Microsoft Details Windows 8 Upgrade Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Finally, consumers performing a cross-language and/or cross-architecture (32-bit to 64-bit) installation won't be able to upgrade or keep their Windows settings, files or applications. "Whether running Vista or Windows 7, these users won’t be able to keep their existing Windows settings, personal files and applications or data. They won’t be allowed to upgrade this way, period," ZDNet reports.
Kinda makes it sound like this is something new....

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"Now the question remains: Is Windows 8 Worth $15 for New PC Owners?"

Weird, I thought that this stupid question had been answered already.
Just in case, the answer again is NO.
I won't be downgrading to Windows 8.
Neither will most users, we will continue using Windows 7 until a REAL OS warrants an upgrade.

Is that clear enough?

G

For a desktop PC, windows 8 is absolute garbage. I smell a failure on a scale greater than vista, just IMHO.

Its great for tablets - however, what is great UI wise for tablets is NOT good for a desktop PC.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
What will Microsoft do when they see Windows 8 adoption rates start dropping after a month or so? Is there going to be a free, mandatory upgrade from Windows 7? That's been their behavior lately, "if you don't like what we're doing, then you're wrong"

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]What will Microsoft do when they see Windows 8 adoption rates start dropping after a month or so? Is there going to be a free, mandatory upgrade from Windows 7? That's been their behavior lately, "if you don't like what we're doing, then you're wrong"[/citation] There isn't going to be a "free" mandatory upgrade, Microsoft would never give their OS away for free. What Microsoft will do is implament secure boot to prevent people from downgrading to win7 and to force people to upgrade to win9.

odd_enough

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
*facepalm*

Is it worth it? HELL YES. I was against the desktop experience until I actually tried it as a workstation OS at home. "downgrade"? You, sir, are out of your mind. I normally work with multiple windows open at a time at the office. Yes, I understand it looks like it would be a downgrade, but I assure you, as a 3D artist who works with many multiple demanding programs at a time, this is an absolute step UP. The multi-monitor support is a very much needed upgrade. As for non-business users, I don't see Win8 being bad either. Metro is ultra-intuitive and the flow is perfect.

So again, *facepalm* Why is everyone so scared of something different? o_O

G

I have been a long time Apple hater but windows 8 is so bad I might actually switch. Way to go Microsoft, destroying a good thing

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I doubt that many of those who have made the choice to stay with xp will upgrade. If 7 wasn't enough to pull them away, 8 definitely won't be.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
XP upgrade path...? ba..bwahahahaha! That is funny. Pretty much everyone STILL on XP are not going to touch Win8 with a stick or a supermodels's hands.

I am a Vista hater... But I liked Windows7 enough to make it my primary OS while it was still pre-release version. Windows8... puke...

Windows 8 - the first OS that rapes you.

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hey Tomshardware, I read news on my iDevices. Every time I open a page on this site, the whole screen blacks out until I click the smallest fukcing x on your advertisement pane. Then comes the bottom right of the page being flipped up with the whole screen blurred out. What the fukc is this shiz? This is the second time I've addressed this issue that I demand you stop hijack my fukcing phone, damn lame azz b1tch!

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
[citation][nom]crazypcman[/nom]I have been a long time Apple hater but windows 8 is so bad I might actually switch. Way to go Microsoft, destroying a good thing[/citation]

wow u wanna go from a os that will still run all your programs fine to a os that will not run anything your use to and a completely different gui, please go troll somewhere else. my experience with the fud crowd from the computer store i work at 9 times out of 10 run pirated copies of windows so if your running a pirated copy of windows then you dont have any say in the matter

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I loved XP, than moved to 7 which I have been using for 2 years now. It does a lot of things better, but it is also a downgrade in some areas for me which I rather have the old XP way. Most of which is in the GUI, I don't like the "Ohh SHINEY" approach I was barebones basic and effecient approach. KISS = Keep It Short & Simple. From what I've seen so far windows 8 haven't fullfilled that requirement yet for me, though it does a few things better from my knowledge it how it does things (though not in the GUI). I keep and eye out to see if that changes and if by release or SP1 if the desktop GUI is better I make a switch.

But for now I wouldn't pay to "upgrade" even if it cost me $1, in fact they couldn't make me upgrade if they paid me a couple hundred to make the switch as it stands right now. And I really do hope that my attitude towards it changes by them making improvements or else I just may skip this one like I did Vista, though that was for how it wasn't fully supported by everything yet back than.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]"Now the question remains: Is Windows 8 Worth $15 for New PC Owners?"[/citation]
To loosely quote Robocop: "I wouldn't buy that for a dollar."

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
win8 ultimate oem is a day 1 purchase for me :p, loved the rc on my laptop but ati made shitty drivers so had to downgrade back to win7 :(

G

Seriously.... all the current apps work exactly the same, on the desktop, the same menus, options, Windows Explorer, etc... so now instead of doing WinKey->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad or WinKey->type Notepad you do WinKey->type Notepad (hummm sounds exactly the same) or WinKey->scroll->Notepad.

It's just a new menu but adds a ton of live stuff which is nice. It has the bonus of not being gadgets cluttering your desktop so when you switch to the desktop, they're all out of the way.

Come on....

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]odd_enough[/nom]*facepalm*Is it worth it? HELL YES. I was against the desktop experience until I actually tried it as a workstation OS at home. "downgrade"? You, sir, are out of your mind. I normally work with multiple windows open at a time at the office. Yes, I understand it looks like it would be a downgrade, but I assure you, as a 3D artist who works with many multiple demanding programs at a time, this is an absolute step UP. The multi-monitor support is a very much needed upgrade. As for non-business users, I don't see Win8 being bad either. Metro is ultra-intuitive and the flow is perfect. So again, *facepalm* Why is everyone so scared of something different? o_O[/citation]

Thank you Microsoft PR spokesman.

Status
Not open for further replies.