Microsoft is Malfunctioning, Says Former Company Exec

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]jadedmonkey28[/nom]In the old days MS would have just copied apple and made a better iphone, the Mphone. Alas we get the crappy tiles and a dismal app store instead. Samsung took the old MS role and has arguably the best smartphones on the market now. Even apple says Samsung phones are just like it's own. If MS wants to be back on top than they need to become ruthless and apple should want to sue them. Instead apple looks at MS phones and says "Really, that's all you got, we could care less."[/citation]

microsoft and apple have a lot of agreements for patents, such as the rubber band effect for scrolling

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
In Kempin's defence, if MS is able to create a social network that gives its users more privacy than Facebook, then I think I might give it a try. Been a loyal hotmail user, and it's just as good as any other e-mail services. So why not tack on one more MS services to my existing hotmail account?

Maybe MS should integrate mega.co.nz into their system, that would be awsome :)

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I'll think microsoft is really in trouble when they start listening to crazy farts like this guy.

as much as people like to bash on M$, they at least try to do it a bit differently than the competitors. WP looks absolutely zero like the iPhone in it's interface and is open to manufacturers, The surface pro is running a full copy of Win8, so you can do literally anything on it that you can on a full sized PC.

If anybody is copying Apple, it's Apple. When I have to look up a serial number to figure out which iteration of iphone or ipad i'm handling, I start to wonder exactly how "differently" they're thinking.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I think we have to remember that before Windows 95, there wasn't really an accessible OS for home computing. It was like the switch from torches and candles to the light bulb. Windows 7 was sort of like going from Edison's incandescent light-bulb, to a compact florescent - it was a relatively big step in the technical sense, but to most people it's just a different light-bulb.

The reality is that there is little in terms of OS or hardware itself that can get any but the most enthusiastic and hardcore PC people excited, and even many of those are harshly cynical about the future. Seriously, what is the next big thing supposed to look like? And don't give me tat line of "that's the point, they're supposed to wow us with something aren't expecting" because that's just bull. Every advance has been seen before it arrived. The revolution was always in the ability to implement, not in the creation of the idea. It has always been a model of people saying what they wanted in a big voice, and someone trying to respond to that voice. Instead we have Apple, who tells everyone what they should want, and so many give up thinking for themselves that what we are left with is a market that seeks to copy Apple just to survive, and a public that is more apt to whine and complain without constructively offering suggestions about what they want.

I know what's coming next - I'll be derided as a Windows fanboy or something, but what I see is a market of companies doing what companies have always done; chasing the next pile of money. They were always only innovative when that was the only way for them to break into the market, or they had a clear vision of the future and managed to secure it before anyone else. Most of these companies in the tech industry weren't the first to the ideas, but the first to implement and commercialize them. Microsoft has survived by being able to adapt, albeit in a boring manner, to the needs of their market. They usually aren't first, or flawless, but they manage to keep trying and often times manage to eek out a profitable enterprise. Apple struggled to the point they were on the verge of non-existence before they began to innovate simply as a means of survival. They came up with ideas and didn't even give the option of seeing if they would stick - they made them stick through highly aggressive salesmanship to a public receptive to that pitch.

In the early 90s, the PC was nowhere. It existed, but using it was like getting root-canal. 95 changed that, making the PC actually usable and accessible for everyone. That is not a moment that can be recaptured. It was a once in a lifetime event. It is almost like trying to reinvent the wheel. Telling Microsoft to go back to focusing on software ignores the reality that there isn't any real future for Microsoft's software. Microsoft has two pieces of software - Operating systems, and Office programs. So far as I've seen, every iteration post 95 has been received as terrible flaws. No one really cares about Office. It's sort of there, and every kid in school, and most businesses use it - a steady market, but not exciting or a source of any real revolution. They branched out from just these two areas precisely because there isn't much room for improvement. Going back isn't the answer. If anything they need to branch out further, such as more hardware, which is how they arrived at the Surface.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Aside from the stupidity of Microsoft competing with their own OEMs, this is kind of the direction Microsoft is heading while syncing up their products better. The only difference is they are forgetting the key element of making a monopoly.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]I think we have to remember that before Windows 95, there wasn't really an accessible OS for home computing.[/citation]

How old are you?

