Microsoft Finally Acknowledges Windows Blue; BUILD 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]Dear Microsoft, quit pushing a touchscreen OS for PC users. Our desktops and laptops don't need touchscreen capabilities. We like our screens to be smudge free. Thanks!P.S. - Be smart and include the start menu this time around.[/citation]

All indications is that they are going the opposite way, and trying to phase out the desktop entirely. Windows 7 may be the last Microsoft OS I ever use.

[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]Try running multiple apps on same screen at once no thanks windows 8 is horrible for productivity i need access to multiple apps all on screen at once so far my store has sold 8 copies of windows 8 and 7 came back to downgrade to 7.[/citation]
I think you need to learn how to use Windows 8 a bit better, if you're going to be selling it to your customers, so you can actually help them. Apps are supposed to be single entity, full-screen programs. If you don't want that behavior, use a regular program instead of the app. I'm not sure I want to do business with a company that requires their employees use computers when those employees can't figure out something like this.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]Dear Microsoft, quit pushing a touchscreen OS for PC users. Our desktops and laptops don't need touchscreen capabilities. We like our screens to be smudge free. Thanks!P.S. - Be smart and include the start menu this time around.[/citation]Dead Microsoft. We don't like smudged screens. Please integrate Kinect with monitors to read hand gestures so we can use touch screen features without touching the screen.

gnodeb

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]twelve25[/nom]PLEASE give desktop users a desktop friendly GUI this time.[/citation]
Just press a Win taster. You will be amazed :p

renko2180

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
[citation][nom]lightsol[/nom]Think about AIO's, they don't suck with touch on a desktop . Metro, yeah, i kind of agree that it sucks a bit, but hey, metro more or less is a start menu. Its just a cleaner one.[/citation]

Thank you!

Metro being an expanded touchscreen took me 24 hours to realize upon using Windows 8. This comment made me register on Toms. Well said and grasped.

renko2180

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
[citation][nom]renko2180[/nom]Thank you!Metro being an expanded touchscreen took me 24 hours to realize upon using Windows 8. This comment made me register on Toms. Well said and grasped.[/citation]

Expanded start menu...darn brain.

twelve25

Distinguished
Using a desktop touch screen is not enjoyable because you have to sit very close to the screen and sit with your arm held out in front of you to use the computer. It's OK for short tasks, but extended web browsing and scrolling would be tiring to the shoulder muscles. (Just try reaching out to your monitor and moving your finger around in front of it for even 60 seconds straight)

I consider myself pretty tech literate, but I don't know what a "Win taster" is.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Windows 8.1
1) add a "choice" for Start button
2) allow a "choice" to boot directly into desktop
3) fix that stupid Metro UI only appear on one screen if using multi-screen (WTF?!)
4) reinstate $40 upgrade deal for Win XP/Vista/7 users
5) Metro Apps need to open MUCH MUCH faster!! (that circle thingy always spin at least 10sec when open many metro app)
5) profit

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Translation: We botched up Windows 8 so we need to do a reboot (windows vista to 7) again. If we do not we will not stay relevant.[/citation]
Except they're going to screw up again with the next iteration of Windows, unfortunately.

My number one issue with Windows 8 is it downloads massive quantities of data in the background, without user permission. I'm willing to bet that Windows 9 or whatever it will be called won't change this, because Microsoft assumes everyone has unlimited bandwidth. Well guess what, NOT everyone has unlimited bandwidth. 5GB per month means that I could every megabyte carefully. I have gone to great lengths to stop Windows 8 from downloading in the background, from installing firewalls, to disabling essential MS services, to disabling almost everything in scheduled tasks. The list goes on.

