Microsoft Orders Up to 5 Million Surface Tablets for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Cant wait for the fire sale on these things. With the high price and huge stockpile of these I expect to pick one up in February when they cut the price by $200 to get rid of old stock.

rgjhawkins

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I really hope the surface tab does well, I'm so bloody bored of Appla and Android.

I think the pro version will be great, imagine having all those great steam indie games on the move :)

best of luck MS!

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I was hoping to check one of these out, but don't really feel I can merit one just to play with...plenty of other toys already that fill a similar niche for me.

I do hope they do well...competition in the market is a good thing. I hope they can help spur more innovation in the market....how can this be bad to have more players in the market competing?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Having a tablet is nice, but only for web browsing, occassional simple game and checking email (not responding to email). That's all I use the 3 tablets in our house for. My wife likes to read books on hers and surf the web a little. For these activities the price is WAY too high. I know there are Kindle's etc, but I like the option of doing more (not that I ever will, lol).

Anyhow, GO MS, I hope you do well..... although I hope Win8 dies a horrible death, my experience with that on a test computer was terrible (I started to cry and shake it was so bad). It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. MS better have an update all ready to go that allows bypassing the start screen and that adds a decent start type of menu back in. The backlash will be intense and the best thing they can do is push out an update ASAP in response. I hope you are listening MS!

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]I was hoping to check one of these out, but don't really feel I can merit one just to play with...plenty of other toys already that fill a similar niche for me. I do hope they do well...competition in the market is a good thing. I hope they can help spur more innovation in the market....how can this be bad to have more players in the market competing?[/citation]
Well, it can't be bad, especially if they do well. When there is competition the costumer is always the winner.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
From the surface website.

"32 GB without Black Touch Cover

Order now for shipment within 3 weeks"

Yup these things sure aren't selling folks...

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
so they expect to sell 2.5 million a month? that's pretty damn ambitious if ya ask me, especially with that $500 minimum price tag.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I won't believe analysts anymore (never really did), after Intel's quarterly revenue turned out to be a billion more than what analysts had predicted (plus the fact that they predicted a drop in revenue).

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]so they expect to sell 2.5 million a month? that's pretty damn ambitious if ya ask me, especially with that $500 minimum price tag.[/citation]

I expect Bill Gates to buy them and donate them to Africa. There they could use them as floor tiles.

cercuitspark

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]I was hoping to check one of these out, but don't really feel I can merit one just to play with...plenty of other toys already that fill a similar niche for me. I do hope they do well...competition in the market is a good thing. I hope they can help spur more innovation in the market....how can this be bad to have more players in the market competing?[/citation]

The ceapest ones are already sold out... Toms Hardware are just a few days late to the party...

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Microsoft assumes that there are 5 million idiots on planet Earth in 2012.[/citation]

There's more than that and they purchased iPads. The surface has MS Office so that alone makes it far more useful.

Oh, by the way:

http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/17/microsoft-surface-preorder-demand-sold-out/

SOLD OUT!

Well done MS. May all the haters simply shut up. Maybe try using one?

G

Wow....and the comedy just gets better.

Sell 3-5 million to who? Who needs to have something that doesn't have much for apps. Enterprise needs to evaluate it so thats sales in 6-12 months. Regular people? Why this over an iPad?

I think Microsoft needs to lower their expectations or they will dump this into the no good pile quickly. People aren't just going to dump money onto an expensive item that has questionable merit compared to the alternatives ... building that kind of support and trust takes time.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
it's between this, ipad and kindle fires. Other android tablets are unoptimized garbage. I don't mind Android but it's far from perfect or as stable as w8/ios

_r_d_

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]..... although I hope Win8 dies a horrible death, my experience with that on a test computer was terrible (I started to cry and shake it was so bad). It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion[/citation]

Seriously, you started crying? I can understand not liking the interface, it definitely appears to be a shift from the norm (as was Windows 95), but tears. Really?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]SOLD OUT![/citation]

Sold out without touch cover but still available with touch cover. Hmm... anyway, how many preorders is that exactly? A million? 100.000? 10.000? 1.000?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]it's between this, ipad and kindle fires. Other android tablets are unoptimized garbage. I don't mind Android but it's far from perfect or as stable as w8/ios[/citation]

My Nexus 7 says hi

Status
Not open for further replies.