Microsoft: No Tablet OS Until We Can Be Different

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I have a better idea Microsoft: How about you actually do it this time, instead of talking about it! I am stick of seeing great ideas come up in concept, only to have M$ sit on their arses for ages, pretty much opening the door for companies like Apple to take the stage. What the hell are you waiting for?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]What the hell are you waiting for?[/citation]

They're strategically falling behind the competition so they can make a comeback in a few years just to be told "you waited too long"..

how about instead of jumping on the tablet bandwagon, just release an advertising campaign showing how useless tablets really are. Then no one will have to worry about this tablet fad ever again and microsoft can spend more time making a better OS rather than having another dud like windows ME or Vista.

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Microsoft is not being honest.

Of course it is creating a tablet OS. That's Windows 8. It's being ported to the ARM processor so it can be run on both phones and tablets.

After which, the current Windows Phone 7 will be discontinued.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]how about instead of jumping on the tablet bandwagon, just release an advertising campaign showing how useless tablets really are. Then no one will have to worry about this tablet fad ever again and microsoft can spend more time making a better OS rather than having another dud like windows ME or Vista.[/citation]

me was a cash in, nothing more
vista was a failed os from the start
win 7 is vista and xps love child, and it got most of the vista traits

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/29/the-problem-with-microsoft/

Windows needs a name change.Yeah.I'm serious.How about actually pulling that stunt when Win 8 gets out? Get the long lost cool tech cred back.Hey it's as good as Apple's unicorn dust :) Change the game.Kill x32.Kill the ridiculous editions.Call it Skynet I don't care.They're moving Office and every other software products to the cloud anyways.

Meaning that to come up with a new name, it's only logical and natural to base it upon a radically new set of OS philosophies and core design decisions.Biggest gorilla should be able to deal with the biggest calculated risk.

Tablets in current real world usage scenario haven't really reached critical mass yet despite what any feverish iPad toting ranter will tell you.At best tablets are just good for media consumption and not much else probably some tweeting here and there but that's it.To create serious content on tablets now are just still a ways to go.Granted but has anyone ever looked at what's out there beyond Windows?

I don't wanna be yet another desktop Linux distro preacher but it has to be said.Aren't you amazed by what's mostly "Hey if you can please donate to us?" desktop Linux initiatives had come up with?I mean really there are distros out there that fits netbook environs comfortably and already beaten MS to tablets.Joli OS got the netbook cloud game and Bodhi Linux with their E17-centric approach to tablets.These guys runs on donations if that ever happens regularly it's just mind boggling.I don't get it tbh?How come MS with all of its billions and their own horde of arguably some of the world's best minds of devs simply can't come up with anything better sooner?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
*sigh* another case of Steve "I missed the boat again" Ballmer screwing up. With iOS, android, even qnx and palm do we even need never mind want a windows operating system on a tablet?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Hell for me all you have to do MS is make a tablet that will run normal programs. Not all these POS toys that are out now that run total garbage apps and do pretty much nothing. Thats the best reason i can give for not getting a tablet is they are total waste of time not being able to do anything really useful other then surf play music and watch some movies. I can do that on anything i already own ffs. My phone does that! Unless its going to allow me to run programs i can run on my computer and give me extra mobility then a laptop or netbook its useless. O and the second reason.. with how much those POS tablets cost i could build 3 computers almost that can not only do the same thing but they could play games better :) Though wont be as mobile but then again doesn't matter if it doesn't do anything useful.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Sounds to me they want the technology to mature enough to handle their bloatware before they will throw themselves into the fray...Makes sense...[/citation]

This. Microsoft hasn't made an OS that won't consume an incredible amount of resources for their background crap since windows 3.1 They're good at refining their product, but when it comes to having it run smoothly on a limited amount of system resources microsoft always fails to deliver. Unfortunately for microsoft, the mobile market requires that it's sleek, attractive and slim, and i'm not just talking about the exterior design.

They're essentially getting squeezed in. You have the two unix-based OSes on the mobile end growing up and slowly encroaching on windows territory, while linux is hammering away at windows in the server segment. If linux can manage to find itself as appealing in desktops as it does in servers, or android can step into big boy shoes and start shipping on lappies then microsoft's outlook (ha!) will be much more grim.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]beta tester[/nom]Microsoft is not being honest.Of course it is creating a tablet OS. That's Windows 8. It's being ported to the ARM processor so it can be run on both phones and tablets.After which, the current Windows Phone 7 will be discontinued.[/citation]

Doubtful, There was a signficant development effort put into WinMo 7. They will use it as a foundation and try to develop something from there. Windows 7-8 would be terrible as a tablet OS and the reason MS is not going there just yet is because they tried about 6 years ago and fell flat on their face.

