Microsoft Finally Clarifies Online and Used Games Policies, Xbox One Must Go Online Every 24 Hours

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This sucks. When I played on console, I only played on weekends, so I could dedicate the week to my school work. Now I play on PC, and it's a dream, but I'm sure there are many more like me who will be affected by this.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
Man, Bill needs to step back into Microsoft and save it from itself. Truly, it's they don't want people to buy their products any more.
Windows Phone 7/8: Workflow is a complete, useless mess compared to even Blackberry OS version 4.5 let alone BB 5,6,7 and 10. Seriously, try sending a few pictures to a friend with both, for example. I wanted to like WP, but no way I am giving up my BB for that. Sorry.
Windows 8: Sorry folks, but Windows 7 is pretty much perfect for my desktop. Metro and the way open programs are handled in 8, when I tested it, was remarkable infuriating for me, a person who has used Windows since 3.1 and Linux since 1998. I would never buy a Windows 8 device. Ever.
Windows RT: Nope. Android, iOS, and even my trusty Blackberry Playbook are... simply better? All of them for ease of use, iOS for its ecosystem, Android for its customization, and Playbook for it's great integration with my Bold 9900.
XBox Dumb: Why WOULDN'T I buy a Playstation 4 instead? Really, why not? I see absolutely no reason at all to buy the new xbox, given the limitations MS is putting on how I'd be able to use a device that would OWN.
MS Office: Abiword/Gnumeric is all I really need, but Libre Office, Gimp, and a slew of other open source programs meet my needs.
Internet Explorer: Please... Please MS just stop. Buy Opera and call it a day, like I have been saying since 2006 FFS...
I don't have anything against Microsoft. I have used and continue to use some of their products every day. Why? Because the MS products that I use don't suck.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Last console I owned was SNES, which was probably the last good console too.
The only advantage consoles have had over PC over the past 15 years was the ease of use, not requiring any tech knowledge to operate.
I'm baffled by the fact that there are so many (especially young) people out there refusing to learn simplest of things like installing and configuring software in favour of fire'n'forget consoles at cost of unrivaled versatility.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
The only time i use my xbox 360 is when my internet connection is down. Talk about massive fail.
Ill be staying far away from the xbox one.

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
You people who will be buying XBox One are advocating the switch to games "as a service". You'll see where that leads you console gamers. It will be like shooting yourself in the stomach and dying slowly, realizing what's to come. Wait and see.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Well I can only hope the PS4 doesn't wind up a hot mess like the Xbox One so I can still play games like Army of Two and Borderlands series safely offline with a buddy.
If it does, well, I'm guessing I'm going to be an exclusive PC gamer forced to install hacks to bypass BS DRM on games I legally purchased...
Wait, looks like an honest gamer is screwed no matter what.

phalanxes

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Introducing Xbox One!
Your all-in-one TV tuner and bluray player!!!!!11!
It can also play games too!
Really microsoft?

G

well that's made my mind up .. I have no interest left in the Xbox one after reading that, post what they want about how spanky the new xbox one is going to be, I don't need to read about it anymore as this post given me all the info I need to know and has made my mind up, don't want it. interest now focussed on PS4 unless it has same bullsh!t have to logon or loss of gaming ability ? errm no access to playing games on a console lol wtf its not a games console then is it ?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Techguy911, so only 56% of people in N America have broadband - if you took every Xbox sold worldwide, what percentage if N America would that be? There are a lot of grumbles on this subject, but if you can install a game and play without disk, not having a connection to check would allow you to copy the game to all your friends without paying for it. We all understand the need to have the game protected so instead of saying the system is rubbish nobody is suggesting how they would keep all sides happy. Personally I would increase the online check period to 7 days, with an automatic check if the system is offline more than 7 days. All ISPs should be allowed to issue override codes to XBOne owners to extend the 7 day period if they have a confirmed network outage "Sorry sir, a digger went through your neighbourhood cable, I can text you a code to extend your Xbox offline status". Problem solved.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
People will just start moving back to PC the more they make consoles...well, like PC's. It's a stupid move Microsoft - every 24 hours? really?

