Microsoft Opens Up About Privacy In Windows 10 Creators Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
"Microsoft doesn't allow you to opt out of sending diagnostic information from the Settings app. You can choose from only three levels: Basic, Enhanced, and Full. The company recommends the Full setting..."

HURRRRR DUH DERP DERP I WONDER WHY DERP DERP DERP

3ogdy

Distinguished
Exactly. They just give people the sense of control, but they still secretly steal information from users, even if the options are "Off". "Relevant ads"? LmFao, how about "No ads and duck off"?
"Privacy", as they call it. Privacy concerns in Windows 10 are real, ESPECIALLY with Trump as a president.

G

As I said before Windows 10 was even released, this OS is trash...incredible how much they collect and how much they won't tell you about. OS is the biggest trash ever released.

People seem to often forget about that fact. Whether you keep them on or off they collect anyway. You don't really have a say.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
2017 when the OS is its own spyware/spam.

I get that they pretty much gave windows 10 away for free but they really should not be charging for the OS at all at this point.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

Sooner or later, M$ will figure out that their experiment with 10 has failed.

In the meantime, I hope that figure out how to not break something with this update since they pretty much have done so with every update from the anniversary update on.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I am still using Windows 7 and have completely disabled Windows Update and all spying services on the OS since late 2015.
Life has been amazing. All I need is NoScript in my Firefox and not install any BS software and bliss and amazement.
Unless someone tries to hack my machine directly, then I'm toast :p But I'm sure I'd be toast with W10 anyway.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Yet one more reason for me to keep using windows 7 and NOT upgrade.

+1 for adblock in your browser. next we will need an adblock for the OS level.

dstarr3

Distinguished

In the past couple months, they pushed a Windows 7 update that embedded some tracking components. I'd be sure to uninstall that update if you installed it.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Is this sponsored content? Why are you advocating for these horrible design choices?

Anything less than allowing users to opt-out of data collection all together is unacceptable. Not allowing users to control which updates are installed, when they're installed, and not providing information on what is being updated is unacceptable.

This is not a "free OS." You are paying with your information they're farming. Plus, anyone getting it now has to pay full price, with data collection still in place.

Stop burying your heads in the sand with this "well, I'm being tracked everywhere else, so what's the big deal" load of crap. They put cameras on street lights now, but that doesn't mean you'd let the same people install one in your bedroom. We have to draw a line in the sand: the OS is off limits.

dstarr3

Distinguished

You can still upgrade for free. They're just hush-hush about it.

Not that that makes any of this okay or anything. Just... ***THE MORE YOU KNOW***

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013

At least if we got the option to completely shut down dialing home, we could verify that by monitoring the network traffic. You're right in that Microsoft doesn't want us to have a say. Property rights are being rapidly eroded, and companies are treating purchased products as if we never own them, only lease.

Microsoft needs a good kick in the rear to be reminded that these are our pc's- not theirs.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Windows 8.1 is great, so long as you install something like Classic Shell.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

Not one for third party mods for something as essential as the shell. I simply pinned 20 things to the taskbar and never used the start menu. That wasn't that bad.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I was concerned at first, too, but it's actually pretty sensibly done. I forget specifically, but you can set it up so that if you shift- or ctrl-click it, it will bring up the vanilla menu.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Thought China was gung-ho on going the linux route and making their own distribution. Of course they won't be adhering to the GPL at all so they'll just be massive leeches but an increased user base and more potential developers with linux knowledge would still be a win for linux.

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
People complaining about Win10, and yet they use Google Android and other products. Interesting... MS makes 5% of its profit from ads, Google makes 70% of profit from ads, go figure.

alextheblue

Distinguished

LIAR! Oh wait, no, that seems accurate. Well... uh... umm... I just Googled it and Google says that Google is good and MS is bad. So THERE!! Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to grab my Android phone and fire up Facebook to complain about Microsoft privacy concerns.

"Anniversary Update debuted in August 2016, it removed the ability to easily disable the Cortana virtual assistant. You could still control what it could access--ranging from your emails and installed apps to your speech and location data--but not turn it off. That problem remains in the Creators Update."

Ok, maybe someone knowledgeable re this would be so kind as to shed light on why that is? MS says you can, for all intents and purposes, limit all Cortana can access; sounds a whole lot like turning it off, no? Yet MS paradoxically forbids the end user from turning it off & imposes Cortana's presence on the OS regardless? How does that compute? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.