No one is buying tablets with a general purpose OS that is clunky and hard to use because the OS was not designed for that form factor. There is only so much hardware that you can put in a 10 inch device while making it thin and light.

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Hell for me all you have to do MS is make a tablet that will run normal programs. Not all these POS toys that are out now that run total garbage apps and do pretty much nothing. Thats the best reason i can give for not getting a tablet is they are total waste of time not being able to do anything really useful other then surf play music and watch some movies.[/citation]

Um, tablets like that has been out for years... A quick search for window tablet on ebay shows hundreds, but they been nothing but a niche market until apple came along.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]thaile4ever[/nom]Um, tablets like that has been out for years... A quick search for window tablet on ebay shows hundreds, but they been nothing but a niche market until apple came along.[/citation]

100% Correct, These devices have been around 7 years now with OS's from Windows XP to Windows 7. They are absolutely worthless pieces of crap that no one buy's cause they don't work. The only one that ever showed any promise was a the Sony VGN-UX390N but it was ranged in price from $1600 to $2500 and was a pain in the ass to use practically. Cool gadget though. The rest of them completely sucked ass.

osserc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I see all the business elite are in here shoving around their usual intelligence.

Here's the point, why spend a year and millions of dollars creating a me-too tablet OS just to kill it immediately?

By the time Win8 hits shelves tablets will be powerful enough to run it... so they're just going to develop Win8, hopefully with a lightweight and modular ecosystem, and hit the tablet market when tablets become powerful enough to be taken seriously.

At this point there is no reason to have a tablet with a dock, but once tablets are running Win8 with Office in the cloud you will only have your tablet. You will dock it at home or at the office, whatever. Same computing device, take it everywhere, files in the cloud, no need for tablet plus laptop plus blah blah blah.

Win8 full featured OS plus cloud apps for the next gen of tablets. That is the take-off point. Right now they are toys, and MS isn't interested in throwing away millions to power toys for six months before the big wave hits.

My 2 cents, anyway.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Apple: Resistance is futile.

We know MS is making Win 8 for that sort of devices and we know it will be by no means better than current tablet OSes but even then they'll claim it's awesome, visual-stunning, fast, secure and reliable.

Meanwhile their best OS is actually their most neglected child. XP takes about 150MB RAM and 3GB disk, requeriments modest enough to let it run on current smartphones. Also in comparison, NT 4.0 - which is obsolete according to their own standards - uses 15MB RAM and 100 MB disk.

osserc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

Win Phone 7, according to many reviewers, is the most polished, most visually appealing, and quickest of the smartphone operating systems on the market today. So, ya know, I wouldn't count them out yet.

I have a G2 running Android and I love it, so y'all might as well can the MS fanboy crap before it even starts.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]osserc[/nom]I see all the business elite are in here shoving around their usual intelligence.Here's the point, why spend a year and millions of dollars creating a me-too tablet OS just to kill it immediately?By the time Win8 hits shelves tablets will be powerful enough to run it... so they're just going to develop Win8, hopefully with a lightweight and modular ecosystem, and hit the tablet market when tablets become powerful enough to be taken seriously.At this point there is no reason to have a tablet with a dock, but once tablets are running Win8 with Office in the cloud you will only have your tablet. You will dock it at home or at the office, whatever. Same computing device, take it everywhere, files in the cloud, no need for tablet plus laptop plus blah blah blah.Win8 full featured OS plus cloud apps for the next gen of tablets. That is the take-off point. Right now they are toys, and MS isn't interested in throwing away millions to power toys for six months before the big wave hits.My 2 cents, anyway.[/citation]

I completely disagree. Sorry but the 1st flaw in your argument is that productivity is extremely hard to do in the table form factor. Sitting at a workstation or a laptop allows you to do a number of things with speed and efficiency. Tablets are about convenience and ease of use.

Secondly, the cloud requires a large amount of bandwidth. I use Evernote and Dropbox now which are cloud applications and they work great but not over a 3g connection. Evernote does work over a 3g connection because the file sizes are small but when talking about presontations, image files, large documents, media files, applications and everything else the size of those are too be to be productive in any reasonable way over a 3g connection. LTE... perhaps but we do not even have full coverage of 3g with AT&T yet. Mind you, I am speaking from a mobile worker perspective.

G

Personally, if they can get Windows 8 running on iPad-like hardware with iPad like battery life and the Metro UI, then my iPad is going straight to my mom.

For all the talk of App Stores and ecosystems, the software that runs on the iPad is far simpler and more limited than the software available for Windows. And MS isn't terrified of mice in a dock either which would be nice.

Win8 won't be the end of WP7 though. Just because they can get it running on a tablet doesn't mean it's ready for smartphones just yet. Look for that to merge in W9 or W10.

Status
Not open for further replies.