Microsoft Flight Will Offer Free-To-Play Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultraman

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hopefully PMDG and others will develop some nice add-on planes and scenery for Flight. The default aircraft in FSX and FS2004 were terrible and lacked any realism.

I'd like to see more free to try games. I am always apprehensive on shelling out full retail price for a game without knowing whether it is a dud or not. At least with console games you can sell it back at a loss. PC games you are stuck with once you install it. I've never played a flight sim game, but i would be interested in giving it a try at no cost to me.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
So Microsoft are jumping on the so-called 'F2P' FAKE band wagon... Yes I said FAKE. This is because this is NOT F2P. F2P is the same game as a paying one but takes longer (a lot longer) to level up etc. Whatever happened to the term Demo? You might as well call any downloadable or disc demo a F2P, which is just nonsense.

That aside, it will be interesting to have a look but I think it will be too much for the average gamer and only really suit the hardcore SIM fanatics.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Microsoft FS was one of those games that I always found intriguing until I played it. I just couldn't get into it. But I will probably try to new Flight if it is free.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
The demo of FSX enticed me to buy the full game. If the graphics are top draw then this game could be amazing. Hope the level of detail sliders are better in this game if your system can't handle it though.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This sounds great, but they need to offer a full paid version that gives you access to the whole world and a large list of planes. I don't like being nickled and dimed up to 10x the cost of a retail version just to get all the paid DLC.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I remember the good ol'days where developers would send out trials/demo's of everything they made.... I remember getting 3.5 floppies in the mail for some of the weirdest games out there....

It's too bad they don't do that hardly anymore.... I think it would cut back on the pirating a little...

But this sounds like a good plan on M$...

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
@ultraman - MS has stated that no third-party developers will have a role in Flight and there will be no SDK, so PMDG and others will not be involved. Additionally, third-party developers have stated the restrictions imposed by the DLC are not economically feasible even if they were invited to participate.

@schizofrog - the serious simming community is giving Flight a big thumbs down and it appears the game is specifically designed for the average gamer. Many of the 'hard-core' features have been stripped from the game. Take a look at the Flight facebook page and see all the negative feedback the simming community is posting about Flight.

The key phrase in the article is "...after the tenth and final Microsoft Flight Simulator (FSX) title..." with emphasis on final. Flight is definitely not good news for fans of the original MFS franchise as the article says in the first sentence. However it is good news for gamers that want to try something different. It will be interesting to see if this works for MS. I'm wondering how MS will make money if they have lost their core followers and average gamers give it a try and then move on to something else. Who is going to be left to buy the DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.