Microsoft Extends Windows XP Downgrade to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hooray for XP PRO SP3!!! Now if only Win7 64 drivers become more commonplace....

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]eugenester[/nom]Now if only Win7 64 drivers become more commonplace....[/citation]

Been pretty good on the 3 machines I installed it on (all different configurations) If I may ask what driver is missing? I would like to know so if I see it I can avoid it lol (It = trying to install 7 64 on that hardware)

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I don't think this is necessary, but a couple of more years might be reasonable. 7 is a good OS and businesses should move to it. Businesses buying new computers could take this opportunity to start migrating. Sure people want to keep running what they have already but their old computers will only last so long. They can't put off the inevitable move forever, a move from XP to 7 is relatively easy.

I run XP at work but we have moved some of our newest machines to 7 without any real difficulty. Right now we have 4 people running 7 and 5 people running XP.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
xp is old hat, and needs to die. companies that depend on xp because their proprietary software runs on it are not companies i want to do business with. they had to have the software rewritten to work on xp 10 yrs ago, time to evolve and do it again.

i have xp mode installed just so my son and i can pretend we got stuck in the past, too bad many people really are.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]I don't think this is necessary, but a couple of more years might be reasonable. 7 is a good OS and businesses should move to it. Businesses buying new computers could take this opportunity to start migrating. Sure people want to keep running what they have already but their old computers will only last so long. They can't put off the inevitable move forever, a move from XP to 7 is relatively easy.I run XP at work but we have moved some of our newest machines to 7 without any real difficulty. Right now we have 4 people running 7 and 5 people running XP.[/citation]
For a total of 9 people. Wow... that must be hard... Try doing that for the company I work for. 56,000 employees.. There is no real incentive for companies to move over to win 7. for a comp like the one I work for it would be a HUGE cost to move to win 7. Millions upon millions of dollars. Now you tell me why they should move.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]lord_selder[/nom]Why do XP fanboys cheer this? XP is bad.[/citation]... cause they're XP fanboys perhaps?

And I completely agree with MS decision on this. I work for a university, and with our budget continually being cut, we just can't afford to buy new machines that can run Windows 7 for everyone. Our developers and GPU-intensive employees have all mostly moved to Windows 7 64-bit; but those users who do little beyond email and web-based programs, they're still running XP and it'll be that way until our state stops cutting our budget.

wittermark

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]For a total of 9 people. Wow... that must be hard... Try doing that for the company I work for. 56,000 employees.. There is no real incentive for companies to move over to win 7. for a comp like the one I work for it would be a HUGE cost to move to win 7. Millions upon millions of dollars. Now you tell me why they should move.[/citation]
those companies did the same-thing when moving from win3.1 to win95, win95 to win98, and again from win98 to XP, I don't see how its a big deal to move on from a decade-old system to win7. its much faster and smarter. I hate working with XP systems, my work computer with Win7 installed is so much faster than my co-worker's, and I never get virus and Trojan, while they need to do a reinstall/ghost every few weeks just to keep their XP clean.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
2020 is way too far. Large companies and cheap, smaller ones will wait even more before doing the switch, thus slowing the adoption of 64-bit OS, thus slowing the developpement of native 64-bit drivers and softwares.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
i wish Microsoft just cut services for xp years ago, what a waste of time and innovation. i like to move forward now, come on. I feel like we should have bin a lot more farther in the future with software by now but we drag are feet always. :(

[citation][nom]viometrix[/nom]companies that depend on xp because their proprietary software runs on it are not companies i want to do business with. they had to have the software rewritten to work on xp 10 yrs ago, time to evolve and do it again.[/citation]
Or move to linux. Companies with proprietary software should probably hire someone to write them a proprietary OS as well.

wfrantz

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I work for Ford Motor Company, we still user Windows XP to develope our software.... moving to a new OS is not nearly as easy as it sounds when an entire companies framework revolves around paticular OS details. Thumbs up microsoft.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Windows 7 is arguably the best Windows released. I have had no problems from it. I think it's more stable then XP in most aspects. And it's way better than my Vista Ultimate I have laying around collecting dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.