Microsoft Officially Names Cloud-base Operating System "Windows Azure"

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
so i want to set up a home network with like 5 computers accessing one central computer, would this program be what i want? or am i looking at this wrong?!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
You're looking at this wrong.

You would use a computer with this OS, and you might start to play a game, and rather than your computer doing the processing, a network of servers would do the processing, then send the result back to your computer.

I really don't like the idea of cloud computing. It ,along with DD, seems to erodes the ability to actually own anything. While there are some benefits, I'm not interested in paying a service everytime I want to play a game. I'd much rather have a machine that does the processing without need for a network.

It would be great for businesses, and quite a few other uses. But the average person has no real need for Cloud Computing.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
You're correct. The average person does not have a need for cloud computing. Businesses however, do. The idea that consumers will want to do this is absurd. Call me liberal, but if the rich are pushing this I think it's just one more way to tap into our homes and steal our privacy. I'll do my computing at home thank you. I don't need Uncle Sam watching my every move. It's bad enough I'm connected to the internet and they're watching everything I do with their fancy algorithms. You realize you can't even pick up the phone these days without a search algorithm scanning your words? It's true. They have keyword sniffers for your voice and the government is using it to spy on you every time your on the phone. They've been doing it for years, only computers have more recently gotten stronger and allowed them to do it wide scale. I believe that the government backed the internet to monitor us even more closely, and the problem for them is that they want even more control. Cloud computing gives them just that. Binary level data anytime and anyplace. No thank you.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
you can get away from what uncle sam is doing by using anonymous browsing, or a proxy. problem fixed. why are so many paranoid people out there? btw, anything over a network connection will be much, much slower that if it was to be computed by a local computer in your house. this is scam for Microsoft to put more money in their own pockets. we don't need another crap piece of software form MicroCrap. i own both OS system (apple and windows) and Apple is a much better developed OS. i don't care who was the first and who was the second to invent the OS, from experience Apple is much more stable and functional, yet Apple is smart enough to realize that there is no need to anything like this until network systems will be much, much faster than they are now. again this cloud computing is dumb in my own opinion.

V3ctor

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
And if my internet connection goes down... no computer for anyone... Don't like that idea, I had a big fire near my house, and it burned the phone lines, I use ADSL so I was out of internet for 2weeks, until they could make the repairs, that means that for two weeks I couldn't do anything related to internet...
And why would I want a top notch cpu if all the work was beeing done by servers, and the result just popped in my screen?

Or am I just exaggerating?

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I don't have the impression that this is meant for a mainstream, average computer user audience.
But "Windows Azure?" That's horrible to try and say aloud. At least "Microsoft Bob" was easy to say. That and the lame blog post about adopting the name "Windows 7" makes me wonder who the Hell is in charge this sort of thing.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
For a business it can be a huge money saver *IF* you currently are looking at needing to purchase new hardware and can use a grid/cloud instead. You won't see quite so much bang if you already took the expense of buying all your hardware and stuck it into a datacenter... in that scenario you'd only see a return if the hourly cost for your cloud was actually less than you pay for datacenter space, air conditioning, and power for your existing hardware. You're still going to have to pay licensing fees and support fees for your services.

Grid/cloud also adds latency to your systems unless you move web servers, business logic, databases, etc. all into the same cloud. It's just a 'different' way to operate that potentially could save you money.

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
"You're looking at this wrong.

You would use a computer with this OS, and you might start to play a game, and rather than your computer doing the processing, a network of servers would do the processing, then send the result back to your computer.

I really don't like the idea of cloud computing. It ,along with DD, seems to erodes the ability to actually own anything. While there are some benefits, I'm not interested in paying a service everytime I want to play a game. I'd much rather have a machine that does the processing without need for a network.

It would be great for businesses, and quite a few other uses. But the average person has no real need for Cloud Computing."

@tindytim

ok thanks!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]I don't have the impression that this is meant for a mainstream, average computer user audience. But "Windows Azure?" That's horrible to try and say aloud. At least "Microsoft Bob" was easy to say. That and the lame blog post about adopting the name "Windows 7" makes me wonder who the Hell is in charge this sort of thing. [/citation]

Balmer. Nuff said.

G

Okay, my question is where is the processing power coming from? Is it coming from other uses unused PC power or from a company that hosts PC's. because I can totally see how advantageous it would be for slack PC power to be used even though I see huge security issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.