I've used computers from as far back as the Vax 11/785 (that's not a home PC, though, just illustrating a point). Commodore w/ GEOS, Apple II, & Dos/Windows 3.1 were all great advances in home computing and extremely successful. As I remember it, Dos/Windows 3.1 were the first PCs that started becoming common place in the home, and yes they were quite accessible. You could even buy computers in Sears in the 80's. That *is* accessible. Using them wasn't at all "like getting a root canal". It was more like, ZOMG, you can do that?? There was a guy, can't remember his name now, friend of a friend that got the first sound card I had heard about for his PC. Was playing Dune II *with sound* on his home PC; that was freaking awesome, 1992 or 1993 IIRC.

In 1995, the thing that drove people to buy more PCs at home was the internet, not Win 95. When Win 95 debuted people I talked to hated the start menu because it was different from 3.1. They had already been using computers, for years. That wasn't a more "accessible" move, and every time MSFT does something new, people hate it.

Also, Win 7 wasn't seen a "flawed". It is seen as a breath of fresh air after Vista, and the first true replacement for XP. Starting with 95, MSFT has an even/odd relationship with O/Ss that tend to favor the odd releases as being perceived better. 95, 98SE, XP, 7,.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
These are just some idea's I think microsoft would benefit from.

1. Add start button back to windows 8, add settings to default it to standard desktop windows mode, and call it windows 9, release "now", to win back loyal customers. (stop trying to be an apple clone)
2. Don't call windows RT, windows 8 rt, just call it windows RT, to much confusion
3. Create a true, windows 8 pro phone, powered by intel.
4. Add hybrid graphics chips to the surface tablets, to allow gaming on them.
5. Start supporting cross platform gaming between XBOX 720 and PC
6. Start advertising PC gaming, and create commercials showing the benefits of having graphics cards in PC's
7. Add default streaming functionality for gaming on all windows device's, so that you can use your tablet or phone to play games that are streaming of your home PC, and that would also allow to use tablet of phone as secondary input device's for gaming on MMO's or other games.
8. Create a microsoft operating system, just for gaming, that way, if you want to build a PC just for gaming, you can have an operating system with built in copy protection, automatically updated drivers, don't have to worry about software conflicts, shutting stuff down for better performance, ect. ect. ect.
Can always use dual boot to boot back into windows and still be able to game on windows.
9. Create an XBOX PCI card that you can pop into a PC, and Play xbox games, and vice versa, make the xbox upgradable, so you can play PC games on it also.
10. Talk with valve and merge Steam with xbox live and merge it as a default app on windows 9, again, make PC and xbox cross platform.
11. Create cloud computing (not cloud storage) into the next windows 9 or whatever, that way, if your at home working on ur tablet, and ur PC is on, it can use idle CPU and GPU processes from other computing device's. Ex. If you have a PC at home, ur apps on ur tablet will run faster, or your xbox 720 can run faster when linked to ur PC. I thought that was the original idea behind cloud computing anyways.
12. Create a microsoft store, and don't just sell microsoft products, sell all computer stuff that supports windows products, set up PC gaming machines, tablets, ect. sell nvidia, intel, amd, aftermarket products, ect. Have them setup so you can actually try them. Work together with other companies to advertise and sell stuff. (I work in a pawnshop, and I am tired of explaining to customers what a graphics card is, when that should be public knowledge, and all computers should come with a decent graphics gpu, even if your not a gamer). Advertise the importance of all these things through the microsoft store, and on television.

Just some idea's. :D

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I don't like the analogy, I am sure that lining up for hardware is completely different to software that can be downloaded.

I doubt people line up for the release of a new Mac OS.

keyholder

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
"Microsoft need to focus on facebook " ??? Why exaclty...???

its riddled with adverts, riddled with kids who upload the most pointless pictures or tpye crap that just popped out thier backside, Its riddled with so much crap its unreal... And im betting more and more people get bored going on facebook and wish they hadnt bothered...

+ why would microsuck need to focus on a dying social media site ?? if im honest i couldnt give 2 craps if FB went offline tomorrow.. there are always alternative sites.

