Microsoft Generates 46 Percent Profit on Surface Tablet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Surface. I'm still trying to understand why Microsoft put such a low resolution screen in a brand-new device. Its 2012. Perhaps the Surface Pro will have an appropriately high-resolution screen.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]muharizj[/nom]This Zak Islam should seriously STOP blogging on Toms - that's correct, I called it a Blog because, the majority of his articles are simply opinion upon opinion wrapped up thinly in a veiled fanboyism towards Apple. Dear tom's - I've been reading articles on your site for eons and have thus far appreciated your site's technology journalism. However, Zak is dragging your site's reputation down one article at a time - please do something before you begin to really loose your readership. Thanks in advance - do what's right and restore your professionalism.[/citation]
Na... Their goal is for you to click the articles and read them. You're doing that...consistently, I might add, so why should they change their formula?

G

Until Microsoft can find a way to run x86 problem on the RT platform, RT is simply a no-sale for me. Mind you, I am actually quite interested in x86 W8 tablet and has been eyeing all the current W8 tablets in the market. So far it seems most of them have short battery life, such as 5 hours, but the display is great, with many tablets opt for IPS 1080p resolution, and the CPU processing power is mile ahead of anything iPad,Android or RT has now. If Microsoft can include a stylus which works like Galaxy Note 2, ie. able to track the precise cursor position without touching the tablet surface, put a few more buttons on the stylus to provide mouse clicks, and that will be a PERFECT mouse replacement and has the potential to make ALL existing x86 applications INSTANTLY ACCESSIBLE in a tablet form factor. A tablet like this is guaranteed to beat iPad as there is no other ecosystem which is larger, better and more capable than existing Windows ecosystem. Microsoft can still do this and instantly capture the tablet market by leveraging their biggest strength, the incredible number of x86 applications ever written for them.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
as a lot of readers already mentioned in their comments, the article's claim is grossly wrong, misquoting statistics to prove a point. Somehow all the direct costs of bring the product from the manufacturer to the end user are not considered, and also the indirect costs and expenses like overhead, r&d,... You have to give your resellers, distributors, retailers some markup to.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Surface. I'm still trying to understand why Microsoft put such a low resolution screen in a brand-new device. Its 2012. Perhaps the Surface Pro will have an appropriately high-resolution screen.[/citation]
1920x1080 if you'd bothered to do ANY research into it.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]1920x1080 if you'd bothered to do ANY research into it.[/citation]I'm not interested in the Surface in any way as a product I would buy. I'm already more than happy. Therefore, why would I BOTHER to do any research?

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Why would you compare the Surface to an iPad mini and Kindle Fire? There's much better options to compare it to in the market. Not to mention the iPad mini ends up being 42% profit, so the profit margins between them really aren't that different.

takeonme81

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
[citation][nom]260511[/nom]shut the fuck up zak "islam" what a retarded name you stupid pig fuck[/citation]
omg i love your comment. stupid pig fuck. hahaha lol.

G

[1920x1080 if you'd bothered to do ANY research into it.]

Yes, if you really bother to do any research before replying as a MS fanboy, you would have known it is 1366x768. Karma is a b**** eh?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]padking[/nom][1920x1080 if you'd bothered to do ANY research into it.]Yes, if you really bother to do any research before replying as a MS fanboy, you would have known it is 1366x768. Karma is a b**** eh?[/citation]

MS Surface Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.