Microsoft Flight Development Already Canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Flight is a casual flying game, it's not a flight simulator. There were plenty of flight sims in the 1990s when graphics were horrible, but now when we have the hardware for photorealistic graphics, we get games for recovering lobotomy patients like Flight.

guantan

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Saw this coming with they said this want a sim. FSX will continue on though for me. Sucks for the developers though...same fate as with the Aces team years earlier.

I did not like them cancelling ACES or terminating the Microsoft Flight Simulator series at all! I though Flight would be bad...and by theo sound of it...not too popular.

Hopefully, Cascade Games Foundry,( former ACES programers who were pink-sipped by MS Execs' Jan 18, 09,) will deliver great Flight Simulators for now on.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
The only thing cool about this game was that I could land the plane and walk around my cousin's house. On one occasion I ended up walking so far around town that I forgot where I left the plane. (This was tough because its difficult to kill a session when your not in the plane). The program really needed jets and a dogfight simulator. Its very similar to the flight feature of google earth and if they were to combine the two that would be a winner.

randomizer

Champion
Microsoft Studios is always evaluating its portfolio of products to determine what is best for gamers, families and the company...

Stick with "the company". Stop trying to determine what is best for everyone else. Gamers and families know what is best for gamers and families, Redmond suits do not.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I'm still ticked off about Microsoft closing Ensemble Studios (the makers of the Age of Empires series) and that was years ago. I can forgive Microsoft for that though. But recently, Microsoft has just been screwing up everything. It's like they don't even attempt to do any rational sane thinking. They release Flight and alienate all of their hardcore fans who want a true simulator and not some silly F2P. Then they wonder why Flight fails. You wonder how many times Microsoft can mess up successful formulas until they get into their fat skulls that they have to listen to to consumers. Forget DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. I'd rather hear Ballmer say CONSUMERS CONSUMERS CONSUMERS,

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Flight is a casual flying game, it's not a flight simulator. There were plenty of flight sims in the 1990s when graphics were horrible, but now when we have the hardware for photorealistic graphics, we get games for recovering lobotomy patients like Flight.[/citation]

It is quite dissapointing. It seems that all anyone will make that are halfway decent are for just cruising around. What happened to all the fighter and bomber simulators? Falcon 4.0 was pretty cool. Heck I remember Ace of Aces on my 286 in the 80's seemed really awesome. There was also another one with the F/A-18 hornet.

I just think it would be awesome to have one for World War I and II. Were you can fly large combat missions get in dogfights, protect bombers or bomb enemy positions and cities. Heck even have an online option for large flights in multiplayer covering hundreds of miles or single player with AI support craft.

G

I'll always have animosity towards Microsoft for closing down Ensemble Studios about 10 years ago.... RIP Age of Empires

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I wonder what the odds are that a true Flight Simulator will be made now?

I just don't understand why MS gutted such a successful and hugely popular franchise.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
If they had made it a $50-60 dollar game with maybe DLC being continents then i might have bought it. When i saw it was F2P i didn't even bother downloading it considering all the BS DLC. This was not a game you do F2P. I really want an amazing Fighter simulator with F-22 Raptors and Su 37 =D Now to wonder what company will do this, and also take over a real flight simulator like MS FS. mmm.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Companies can make decisions which can eventually be their downfall even big corporations.
Microsoft Flight was a big fail in comparison to FSX and I think perhaps I'll jump on another copy of Windows 7 before Metro 8 comes out (another fail).Even though they are friends Bill Gates should come back to replace Ballmer at the helm otherwise this is a leaking and eventually sinking ship if something isn't done.

Rej

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
need to have a Facebook account to "like" your petition. unfortunately, I deleted mine a while ago. You could try http://www.petitiononline.com/ for those of us who can't stand FB.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]It is quite dissapointing. It seems that all anyone will make that are halfway decent are for just cruising around. What happened to all the fighter and bomber simulators? Falcon 4.0 was pretty cool. Heck I remember Ace of Aces on my 286 in the 80's seemed really awesome. There was also another one with the F/A-18 hornet.I just think it would be awesome to have one for World War I and II. Were you can fly large combat missions get in dogfights, protect bombers or bomb enemy positions and cities. Heck even have an online option for large flights in multiplayer covering hundreds of miles or single player with AI support craft.[/citation]
F/A-18 Korea?

Still have that, still works. Though you can only see it in "all it's glory" if you have a Voodoo GPU. Which i don't have. :D

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Good Riddance... Flight was a joke that effed the Sim enthusiasts and the 3rd Party developers.

Note: This message does not include a cockpit view.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
When they announced it I had a bad feeling about the project and when I saw the finished product it turned out I spent actually more time downloading it than 'using' it.
As a pilot myself I was disappointed as this game does not deserve the name Flight "Simulator".
It is a toy, a game... nothing more.
And the 'pay for each additional island' concept must have sounded good in the board room but it total bull in real life. That's the problem with any large organization; the folks in charge have no idea what 'real' people are like anymore.
2+years of developement down the drain.
To bad as we all finally have the computing power in qur PCs to actually run a nice simulation.

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]It is quite dissapointing. It seems that all anyone will make that are halfway decent are for just cruising around. What happened to all the fighter and bomber simulators? Falcon 4.0 was pretty cool. Heck I remember Ace of Aces on my 286 in the 80's seemed really awesome. There was also another one with the F/A-18 hornet.I just think it would be awesome to have one for World War I and II. Were you can fly large combat missions get in dogfights, protect bombers or bomb enemy positions and cities. Heck even have an online option for large flights in multiplayer covering hundreds of miles or single player with AI support craft.[/citation]

I wouldn't mind an updated real simulation of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. In that game you could pretty much fly the whole map of Europe, attack air and ground targets in fighters or bombers on both the American and German side. I'd love to see that plus a real campaign mode where your sandbox missions shift the balance of the war.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
They screwed it up, big time. Flight was a great series before this last iteration. But I think everyone has to recognize, however, that if MSFT didn't try something then the series would have died one iteration earlier. The flight sim genre has always been an exceptionally niche genre, and one whose participation has waned over time. Considering how much money Flight Simulator X made, it was a little surprising they even attempted a new version. But they couldn't have gone a worse direction with Flight. At this point it is likely the only way we'll get another version of Flight is on pure stubbornness/pride from MSFT or the development team to not let the series end in such a terrible way.

Status
Not open for further replies.