[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]How old are you? I've used computers from as far back as the Vax 11/785 (that's not a home PC, though, just illustrating a point). Commodore w/ GEOS, Apple II, & Dos/Windows 3.1 were all great advances in home computing and extremely successful. As I remember it, Dos/Windows 3.1 were the first PCs that started becoming common place in the home, and yes they were quite accessible. You could even buy computers in Sears in the 80's. That *is* accessible. Using them wasn't at all "like getting a root canal". It was more like, ZOMG, you can do that?? There was a guy, can't remember his name now, friend of a friend that got the first sound card I had heard about for his PC. Was playing Dune II *with sound* on his home PC; that was freaking awesome, 1992 or 1993 IIRC. In 1995, the thing that drove people to buy more PCs at home was the internet, not Win 95. When Win 95 debuted people I talked to hated the start menu because it was different from 3.1. They had already been using computers, for years. That wasn't a more "accessible" move, and every time MSFT does something new, people hate it. Also, Win 7 wasn't seen a "flawed". It is seen as a breath of fresh air after Vista, and the first true replacement for XP. Starting with 95, MSFT has an even/odd relationship with O/Ss that tend to favor the odd releases as being perceived better. 95, 98SE, XP, 7,.[/citation]

You don't need to have been looking at computers in the 80s to know that XP was not well-received when it first came out. It was much more bloated than its predecessors, often criticized for looking too much like a toy, and it had a lot of other problems until SP2 such as driver issues and other stability issues. 7 was well-received mostly because it was basically a matured/improved version of Vista with an environment much more friendly to it (IE it didn't bring many, perhaps most, home computers to their knees at the time and the driver situation was far better).

Every time MS does something new, people hate it, is a somewhat accurate way of looking at things for the operating systems. 7, one of the few times where MS didn't really do much new with the OS, was one of the best received operating systems ever from MS, whereas most of the operating systems that had any borderline radical changes were generally hated at first or at least not very well-liked.

[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]These are just some idea's I think microsoft would benefit from. 1. Add start button back to windows 8, add settings to default it to standard desktop windows mode, and call it windows 9, release "now", to win back loyal customers. (stop trying to be an apple clone)2. Don't call windows RT, windows 8 rt, just call it windows RT, to much confusion3. Create a true, windows 8 pro phone, powered by intel.4. Add hybrid graphics chips to the surface tablets, to allow gaming on them. 5. Start supporting cross platform gaming between XBOX 720 and PC6. Start advertising PC gaming, and create commercials showing the benefits of having graphics cards in PC's7. Add default streaming functionality for gaming on all windows device's, so that you can use your tablet or phone to play games that are streaming of your home PC, and that would also allow to use tablet of phone as secondary input device's for gaming on MMO's or other games.8. Create a microsoft operating system, just for gaming, that way, if you want to build a PC just for gaming, you can have an operating system with built in copy protection, automatically updated drivers, don't have to worry about software conflicts, shutting stuff down for better performance, ect. ect. ect. Can always use dual boot to boot back into windows and still be able to game on windows. 9. Create an XBOX PCI card that you can pop into a PC, and Play xbox games, and vice versa, make the xbox upgradable, so you can play PC games on it also. 10. Talk with valve and merge Steam with xbox live and merge it as a default app on windows 9, again, make PC and xbox cross platform. 11. Create cloud computing (not cloud storage) into the next windows 9 or whatever, that way, if your at home working on ur tablet, and ur PC is on, it can use idle CPU and GPU processes from other computing device's. Ex. If you have a PC at home, ur apps on ur tablet will run faster, or your xbox 720 can run faster when linked to ur PC. I thought that was the original idea behind cloud computing anyways. 12. Create a microsoft store, and don't just sell microsoft products, sell all computer stuff that supports windows products, set up PC gaming machines, tablets, ect. sell nvidia, intel, amd, aftermarket products, ect. Have them setup so you can actually try them. Work together with other companies to advertise and sell stuff. (I work in a pawnshop, and I am tired of explaining to customers what a graphics card is, when that should be public knowledge, and all computers should come with a decent graphics gpu, even if your not a gamer). Advertise the importance of all these things through the microsoft store, and on television. Just some idea's.[/citation]

1. That doesn't seem like a bad idea. Although I have no problem with installing a start menu myself for Windows 8 should I want it, having that option built-in would have undoubtedly stymied the hate a lot.
2. I agree that the nomenclature for Windows RT should be different to emphasize to the masses that it is not compatible with Windows on the x86 systems.
3. I don't see why using an Intel CPU would make a phone more professional.
4. I'm not sure of the usefulness for that on a Surface Pro.
7,11. Except for the input sentence, these seem a little too much to ask for with current networking limitations and other limitations.
12: That seems like a bit of a stretch too, but the reasoning is sound.

5,6,8,9,10 (tl;dr warning for people who don't care for a very long rant about consoles).
If I had a say in the matter for Xbox, I'd do it like this:
Have the Xbox be a new PC form factor. It would only use a given graphics architecture and CPU architecture (granted tweaking over time, process shrinks, and such would be done to improve performance over time with total backwards compatibility) along with a highly streamlined OS and such so that game optimizations can be done to an extreme like they are on current consoles, but it'd be using PC architectures for the hardware such as GCN for the GPU and Ivy Bridge for the CPU or whatever. Merging PC and console markets properly could easily be one of the most "wow" things for MS to have done in a long time and could help MS a lot in many ways. For example, MS wouldn't have to go through the trouble of getting their processor custom-designed and much more.

Make an upgrade-friendly console has often been criticized, but it can be done. It would need to be doable in an extremely convenient way so that it wouldn't be any hassle for the average Joe. The components would all need to be easily replaceable without a screw driver and there would need to be no effort involved beyond removing an old component and installing a new one. For example, all components such as memory, CPU, graphics, etc. could be on extension cards that can be slid out of the slots in the motherboard with ease and installing a new component would need to be as simple as pulling out the old one and putting in the new one. There couldn't be any difficulty in getting things to work. All hardware could have a little flash chip with proper drivers built into the component's extension board so as to eliminate the mess that is drivers for desktops and laptops. If the drivers are already on the hardware and all the OS has to do to find them is copy them from a flash chip on the new component, upgrades are as easy as sliding a component out and sliding a new one in. Upgrading the system could be pretty much hassle-free and idiot-proof.

Storage would need to be both practical and affordable. The storage would need to not have ridiculous prices like storage intended for the consoles often has and like the above components, it would need to be as easy as sliding in the storage drive, but a storage drive should also to be hot-plug compatible. SATA is a natively hot-plug-capable interface (I'm not sure about first generation SATA, but I know that second and third generation SATA support hot-plug capability), so that wouldn't be a problem.

Like the current consoles, games would need to work hassle free. There can't be any compatibility/driver/whatever issues. With the CPU/GPU architectures and more standardized, that shouldn't be any more difficult than it is on the current consoles. Standardized architectures and such would mean that improvements in performance would need to be done through improving features, increasing core count, increasing memory bandwidth, etc. Architectural improvements that don't hinder compatibility can also be done. This really isn't a difficult thing to do if you look back on architectures and notice how often they are in use in for a long time. For example, from 2003's Athlon 64 up until Bulldozer, AMD's CPUs used pretty much the same basic architecture and Intel hasn't done many major changes to their architecture since Core 2 came out.

So, new hardware would need 100% compatibility with old games and new games would need 100% compatibility with old hardware, granted they would be made to take advantage of the new hardware and tone things down for the old hardware. More to the point of convenience, although games would offer manual control of settings, due to the need of new games being able to run on the older hardware and required convenience of a console, each game would need ideal specs to default to for given hardware combinations to give a proper experience. Things such as resolution and some features such as AA would need to be able to be done more or less independently of the game's control, IE older games would still need to support higher levels of current features for the time than hardware of the time supported to give people some reason to upgrade hardware even if they don't want many new games. Such forward-looking is one of the most important aspects of anything in technology and is also one of the most overlooked by companies in their products and is not something that could be tolerated if such a project as this ecosystem is to succeed. With consoles being very upgrade-friendly, games might stagnate much less in intensity increase between console refresh cycles (each refresh cycle from then on could mark when the architectures and such are given a total redesign for modernization). Porting could be much more effective at this point.

