the user, trying to sync an account that isn't setup, trying to phone Microsoft servers all the time, running 1000+ background services and processes for whatever reason...
No? Ah well - I'll keep my penguin then.

Reactions: Kridian
This is marketing BS. And it even sounds like they're approaching from a Browsers perspective, not even talking about general tasks (hard threads?) utilization terms, so this makes the header/title of this really bad/inaccurate. So... Either the article is written (or reported on it) incorrectly, or MS doesn't know what it is talking about (not that marketing teams ever do, anyway).

Regards.

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
I get much of my multitasking work done in background, I certainly hope that these features are either smart enough to know the difference or can be toggled off.

I might open 7 tabs in a few seconds and I want those tabs populated when I get to them.

I do not want cell phone capabilities on my desktop.
I also have a similar tab usage style, and i also think that it is pertinent.

hannibal

Distinguished
i wish they stop acting like only people who will use it own laptops

clearly their ad company thinks they do

95%+ people only use laptops, so why would they not optimise for laptops?
That is the only marketing segment that is Big enough to make optimizations!
Desktop users normally have faster computers, so they will get faster responsse times in anyway. It is purely looking the numbers and market.

Reactions: Soaptrail

Geef

Distinguished
My only hope is when I'm playing a game and I alt-tab to Spotify to change songs it won't totally unload the game from memory and need to reload it 10 seconds later when I switch back.

tmcc

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
How much faster would Windows be if they disabled all of the telemetry spyware and fluff overlay form windows that attempted to unnecessarily simplify Windows 7 presentation's of settings?

tmcc

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Practically zero for a decently performing PC.
Just the antimalware and windows defender services add 2-3% CPU utilization on an i7 11700k while the system is powered on and idling. That is not practically zero.

Should those things be available ? Yes, but at the users' discretion.

Just the antimalware and windows defender services add 2-3% CPU utilization on an i7 11700k while the system is powered on and idling. That is not practically zero.

Should those things be available ? Yes, but at the users' discretion.
My system doesn't do that.

And if a user wants "complete" control over their OS, there's an OS for them.

EDIT: It's an old post but https://linustechtips.com/blogs/ent...s-10-lean-do-anything-for-gaming-performance/

Someone stripped Windows 10 down pretty damn far and it didn't really do much to improve performance.

tmcc

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
My system doesn't do that.

And if a user wants "complete" control over their OS, there's an OS for them.

EDIT: It's an old post but https://linustechtips.com/blogs/ent...s-10-lean-do-anything-for-gaming-performance/

Someone stripped Windows 10 down pretty damn far and it didn't really do much to improve performance.
That's funny. In the link you posted, the Antimalware service is clocking at 2.2% CPU utilization in their test.

Just because MS can do these things and it doesnt cost me 10% of FPS, doesn't make it acceptable to desktop users.

I don't have the problem either but its because I disabled all of the garbage in group policy etc manually.

In fact, in 1998, lets recall that microsoft lost antitrust litigation by making it difficult to allow users to choose their own software.

Apr 1, 2020
This kind of thing would be real news in...2005. In 2021 unless you go extreme low end Chromebook territory, it's very common for ~$600 Windows computers to come with 8GB RAM, quad core processors, and 512GB storage, and it's Microsoft's own stupid fault that the MINIMUM requirements aren't set high enough so that even the cheapest machine will be capable of a decent experience, because we have all seen those HP machines in Walmart for $300 that will be slow as daylight.

It doesn't matter how fast and secure an OS is, for a lot of people it has to look good, be intuitive, and "just work", something Windows 10 finally got to with 1901, and have a really good reason to upgrade. The fact that any machine not capable of TPM 2.0, which excludes a lot of still really snappy machines (especially those with Ryzen 1000 series hardware) means a lot of people won't want to upgrade because it means buying a whole new computer. For laptop users who have bought a laptop in the last couple of years, possibly to work at home due to Covid, if that laptop doesn't have updates for Windows 11 then they surely won't update. For many more people, myself included in this group, Windows 11 doesn't bring anything new to the table except a subjectively worse UI, so there's no reason for them to upgrade.

Reactions: Sam Bi

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
This is an MS ad, hosted by TH.
Ick.

I'll be one of the many millions that won't be updating to 11, because I can't even if I wanted to.

D

Deleted member 2783327

Marketing fluff. I'll believe it when I see it.
But even if W11 is "faster" one there are so many down sides to the OS that even if this stuff were true it's not enough to sway me. None of my 10 PCs will have W11 ever. The TPM requirement is not noble as M$ have tried to make it look. No thank you. It's my PC I will choose what I run and when, and that is none of M$'s business.

Seriously, how much data can one company collect before they are just mirroring people's drives?

DSzymborski

Titan
Marketing fluff. I'll believe it when I see it.
But even if W11 is "faster" one there are so many down sides to the OS that even if this stuff were true it's not enough to sway me. None of my 10 PCs will have W11 ever. The TPM requirement is not noble as M$ have tried to make it look. No thank you. It's my PC I will choose what I run and when, and that is none of M$'s business.

Seriously, how much data can one company collect before they are just mirroring people's drives?

It's your PC, but it's not your software. If you don't want things to be Microsoft's business, you don't have to enter into a business relationship with them. There are ample Linux choices out there.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

tmcc

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
It's your PC, but it's not your software. If you don't want things to be Microsoft's business, you don't have to enter into a business relationship with them. There are ample Linux choices out there.
There really isn't though if you want to game. you're kind of locked into Windows still right?

I can understnd that I can always boot to tails if I want to remove all trace of my activity... but its not practical for day to day workstation usage.

Genuine question - no sarcasm. I'm all for trying something new if it exists.

DSzymborski

Titan
There really isn't though if you want to game. you're kind of locked into Windows still right?

I can understnd that I can always boot to tails if I want to remove all trace of my activity... but its not practical for day to day workstation usage.

Genuine question - no sarcasm. I'm all for trying something new if it exists.

Linux compatibility for games has improved tremendously in recent years.

In any case, Microsoft and a multitude of other companies already have a treasure trove on you, me, and anyone in this thread. Given that you're paying the cost anyway, you might as well get your part of the tradeoff. If you don't want traces of your activity to every company out there, your only actual option is to go cash-only and completely off the grid.

Reactions: hotaru.hino