Microsoft Launches Azure Cloud Service Jan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]or I could store my data on my own hard drive for nothing each month just a thought.[/citation]
Until your place burns down or something and you have no offsite backup, not to mention the fact that the hard drives costs you in the first place ;)

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]or I could store my data on my own hard drive for nothing each month just a thought.[/citation]
acecombat mentioned the backup aspect of cloud storage. But even beyond that, do you want to have to carry a USB flash drive everywhere you go? Do you ever work on projects with collegues or clients who are not all on the same network? Have you ever worked on a presentation with several people across the country by emailing the file around and then had pleasure of trying to consolidate all of the changes? Believe me, clouding storage and computing is a big deal.

G

no a big deal is, companies having ALL your data.
PRIVATE clouding storage would be a big deal. all these huge companies getting your data is suck.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nocloudplz[/nom]no a big deal is, companies having ALL your data. PRIVATE clouding storage would be a big deal. all these huge companies getting your data is suck.[/citation]
Only a fool would put their unencrypted personal/private data on any network they don't exclusively control, so that's really not as big of an issue. However, there is a risk in sharing sensitive proprietary information in this fashion. Like anything else, there are always tradeoffs between risk and convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.