Microsoft Hints To An August 2012 Win 8 Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i will run win7 for a long, long, long time....i don't see the reason to upgrade at this time....the present OS has everything someone could ask for, or for that matter even use

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]flightmare[/nom]I still think it will be a December 21st launch.[/citation]
they better do it before that day....the world is said to end on the 21st, lol

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i will run win7 for a long, long, long time....i don't see the reason to upgrade at this time....the present OS has everything someone could ask for, or for that matter even use[/citation]

i hate the 7iu, and xp does damn near everything else but dx10 and 11 though i have an 11 card.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i will run Windows 95 for a long, long, long time....i don't see the reason to upgrade at this time....the present OS has everything someone could ask for, or for that matter even use[/citation]
Fixed that for ya!

ares1214

Splendid
From what Ive seen, ill be sticking with Windows 7. Microsoft needs to be looking to Android, Ubuntu, and even OSX for ideas and changes, not their half baked smart phone UI. We dont want tiles. We want screens to be uncluttered, and be able to acess everything we need quickly.

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
you guys should know, m$ is so superstitious..they avoid the number "13" (office 14) and love the number "7" (windows 7). So, what i think is, they're scared of 21st december, and therefore want to rush their win8 for their last $$$$$$$$ to come...

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]footsoldier[/nom]you guys should know, m$ is so superstitious..they avoid the number "13" (office 14) and love the number "7" (windows 7). So, what i think is, they're scared of 21st december, and therefore want to rush their win8 for their last $$$$$$$$ to come...[/citation]

LOL

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
People have such short memories, there is always a hardcore of people who say they will never upgrade from the previous version of Windows, even though there are obvious benefits once the new version has been released.

Windows 7, people say XP gives everything they want?
How about native DVD playback, drag and drop DVD burning, homegroup, remote streaming.
Before you say "well XP can do that" - no it doesn't, the additional prgrams you have installed do that, which unless you are a frequent flyer on dodgy torrent sites will cost extra money, certainly more than the cost of upgrading to Windows 7 where all that stuff is included at the start and doesn't add to the bloat of installing all that extra crap.

thekitty

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
If they do not suppiort the current Visual Studio 2010 tools then you're looking at an "app fail". MS has developed strong developer tools and documentation over the decades and the portability of .NET 4 to ARM shows MS can be chip agnostic. But if you must program Win8 with Javascript, then one might as well learn Apple's version of C rather than switch from C# to Javascript. Follow the money.

G

>> If they do not suppiort the current Visual Studio 2010 tools then you're looking at an "app fail".

Where are you getting the notion it will not support VS2010??

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]People have such short memories, there is always a hardcore of people who say they will never upgrade from the previous version of Windows, even though there are obvious benefits once the new version has been released.Windows 7, people say XP gives everything they want?How about native DVD playback, drag and drop DVD burning, homegroup, remote streaming.Before you say "well XP can do that" - no it doesn't, the additional prgrams you have installed do that, which unless you are a frequent flyer on dodgy torrent sites will cost extra money, certainly more than the cost of upgrading to Windows 7 where all that stuff is included at the start and doesn't add to the bloat of installing all that extra crap.[/citation]

Most people who want to do those things on XP have already purchased those add on programs and are using them now. How would a frivolous upgrade save them money, again?

If you don't have a need for DX11 graphics or more than 4 GB of RAM, XP still works just fine.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i will run win7 for a long, long, long time....i don't see the reason to upgrade at this time....the present OS has everything someone could ask for, or for that matter even use[/citation]
Ya I'm confused as to why they thought coming out with a new OS so early would be a good idea.

I was a die hard XP user until i saw just how good Win7 was(and how awful support for xp 64 pro was and how bad it ran after i upgraded ram).

Until something ground breaking is released in a new OS i don't see any reason to upgrade to a new OS any time soon. DX12 included, unless it becomes the new dx9.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Most people who want to do those things on XP have already purchased those add on programs and are using them now. How would a frivolous upgrade save them money, again?If you don't have a need for DX11 graphics or more than 4 GB of RAM, XP still works just fine.[/citation]

Well... honestly the upgrade's not so frivolous when you take into consideration that XP is reaching EOL, new software is ceasing to support it, and a large portion of XP systems are aging to the point of obsolescence. So yeah... People probably should just get the software, but folks looking for XP machines these days need to steer towards 7.

roleki

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
XP does work fine for most users, but between the security issues of XP, the hardware limitations of XP, and the increasing pool of consumer and commercial software that lacks XP support, I would say there are very compelling reasons to upgrade to Windows 7 beyond mere bells and whistles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS