Microsoft Extends Support Lifecycle for Windows 7 and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

kish20

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Hopefully MS will not regret doing this. This makes it even less compelling for customers to migrate to the shiny new Win 8 later this year!

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Smart move as most users do not upgrade their OS within 5 years of getting it. Hell, if I didn't encourage my parents to upgrade their computer, they would probably still be using Windows 98.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]Good. With the way Windows seems to be heading, I'm sticking with 7 for quite some time.[/citation]

That's right; I'll keep Win7 just because its logo is so much prettier :)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Without the extension, it doesn't make sense for Vista to be supported up to April this year while XP lives on to 2014. For me the OS dies with the hardware it's installed on.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
"Microsoft Extends Support Lifecycle for Windows 7..."

Me: Wow, what great news! Did they finally realize how BS Windows 8 is?

"...and Vista"

Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

d-isdumb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]let vista die, its begging u to pull the plug[/citation]
Windows 7 is Vista with a new name and some changes, aka Vista SP2 is Win7.
Win 7 64 is staying on my gaming rig until I am basically forced to upgrade but that will so far down the road the hardware will basically be slow and it will be time for a new rig anyway so 7 is staying on my Q9650 until it dies. Still run XP for games that will not run right under Win7 64 like Oblivion and legacy games (Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale) on a Mini Mac under Bootcamp, works great.

I really don't get why people are so tied to their OS. XP was good, Vista was acceptable after SP2, 7 has been awesome, and 8 Dev has been great as well (cant wait for Beta!). I tend to hit every 2nd version of the OS for my personal home network (98SE, XP, 7, ...9?), but once an OS is more than 5 years old then generally my computers are new enough to take advantage of the features/stability of a newer OS. Granted 7 has been rock stable (unlike previous versions)... so will I have reason to move to 9 when it becomes available? I guess only time will tell.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Right on. I can now keep Windows 7 for much longer, though I would like it if they would cut Vista off now as, its not worth the disk it comes on. I would like it if XP would stay supported, as its great for those old clunkers laying around the home. They make great download stations and music streamers for the stereo.

gbean02

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
When I'm gaming, using Photoshop, or Open Office programs,listening to music, or watching movies, I see zero difference between my Vista and Windows7 computers. Both are solid OS's with no blue screen or crashing programs. I would like to know what the anti-Vista posters are doing that make them revile it so much. Please answer, because a thumbs down or hide my message with no rebuttal offers zero insight to your reasoning.

freedom4556

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]Right on. I can now keep Windows 7 for much longer, though I would like it if they would cut Vista off now as, its not worth the disk it comes on. I would like it if XP would stay supported, as its great for those old clunkers laying around the home. They make great download stations and music streamers for the stereo.[/citation]
It's not like the boxes instantaneously stop working when their OS falls off the support list. You just stop getting updates. If you really care about the security you should've updated long before then anyway.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gbean02[/nom]When I'm gaming, using Photoshop, or Open Office programs,listening to music, or watching movies, I see zero difference between my Vista and Windows7 computers. Both are solid OS's with no blue screen or crashing programs. I would like to know what the anti-Vista posters are doing that make them revile it so much. Please answer, because a thumbs down or hide my message with no rebuttal offers zero insight to your reasoning.[/citation]
Did you use Vista when it first came out and before the Service Packs? Vista might be better now but it was rather bad at first. I had to deal with Vista a lot when ti first came out and I hated it, I jumped to Windows 7 as soon a the beta was released and never went back.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
The reason many people hate Vista isn't necessary because it's really that bad. Its a psychological thing as first impressions are the most important. Vista had a very horrible start and was buggy and very unstable at the beginning. As a result, people like me who installed it at the start held onto that discontent and never looked at it again. I will be honest and say that I haven't used Vista since that horrible day when I installed it and was so horrified that I was forced to reinstall XP that same day. XP had the same problem too and many people held onto their precious Win 2000 till the bugs were work out of XP. The big difference with Windows 7 was it impressed people by the fact that it was stable when it was still in the beta stages which was unknown of from previous Win OS's. People like me who saw the buggy Vista days and then had a great impression from a beta OS, eternally engraved into the mind that Vista sucks, though it might not really suck. I hope this isn't too boring but its so true.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
By the time the finally pull the plug on Windows XP it will be 13 years old. lol Who would have thought at the end of 2001 that Windows XP wiuld still be around for this long? Not Microsoft that's for sure. And Windows 7 seems like it will become the new Windows XP. I don't see very many people leaving Windows 7 for a long time. You'll be still hearing people using it long into the end of this decade.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]The reason many people hate Vista isn't necessary because it's really that bad. Its a psychological thing as first impressions are the most important. Vista had a very horrible start and was buggy and very unstable at the beginning. As a result, people like me who installed it at the start held onto that discontent and never looked at it again. I will be honest and say that I haven't used Vista since that horrible day when I installed it and was so horrified that I was forced to reinstall XP that same day. XP had the same problem too and many people held onto their precious Win 2000 till the bugs were work out of XP. The big difference with Windows 7 was it impressed people by the fact that it was stable when it was still in the beta stages which was unknown of from previous Win OS's. People like me who saw the buggy Vista days and then had a great impression from a beta OS, eternally engraved into the mind that Vista sucks, though it might not really suck. I hope this isn't too boring but its so true.[/citation]
I understand how it feels. But seriously, ask most posters who said Vista sucked, and I bet ya some of them have never even tried Vista, with SP or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.