Oh and the taskbar has been a disaster since Vista. I can't pin any shortcut I like, like I could in XP. Not good enough, sorry, and Windows 9 won't fix this issue.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Do me a favor. Use your entire operating system without 1 single hot key for 1 month. You'll see why most people hate it. Good luck getting to COMPMGMT.msc and other the other millions of things hidden. NO hotkeys. No alt f4, no f3, no f1, no win +r, no win+ anything. If you still think its great more power to ya, but I would have to argue that you are obviously biased if you can't see why WIN8 stinks to high heaven. The general public are not hot key users. Power users are a small but vital part of the industry and when you take their ability to do their job away, easily, then you are setting millions of people on the "dont buy win8" bandwagon. That is the power of the powerusers. Lets not forget it's the pirating power users that brought to the power position they were at in the 1990s

[citation][nom]nuilop[/nom]I'm loving W8 at work: built-in ISO & VHD mounting, built-in dual monitor task bar support, new task manager is hawt, built-in Hyper-V for Enterprise/IT professionals like myself. I can see non-tech users complaining about the missing start button, but come on... you people are still bitching about it on TOMS HARDWARE?!?! LOL... the only time I used the start menu in W7 was for search and the occasional "Devices and Printers". F'n newbs.Oh... and it's also pretty sweet in a HTPC config as well, the metro UI on a 60" HD LCD is something to behold, first time I plugged it up I was amazed, convinced me to cut my cable TV subscription.Yeah... the metro UI is definitely in it's infancy, but in certain situations it's truly amazing, the desktop IMO isn't one of them... thankfully it's one click and you're to your work area.[/citation]

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Because the people here are techies, surely they know that blue targets mainly the modern ui, actually making a step into it rather than out.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]Do me a favor. Use your entire operating system without 1 single hot key for 1 month. You'll see why most people hate it. Good luck getting to COMPMGMT.msc and other the other millions of things hidden. NO hotkeys. No alt f4, no f3, no f1, no win +r, no win+ anything. If you still think its great more power to ya, but I would have to argue that you are obviously biased if you can't see why WIN8 stinks to high heaven. The general public are not hot key users. Power users are a small but vital part of the industry and when you take their ability to do their job away, easily, then you are setting millions of people on the "dont buy win8" bandwagon. That is the power of the powerusers. Lets not forget it's the pirating power users that brought to the power position they were at in the 1990s[/citation]

Umm... open C:\ (or wherever you installed win 8), type compmgmt.msc to search bar, press enter?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Seriously Toms, edit-button would be nice.

But yeah, just typing compmgmt.msc in metro and pressing enter will do just as well.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]I could every megabyte carefully[/citation]
Meant count, not could. No more link to "read comments on the forums" means I can no longer edit my posts. Seems like Microsoft isn't the only company that is going backwards. Get your act together, Toms.

[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]Umm... open C:\ (or wherever you installed win 8), type compmgmt.msc to search bar, press enter?[/citation]
Or right-click the My Computer shortcut on your desktop or start menu (I have both, why don't you?) and click manage. Much faster. I only wish I could do the same with the shortcut to My Computer I've hacked onto my taskbar. In stead I get two links on the right-click menu: My Computer, and "unpin this shortcut bla bla". Where is open? Where is manage? Map network drive? Disconnect network drive? Delete? Rename? Properties? Microsoft is going backwards so hard it hurts. I have the same problem with many of my other shortcuts.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]Try running multiple apps on same screen at once no thanks windows 8 is horrible for productivity i need access to multiple apps all on screen at once so far my store has sold 8 copies of windows 8 and 7 came back to downgrade to 7.Businesses are now learning that windows 8 is bad for productivity unless it changes they will stay away the 10 business customers we have have looked at windows 8 and specified that they will stay with windows 7 as it does not support their software ie. they NEED multiple windowed apps open on two screens.Microsoft should also change the name to window 8 there is no 's windows 8 can only view one app on screen at a time.[/citation]
More like techschmuck420. Windows 8 is identical to previous versions when it comes to productivity, with addition of UI for tech illiterate consumers that you absolutely do not have to use, ever.

twelve25

Distinguished

Surely that is a step backwards for a GUI based operating system. If people were happy running command line input we'd be using DOS. (Interestingly that's the last OS that also only allowed one App open at a time like Win 8 Metro)

I can stumble around Windows 8 just fine, but that doesn't make it friendly or usable. Ironically, most newbies could find key options and functions more quickly on a new Linux install than Win 8.

