Question Microsoft Edge Set to Dark Mode Randomly

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I opened Microsoft Edge today and found that the search bar at the top of the screen randomly switched to some kind of dark mode (which makes the URLs almost impossible to read). The weird thing is, I didn't change this and there was no browser or Windows 11 update that would have triggered this. It just HAPPENED.

I checked my Edge settings, and it's still set to system default (which in Windows 11, my colors are "Choose your default Windows mode = Dark" and "Choose your default app mode = Light" in the settings menu)

This has always had a white bar up until today, not sure why the random change. Anyone else experiencing this or know why it happened out of the blue?

szHjcyL.png

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
Solution:

So as it turns out, this was something that changed on a theme I was using (via Microsoft's official theme store). I had the Halo - Alpha Halo theme installed, and for some reason this decided to glitch out (I assume it's a glitch, because it hasn't been updated since January 2021, and the default is supposed to be the darker blue colors with a white background in the search bar, not all dark).

When I revert to the default theme, the lighter search bar comes back.

To fix this, I used the "inspect" option in the browser and found the URL of background and saved it locally on my hard drive. Then set the Edge them to "Cool Slate" which is pretty close to the colors the alpha themes used. Then applied the background in the Page settings > Edit Background menu of Edge. It looks pretty good now. Still using the "dark mode" theme, but the text is now offset to white and easier to read (so I can live with that):

JWbVHu4.png

Here is the background link, if anyone would like to use that:

https://i.imgur.com/99VkJOj.jpeg

99VkJOj.jpeg