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
so, i turn my xbox on every two weeks to play games. when they say "still able to use bluray" does that mean, play bluray games? or are all your games unplayable after 24 hours? if that is the case, msft will have NO buyers. I'll wait 'till wasabi one then!

Same here, but do you know how many of my PC games will work without an internet connection? Nothing that I have purchased on Steam, no AAA titles made in the last 5 years, and no MMOs.
Maybe we should rant and rave about those as well? Or are we just being a bunch of big babies at this point?

Then get a Wii, because that is about the only console that still does that. Most X360 and PS3 games have network multiplayer only, and it has been that way for a looooong time.

Perhaps this is a news flash to you, but let me introduce you to the last 100 years: Companies are out to make money. Period. End of story. Whatever console has DRM which is effective, transparant, and easy to deploy on new games, will have the easiest time attracting 3rd party developers. 3rd party developers are the ones who determine if a console will have a wide varieity of good games (especially beautiful big budget HD games), and if that means that they require your game (not console) to check in at least once every 24 hours behind the scenes then you had better embrace it because it will be a part of all platforms before long.
Oh, and you thought Indie game developers are going to be better? I love indie games as much as the next person, but they need to eat as well. They will typically release their first few games with minimal DRM to get their names out there, but after that they run to the umbrella of app stores and Steam to protect their game sales just as much as the big developers will build in their own DRM. The console with the best DRM will attract the Indie game market (except for Notch... BECAUSE HE DEPLOYS HIS OWN DRM).
The issue with the PS3 was not DRM. It was poor developer relationships, making a console that was a pain to develop for, and constant security issues that enabled cheaters to break the awards system and hack user accounts. And guess what! DRM fixes a lot of those issues. Don't think for a minute that the PS3 will not have very similar DRM to what MS is deploying. MS is merely being up front about it long before console launch, while Sony is still trying to be a Japanese company that is quiet about the inner workings of their devices.

iDunno. All of this whining and complaining is getting on my nerves. When all is said and done 90% of the people complaining here will be buying an X1 when it is available. They only reason they are complaining is because they know they are going to buy it and they are hoping that their little outcrys will make a difference before product release. But you know what? Console gamers have had at least 2 generations to police themselves, reduce piracy, reduce/stop cheating, and buy new games rather than creating the terrible monster that is used game sales. Now you are forced to have internet (What a hardship!) so that your games can check in periodically, get new content, and updates. It is perhaps the least invasive implementation of widespread DRM ever implemented. I just feel so sorry for all of you!

I did not buy a last gen console because there were very few exclusives that I had any interest to play and my gaming PC made what games I wanted to play look absolutely amazing. This time around it will be much the same, but for good reasons rather than BS reasons that affect all platforms.

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
When I hear Microsoft talking about offloading calculations to the cloud to make the console more powerful, and they're quoting almost verbatim what Lucy Bradshaw said about Sim City: "we offload a significant amount of the calculations to our servers so that the computations are off the local PCs and are moved into the cloud" - I think it's blatantly obviously what's going on here. That whole cloud thing is just a smokescreen to cover up their always online DRM.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Jack1982 "just a smokescreen to cover up their always online DRM"
Really? We know it needs to check in every 24 hours, we know the games have DRM, none of this is hidden. Where is the smokescreen?

breethon

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Sounds like MS needs to hit the streets to replace their executive staff. First trying to force people into a new OS with a crappy metro interface built for touchscreen that the majority of people don't own, to their wimpy Surfact tablets that are super slow and unresponsive, and now to this online every 24 hours requirement. I owned an XBOX 360 for 8 months before the lovely RROD came to town. Since then I went to a PS3 and have never looked back. My son was considering buying the XBOXone, but looks like we will be sticking to PS4 unless they decide to alienate customers as well. The only people I see buying this crap are the ones who are uneducated about their sucky online 24-hour DRM, or pirates who will download the games anyway. MS better change their ways or they are going to become a has been.

Covert_Klinger

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
So when mediacom/charter or time Warner goes down for a day everyone who owns an Xbox one will lose their licenses... Amazing Microsoft... Amazing...

Status
Not open for further replies.