Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Old News.......

Saw this at least a week ago on Softpedia.com

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I suspect that Microsoft is doing this only because they want to help kill the Adobe Flash in favor for their own Silverlight. That's just a gut feeling I have. Microsoft isn't just giving anyone a free beer.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Old News.......Saw this at least a week ago on Softpedia.com[/citation]

And some of us haven't seen such news. Not everyone has as much time as you to scour the internet for news.

To me this is New News. if you don't have anything relevant to say, don't say it at all.

G

I spend less than half an hour each day "Looking" (not scouring) to see what's new each day.

Tom's Hardware
Softpedia.com
CNN.com
FileHippo.com
Spywareinfoforum.com

The rest of the day I spend doing what ever I feel like doing providing nothing else needs doing around the house or elsewhere.

But YES, Being DISABLED, I do spend most of my time on my computers of which sadly I have become bored with lately as I have spent the last 16 years both on and off line.

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Question. Is it just me or has no one been using thumbs up and down anymore? That is how i figure out which comments i want to read or not.

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]....But YES, Being DISABLED, I do spend most of my time on my computers of which sadly I have become bored with lately as I have spent the last 16 years both on and off line.[/citation]

Oooh, burn! Now that you've pulled the cripple card out we all respect you so much more and will go out of our way not to hurt your feelings.

You do realize that using a minority status to demand legitimacy really undercuts your cause, right?

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
WMP sux. wont it slow down the browsing in ff? MS should put an agreement for 100 years on a paper, for other browsers to be able to use it for free, not the damn plugin for WMP.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rebturtle[/nom]Oooh, burn! Now that you've pulled the cripple card out we all respect you so much more and will go out of our way not to hurt your feelings.You do realize that using a minority status to demand legitimacy really undercuts your cause, right?[/citation]

Actually, it doesn't. When a normal person without any form of disability spends all of his time behind his PC, he or she is extremely sad. When a disabled person does it, it's still sad, but at least he or she has an excuse for not doing anything relevant.

[citation][nom]jisamaniac[/nom]Question. Is it just me or has no one been using thumbs up and down anymore? That is how i figure out which comments i want to read or not.[/citation]
I guess i will thumbs up you for that :) (to be honest, i am glad this is not becoming like youtube...thumbs up for >insert random quote here)

Interesting plugin, not that i plan to need it just yet.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Actually you can use thumbs up and down, but only if you read the comments on the forum, which I do because there are several advantages like:
- more comments on a page
- longer lines (it's a plus for me)
- and now there is also the thumbs up and down thing

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Milleman[/nom]I suspect that Microsoft is doing this only because they want to help kill the Adobe Flash in favor for their own Silverlight. That's just a gut feeling I have. Microsoft isn't just giving anyone a free beer.[/citation]
It's either that or the slightly less likely idea that Microsoft is actually trying to keep users happy regardless of the browser they're using. It probably took a single MS developer a half day to make it happen and it makes Microsoft look a little better in people's eyes.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Old News.......Saw this at least a week ago on Softpedia.com[/citation]

All knowing God of computers that you are. Everyone shall soon be like you and have the time to review all internet news and comment.

This article is news to me, thanks Tom's for brining this interesting article that I enjoyed reading! Keep up the good work!

[citation][nom]sportzlvr2006[/nom]Dang, whats the name of the chick in the pic?[/citation]

My wife's name is Amy.

(That last comment is not related to the picture).

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]It's either that or the slightly less likely idea that Microsoft is actually trying to keep users happy regardless of the browser they're using. It probably took a single MS developer a half day to make it happen and it makes Microsoft look a little better in people's eyes.[/citation]

It's about money. Microsoft has patents and invested into H264. If everything supports H264, content makers are going to use that. The content makers have to pay fees of course. Those fees go to MPEG LA which distributes them among it's members including Microsoft and Apple. Couple this with the low investment resources and you see why Microsoft does this.

The MPEG LA is going to get a lot of cash and if it holds a strong monopoly, the licence fees will go up and licence conditions will become more broad. Including viewers of content.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
The MPEG LA is going to get a lot of cash and if it holds a strong monopoly, the licence fees will go up and licence conditions will become more broad. Including viewers of content.
Including content that content makers give away for free. Talking about a free ride.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]jisamaniac[/nom]Question. Is it just me or has no one been using thumbs up and down anymore? That is how i figure out which comments i want to read or not.[/citation]

I discovered that it works fine in the forums, whether you use the thumbs up or down from the article or the forums. Just doesn't show in the article properly. Apparently I'm one of the only people NOT reading these in the forums.

Call me lazy, but why should I HAVE to read in the forums to see thumbs up/down, why should I HAVE to use the forums to edit comments? Why they hell do they even have Tom's Guide/Tom's Hardware comments section if they don't support squat except in the forums?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]I spend less than half an hour each day "Looking" (not scouring) to see what's new each day.Tom's HardwareSoftpedia.comCNN.comFileHippo.comSpywareinfoforum.comThe rest of the day I spend doing what ever I feel like doing providing nothing else needs doing around the house or elsewhere.But YES, Being DISABLED, I do spend most of my time on my computers of which sadly I have become bored with lately as I have spent the last 16 years both on and off line.[/citation]

Fine and dandy, but hearing the "seen it" comments everytime an article pops up is annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.