PraxGTI

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Steve Balmer has to go and the shareholders need to wake up and get someone who actually knows and understands modern IT and modern business requirements. Step down Steve...your time is up.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]ang1dust[/nom]The only downfall of the Linux distrobutions is none of the use DirectX. Untill that happens and i can take full use of my video card i wont ever switch over. I dont hate or like microsoft. I dont hate or like Apple. Both companies are American therefore that is why i dont hate them But there has got to be something better out there. Untill a Linux distro gets DirectX support (if ever and if there something i dont know about direct x please say so) i wont switch. The psudo DXsupport through Wine and Wine tools just doesnt cut it.[/citation]

Ahem, OpenGL is superior to DirectX; so you better rephrase that. DirectX doesn't have any features that OpenGL doesn't already have the capability to do. Did you not read the fine print on your GPU when it said your card is DX 11.1 and OpenGL 4.3 capable? Why in the crap do we need an inferior graphics library that is also closed source? The only real problem with gaming is that there isn't many games officially ported to Linux, and the graphics drivers don't get the same level of effort as they do on Windows. However, with a nice driver, even running a Windows game in Wine has superior FPS compared to running in Windows alone. All Wine does is translate Windows instructions and DirectX instructions into UNIX instructions and OpenGL.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]janetonly42[/nom]Not interested MS. Debian or Open Suse or pick your favorite distro Ubuntu/Conical is in bed with China now so they are off my list.[/citation]

Herp Derp, Ubuntu is used by the Chinese government, I hate China, I hate Ubuntu, I'm just a stupid idiot with illogical thought processes.

Don't you realize how ridiculous that sounds? So what if China made Ubuntu the Official OS of China. If ANY country went up to ANY linux distro and asked if they could make their Linux distro the official OS of their nation, you bet they'd accept it! Politics has nothing to do with anything here. What's the harm in getting the biggest nation in the world to use and promote your OS? That could seriously benefit Ubuntu and Linux in the long term.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]Do me a favor. Use your entire operating system without 1 single hot key for 1 month. You'll see why most people hate it. Good luck getting to COMPMGMT.msc and other the other millions of things hidden. NO hotkeys. No alt f4, no f3, no f1, no win +r, no win+ anything. If you still think its great more power to ya, but I would have to argue that you are obviously biased if you can't see why WIN8 stinks to high heaven....[/citation]

You just suck at using Window 8.
To open "Computer Management"
1) right click at the bottom left of the screen
2) select "Computer Management"

Win8 actually require less step to open computer manager than any previous MS OS. Fail example is fail...

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]mmstick[/nom]Ahem, OpenGL is superior to DirectX; so you better rephrase that. DirectX doesn't have any features that OpenGL doesn't already have the capability to do. Did you not read the fine print on your GPU when it said your card is DX 11.1 and OpenGL 4.3 capable? Why in the crap do we need an inferior graphics library that is also closed source? The only real problem with gaming is that there isn't many games officially ported to Linux, and the graphics drivers don't get the same level of effort as they do on Windows. However, with a nice driver, even running a Windows game in Wine has superior FPS compared to running in Windows alone. All Wine does is translate Windows instructions and DirectX instructions into UNIX instructions and OpenGL.[/citation]
DirectX is much more than just Direct3D though. Much of the new features come to D3D first, and D3D is actually easier to use for games. In the end there isn't much of a difference between D3D and OpenGL, it's all the other stuff which makes DirectX a coherent framework for making games from start to finish.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I justed picked something random off the top of my head. To get an idea on how stupid MS is getting, try managing advanced features in Exchange 2013. IT'S 90% all command line.

The point, which you clearly aren't able to get, is that WIN8 is great for people that know the shortcuts. Take all those shortcuts away and you'll find out why people dont like it. Most people don't know the shortcuts. MOST PEOPLE is who MS is trying to sell to(As they should). They are just failing miserably at it. If you can't see it, it's simply because you dont WANT to.

[citation][nom]Avus[/nom]You just suck at using Window 8. To open "Computer Management"1) right click at the bottom left of the screen2) select "Computer Management"Win8 actually require less step to open computer manager than any previous MS OS. Fail example is fail...[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.