Microsoft is Confident Xbox One Won't Have Quality Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There will be issues every new system has them. I'll stick with a real gaming platform the PC.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
"Microsoft is Confident Xbox One Won't Have Quality Issues"
Famous last words! This is their first attempt at an x86 and implementing several new kinect controls. They have made similar boasts with their windows operating systems, and it proned to the occasional crash/freeze. I wonder how long it will take for their xbox one operating system to get hacked or have viruses affecting its stability?
Sure, the XBOX One will not require compatibility with as many devices, but Microsoft seems desperate to convince people that it will be trouble free, to avoid potentially poor sales during the launch of their new console!

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
"Microsoft is Confident Xbox One Won't Have Quality Issues"
Famous last words! This is their first attempt at an x86 and implementing several new kinect controls. They have made similar boasts with their windows operating systems, and it proned to the occasional crash/freeze. I wonder how long it will take for their xbox one operating system to get hacked or have viruses affecting its stability?
Sure, the XBOX One will not require compatibility with as many devices, but Microsoft seems desperate to convince people that it will be trouble free, to avoid potentially poor sales during the launch of their new console!

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
"to release a device that will last for the next ten years"
-At the rate that tech evolves these days, 10 years with those specs they've released will certainly hold back games from advancing tech wise. Disappointing that they expect those specs to last 10 years...

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
So can I buy a game and let my kids play it locally on their profiles w/ the disc and NOT pay the licensing fee?
Right after the press conference announcing One, GameStop's stock fell $1.50 because you didn't address the issue, and I like buying used games because I have 3 kids and a tight budget, and I know that I'm not the only gamer in a similar situation. If MS doesn't find a way to appease this crowd, the WILL lose a pretty chunk of change from that demographic (Also younger games who would rather buy 2 used games instead of 1 new one with their hard earned allowance)

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
So can I buy a game and let my kids play it locally on their profiles w/ the disc and NOT pay the licensing fee?
Right after the press conference announcing One, GameStop's stock fell $1.50 because you didn't address the issue, and I like buying used games because I have 3 kids and a tight budget, and I know that I'm not the only gamer in a similar situation. If MS doesn't find a way to appease this crowd, the WILL lose a pretty chunk of change from that demographic (Also younger games who would rather buy 2 used games instead of 1 new one with their hard earned allowance)

EDIT: My reason for point this out is a lot of people won't want to invest in buying an XB1, regardless of the product's "Quality", to be nickel and dimed by it.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
As with most anything else, I'll believe it when I see it. It's not like any company releases a product with the stated intent that a good percentage of them are going to fail. And I highly doubt their plans for the used game market are all that great. I'll wait for a few more details, but I really don't see myself at any point using the Xbox One even if I get one for free.

I'm on my seventh 360, no joke. Of course I had 6 bad ones within the first two years alone. A few of those were red ringing right out of the box and got returned for another at the place of purchase. Only to have those ones die within a week. Then I switched over to the PC for about 3 years, and only played 360 every now and then. My sixth lasted up till about a year ago because I barely used it while I was gaming on the PC. I finally bought my seventh 360 last year when I noticed that staples had messed up the pricing on one of their units. I got the 360 black with 3 games, two controllers, a headset, and a year of XB live for only 159.99. It was supposed to be 299.99. lol. Either way when this one dies I'm done with consoles all together unless a new Unreal game(Tounament/Championship) gets released as a console exclusive, AND IT BETTER NOT!!!

I bought the 360 shortly after release even though the red ring and lockup issues were widely known. First unit locked up, I returned it. Second unit, same thing. Third unit, it locked up and I called support. They tried to tell me it was because the time on the unit was not set correctly (wtf). I set the time correctly, it still locked up. At that point I decided if a company can't get a $450 anything to function correctly, it's not worth having, so I brought it back. The above events all happened within a 3-day timespan.
Flash forward a year and a half. Reports came out that MS had all the hardware issues worked out. I picked up another unit. I ran for six months and then red-ringed. I had to ship it to the repair center in Texas. I got it back the next week and it worked for three more years then failed.
In the first two years of the Xbox 360 launch, there were reports that up to 90% of units sold had hardware failures. I can't, for the life of me, believe they put the same team in charge of this next launch?
If they don't have a three-year warranty on these things out of the gate, based on the Xbox 360's history, I wouldn't count on the quality of these units being all that high.

seinfeld1123

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
the fact they are all going X86 / 64 means cloud gaming and cross platform computing is going to be possible! I have always said put gran Turismo on windows, and the game would explode exponentially! now they have all gone the X86 route. that even means emulation will be Frigging simple and amazingly fast! I am watching very closely!!

seinfeld1123

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
LOL it shouldn't be "confident" It should be "certain" that they have tested it long enough to have it sorted out!. The fact the Chassis is huge on it. it should have ample cooling. and even if it doesn't, having such a large case , granted no one knows the layout etc of the innards. but the space will be used by modders just like the 360 xbox days but hopefully more ease

kewlmunky

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Gamestop said months ago when the whole issue over getting rid of used games stirred up that they will not carry a new consoles that doesn't support used games. Let's see if they actually have the nuts to stick to their claim.

If the console sells, they'd be stupid not to carry. They would hasten their own demise.

Now remember... None of these "engagements" are technically called wars. No one declares "war" any longer. There's too much baggage that goes along with it. If the US dictator (a true democracy has a president mind you) doesn't call it a war, they don't need the approval of any other branch of government. They can send the money of the taxpayers, troops, equipment, supplies in any direction (all funded by taxpayers and usually based on corporate interests/kickbacks) they see fit while telling the taxpayers they don't have enough funds for their own people and their own country's government programs. Just call it a "conflict" or some other less-harsh word. That's how they get around that whole "war" thing.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

You best stop revealing all their secrets otherwise.....knock knock knock "excuse me sir im agent jones from the FBI we are looking for Mr Ubercake"

Oops! Going underground for a while...

Conor4011

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
"We learned a ton from the 360 launch and we took care of our customers with the extended warranty," What!? My Xbox 360 Slim came with a one year warranty just like everybody elses did. How can they say they treated there customers with an extended warranty? No way was it covering if I damaged it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.