It wouldn't be perfect simply because a few concepts of consoles and PCs contradict each other, but it could at least bridge them. A console being a form-factor and derivative of PC but with most of the concepts of a console in practice could easily provide an ecosystem of as of yet unparalleled proportion in many ways.

Even more, it could theoretically replace desktops for most people. If the OS is merely an extremely stream-lined version of Windows, having a desktop environment that can run things like .Net and such when not gaming would allow it to run normal Windows software without issues for the most part. Basically, you could *boot* up most of what makes Windows Windows under the hood to run regular Windows applications without needing to have all of that bloat running when you aren't using it, IE when playing the Xbox games and other Xbox applications.

This could even go as far as having the Xbox be an Intel/Nvidia system whilst the Playstation is an AMD/AMD system or something like that with competing hardware ecosystems, but similar software ecosystems (IE both can run the streamlined version of Windows even if with different GUIs and such). Having competition between companies that is more *beneath the hood* could let both console gaming ecosystems thrive together without either in a monopolistic situation and without every company trying to do everything differently, causing inconvenience in many ways (such as the sad state of porting between and from consoles). Having them more or less unified under Windows (or Linux, it doesn't really matter so long as it's either both platforms have the same OS, or each platform's OS at least shares standards for compatibility) like the laptop/desktop world would increase convenience for everyone. For example, if both are using the same APIs and such, it would mean that developers would have it easier making games for both platforms and greater diversity in some other areas such as input devices and much more can be had. Basically, some of the modern PC's greatest advantages in standardization are realized.

As mentioned earlier, forward-looking would need to be a central focus of this. The upgrade-friendly concepts are a big part of this, but aren't everything. For example, connectivity such as USB ports, SATA, and more could all be found in a south bridge-like component on an extension card of its own so that connectivity can be upgraded. To save space, this extension card could also be where the storage drive gets slid into since it shouldn't need a lot of space on its own. The BIOS and the core OS could be more or less merged into a single entity for simplicity's sake. System/graphics memory, the CPU, and the GPU could all be part of a single extension card for further simplicity along with other advantages. Merging the system memory and graphics memory into a single high-performance pool all directly on the extension card's board for a more integrated system along with an APU to further that goal of integration compared to separate CPU/GPU chips could help alleviate common issues with both consoles and desktop/laptop systems. For example, the issue of memory bandwidth with APUs could be solved without needing separate CPU/GPU components such as discrete cards, then causing issues such as high latency between the CPU and GPU as well as redundantly having more memory chips in the system than are necessary.

The extension cards for the system could be an APU/memory card, a connectivity/main storage card, and another for the networking/wireless connectivity (Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.). I'd probably also place audio in the APU/memory card because HDMI audio would already rely on the graphics portion, so it would be simpler for any other audio connectivity to be included with that as well.

This could even go as far as having a laptop form factor (lets say with three screen size choices: 14 inch, 15.6 inch, and 17.3 inch) with most of the same concepts, but with a more mobile approach. They can still even be made in an upgrade-friendly way if desired. It wouldn't necessarily be as easy to implement given space constraints, but it could be done.

Pricing would need to be modest on the systems and on upgrades. Storage drives would need to be regular 2.5" HDDs or SSDs (I'm thinking hybrid drives would probably work great, especially since caching could be controlled to cache what needs to be cached for a given game or application for optimal performance or even better, having them be regular HDDs and the SSD cache could be integrated into the chipset on the storage extension card), allowing not only compact form factors with decent capacity drives, but also the advantages of an already established storage drive form factor standard such as compatibility with preexisting hard drives and between these systems and preexisting computers as far as storage goes.

Along with modest hardware pricing, software (IE game) pricing would need to be modest. Steam and such game/software platforms could easily be supported along with various Xbox/PS-specific titles for each hardware platform.

To summarize a little, you'd pretty much be merging the best aspects/concepts of the Windows/x86 Linux desktop/laptop platforms and the best aspects/concepts of modern gaming/general entertainment consoles. These devices could replace many lower end to mid-ranged desktops and laptops with all of the convenience of a console and advantages of a desktop/laptop with ease. These *console* ecosystems would only get more and more rich as time went on and the sheer integration/simplicity of the systems along with strict quality control could really spark a new*wow* factor for MS (and if playing along, Sony and such too, even to the point of much of the industry getting *revolutionized*). That would be something to get more excited about.

