Microsoft Hires Former Apple Retail Exec

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The Apple marketing team is the only thing I like about Apple.

They can sell people shit if they cover it with cum and stick a big shining Apple logo on it, and those people would be more than happy to gobble it all up... iScat

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I think M$ is being dumb on marketing. They are software company first, and gadget brand second. Apple Inc.'s model does not fit M$. Apple Inc. needs to run Apple Stores which also serve as their repair/service depots, not just showcase stores. What they need to do is to hire Billy May and make their products more visible through TV commercial. Oh, wait. They're too late. But the ShamWow guy is still out there.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Free upgrades for everyone who buys a vista PC in the months leading up to 7's release means alot of people who have never installed an OS before trying to figure out an upgrade. I guess the MS store is a good place for them to go if they don't know someone that can help.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I'm surprised Apple Stores managed to be successful. Having a Microsoft store makes no sense to me. With Apple it made sense, since they had a whole line of hardware and software to show off and retail chains were lacking in Apple support. Microsoft doesn't have that problem. Pretty much everywhere and anywhere already showcases their products. Brick and mortar stores are a thing of the past. Microsoft is moving backwards. No one wants to pay a premium at a retail store when they can probably find a better deal online, except for uneducated people who don't know any better.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom] Microsoft doesn't have that problem. Pretty much everywhere and anywhere already showcases their products. Brick and mortar stores are a thing of the past. Microsoft is moving backwards. No one wants to pay a premium at a retail store when they can probably find a better deal online, except for uneducated people who don't know any better.[/citation]

Well there are people who are either too lazy or don't know too much about computers. When they see that Windows is a Microsoft product and they see a Microsoft store, I think they'd tend to trust who made the product more rather than some other person. An example would be on cars, if you don't know much about cars I think you'd trust more the shop of the brand that you bought it from than the mechanic on some other shop.

Of course there's the tendency that you get overcharged for what you wanted to get, but that's the price you pay for not researching info.

I don't think the Microsoft stores would last that long anyway. I would imagine them having people on the launch of Win 7, but when the hype has died down some would start to be pretty deserted.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I dunno, it could work. MS also sell the Zune, the 360 and a bunch of peripherals so it won't be solely PC based.

They might put one of their "surface" PC's in to get people in as well. I've never seen one of those so I'd go in to have a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.