Microsoft Making File Copying Better in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
It is a fairly minor element, but I do like what I see. Hopefully this is how hard they are working on the entire OS.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Looks pretty cool. Can't wait to play with the Beta to see how it stacks up. I think many of us are just happy to see that Tablet Metro UI gig isn't some permanent interface.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I've always said it's the little things that matter most. At it's core any windows version will get the job done, its improvements in workflow and efficiency that, to most users, makes the biggest difference.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
The one thing that I want to make sure they add is that it will keep copying other files in the background when it detects duplicate file names.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
There needs to be an installation option that says:

"Get rid of the Windows 8 frills and make this look like Windows 98, Windows XP or Windows 7. I only bought Windows 8 so I wouldn't run into compatibility issues for new applications."

shak2300

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
it look good, but i got 1 question why did it take them this long to make something as simple and merging the 2 copy windows together, you guys are sure slacking over there

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
no one here use terra copy? I have it installed one all my windows machines. This is no "breakthrough" they should of had this done for windows 7. I kinda expected it. It's stupid(extremely inefficient) when trying to copy/paste multiple items to/from the same destination.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Please, DO share what kind of distro you're using! Ubuntu and Debian don't have that, for one![/citation]
linux already has a better similar copying feature than xp/7

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Whom are you trying to trick? I'm an Ubuntu user (11.04) and it does NOT have that or "better" feature.

EDIT: Actually, I can't remember for sure and my mobo is in service right now, and no Ubuntu here. I therefore refrain from further arguing because my memory is betraying me xDD

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]robertito[/nom]I've always said it's the little things that matter most. At it's core any windows version will get the job done, its improvements in workflow and efficiency that, to most users, makes the biggest difference.[/citation]
Exactly, Microsoft should (and quite possibly already is) look at the most popular utilities used by "power users" e.g. Renamer, Terracopy, Daemontools, Notepad++, etc. and incorporate their features into the OS where applicable.

G

It's one of those things that wouldn't need improving if it was done reasonably well in the first place. Nothing's better than XP abruptly aborting an entire copy job if one file failed(not sure if Vista/7 do that anymore).

They could just make a basic GUI for their own Robocopy utility, Robocopy actually does it right. Just pop up a quick dialog with some sane defaults corresponding to the Robocopy CLI switches, and let 'er rip.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Please, DO share what kind of distro you're using! Ubuntu and Debian don't have that, for one![/citation]
For years that gnome puts all transfers in a single window and has the ability to pause transfers and prioritize them.

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
In this new dialog, there seems to be missing the option to select all files and say "overwrite if source is newer" when copying or moving, that is a neat feature in TeraCopy.

ps. The Suncraft picture in the demo is from Reykjavík, my hometown - very exciting! lol

stingertja

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I have the best solution for Microsoft with regards to file management.

1. Please get rid of My Computer/Computer and Windows Explorer(I know they are basically the same thing),they are not a very good file shell.

2. Get rid of auto start(I know you can shut it off) when you put in a CD/DVD's or plug in a thumb drive, the same thing goes for when I insert blank CD/DVD's

3. Go to a file shell type system like Total Commander(it used to be called Windows Commander.)It allows you handle different types of archives with out leaving the program. Has search functions that can be sent to a separate list box and then further manipulated. One button copy,move functions. The best file rename tool I have ever seen. The list goes on and on. These are just a few of the capabilities the program has.

Total Commander is the best file shell I have ever used, and it is not just for the tech heads out there. When I show this program to newbies, they love it as well.

If you are not familiar with this program I would suggest you check it out

while the average user may not use a lot of the functions a file shell like this has it should be built directly into Windows. When you are managing a lot of files, whether they are MP3's JPG's or what ever the type, it is a must to have something that is simple to use, flexible and fast.

If Microsoft whats to give it's users a better experience managing files, then a system like this is a must in any future Windows versions.

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.