Would anyone care to share some constructive criticism and/or other ideas?

G

Kempin joined Microsoft back in 1983 when it only had 400 employees, and retired from the company in 2002 just after the launch of Windows XP. During his tenure, Kempin worked closely with hardware partners and helped Microsoft rise to dominate the personal computer market and worked with both founder Bill Gates and the current CEO, Steve Ballmer. http://retouchrestore.com/

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
If the formely-know-as-metro UI is not very welcomed in the desktop, but wait until the administrators use server 2012 for the firts time.

WTF they where thinking?.....

Selling a clunky,obtrusive UI to a command line centric market is next to impossible.I have tried and had ZERO success.They HATE anything that goes in the way of his hardware and their needs.

Slowly but steady; the M$ presence in the servers has been declining, but with this POS will be reduced to a marginal note compared withh linux.

[citation][nom]mamailo[/nom]If the formely-know-as-metro UI is not very welcomed in the desktop, but wait until the administrators use server 2012 for the firts time.WTF they where thinking?..... Selling a clunky,obtrusive UI to a command line centric market is next to impossible.I have tried and had ZERO success.They HATE anything that goes in the way of his hardware and their needs. Slowly but steady; the M$ presence in the servers has been declining, but with this POS will be reduced to a marginal note compared withh linux.[/citation]

Yeah, I was also a lot more worried about *Metro* in server 2012 than in 8... I just don't see that as a practical thing to do to the already often strained IT folks. I can't imagine servers adopting it in high numbers.

I can't even read beyond him calling the XBOX "crummy". It's in no way as good as my gaming PC, but it is pretty awesome. There is nothing like the Kinect controller in the console space or any for that matter.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I like this new console of yours...In this scenario I see games being MADE on a PC again and ported elsewhere. Which nearly nixes my hate of current consoles (holding back PC dev). Unforunately I'm pretty sure MS/Sony reads a post like yours and upgrade_1977's and say "FU we're going to lock these dang things down again any way we can". MS cutting the legs off of used games, forcing online to even play...They are accelerating their death by going further away from you two's suggestions. My guess is, they'll hit $70+ for games on these systems too. "It can do 4K I swear so you pay more dude. Higher res=you pay more guy" I can hear it already, though I think they will just be upscaled (like many now from 720p to 1080p on current ones). Meanwhile all of their competition is selling games from $1-20 (tablets, phones now - we'll see about the steambox, shield etc soon). Steam already sells games and bundles all year for $5-20 so I think we know their pricing (even after porting to linux) and all of the PC catalog play on shield/tv via PC power. A game price of $60 will be a tough sell shortly let alone more. Some of this is just because a few large publishers killed themselves with far too much overhead. Torchlight games and legend of grimrock are examples of what a LITTLE dev can do without the overhead.

Umm...Can you pitch that stuff to MS/Sony please?...LOL. Good reads...Thanks for the link blazorthon. I like any ideas that merge the platforms so to speak (I'll refrain from going into a win8 rant and ignore upgrade's win8 comments - sparing us all...LOL - sticking to console talk). It should help devs cut costs and give us BETTER games. Unfortunately I think these new consoles will be tied to 1080p and I think we're going to be shooting past that before they hit. Tablet norm this xmas will be 2560x1600 (probably even phones next year as they hit 1080P this year) and PC's are begging to go higher especially with Intel pushing 4K this year. I think it will be the selling point for TV's by year end also. So again, unless they die we'll be stuck at 1080P on PC for a long time game wise. But I think their competition might have a lot to say about their new consoles sales this time. They were all alone in the game last round. Not so now. Which sales of nintendo 3ds/wiiu/sony vita are already showing.
**rolls eyes prays for console quick death** :) You can add quick death of EA/Activision etc also...I'd rather have 100 RUNIC/Almost Human studios again like 15-20yrs ago. Games were $20-40 and lasted for 50-100+hrs. Origin, Sirtech, New World Computing, Bullfrog, Black Isle, Interplay, yada yada...So many destroyed or bought and destroyed by the big guys. Almost everything GREAT was destroyed by 1996 or so, then came the age of cookie cutter sequels etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.