Microsoft Overhauling Three Core Windows 8 Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I think they would be better off providing a basic Office 365 subscription. If they're trying to kill the desktop they might as well embrace Internet-connected mobile usage entirely. All home PC users I know use web-based email (including those on dial-up connections).

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]we are so good they are copying us?[/citation]
If Apple makes fun of Metro that might make a difference. I don't think civilians can sway Microsoft to stop their foolishness.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Apple should start making some new "Mac vs PC" ads.[/citation]

Where PC is getting massive amounts of cheap plastic surgery to try and look like Mac.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Apple should start making some new "Mac vs PC" ads.[/citation]

Apple probably couldn't cost-justify the ads, given how Windows 8 trips itself up on its own.

Who ever is in charge of making an aggressive stance to push metro should be fired. On a tablet this would be perfectly okay, but for the normal desktop, no!

I mean, it's just common sense at this point to put the start menu back...

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Windows 8 looks nothing like iOS /OSX though. Actually if rumors be true, Apple is trying to make their platforms more like WP / W8.

Rob Homewood

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
The calendar app worked great and I'm sure the updates would make it even better.. no google calendar.. c'mon! I wish you two would just work it out and be friends hmph!

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]All home PC users I know use web-based email (including those on dial-up connections).[/citation]
What do you do when your email box is full? Personally I think web based email clients are fine for occasional use, but you really need a local backup, especially if like me you get tons of emails and need to keep backups.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
why can't you run those Windows apps in multimonitor setup?

if you have 2 screens, you should be able to see 2 apps at same time...

when you open one app in full screen on one screen and try to open another app on the other, the first app closes...

this is one of the reason why Windows 8 isn't popular with business and power users...they use multimonitor setup and constantly use 2 or more programs at once...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]What do you do when your email box is full? Personally I think web based email clients are fine for occasional use, but you really need a local backup, especially if like me you get tons of emails and need to keep backups.[/citation]The major webmail services have multiple GB of storage space for free. They also support POP3 so you can still use an offline mail client. The users I was referring to don't have data retention needs that require separate backups. Gmail, Yahoo!, and Office 365 all have highly redundant networks so availability problems are more likely to occur with the ISP, not the webmail provider. Many ISPs don't bother with their own email service and just contract with one of the major webmail providers.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]Rob Homewood[/nom]The calendar app worked great and I'm sure the updates would make it even better.. no google calendar.. c'mon! I wish you two would just work it out and be friends hmph![/citation]

Google ended their sync so regular users can't use their own programs to access information in their Google account...

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2716936

I don't think Google will ever bring back sync to regular users...only paid, government, non-profit, and educational users get to use sync...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Enough with the "bring back teh Start menu" drivel when you can get a freeware replacement in less time and effort than it takes to write in here to moan about it "but they should have it there already, why should I have to get it myself"
The OS does what it it supposed to do, the interface is only that - an interface - and for year it has had a trusty file explorer which I have always replaced - I get much better functionality from Xplorer2 and previously others such as File Commander
But did I moan and say "I'm not going to buy XP (or 7) because they don't have file commander built in" NO, because that is cutting your nose off to spite your face
Windows 8 is more stable and has WAY more functions than Windows 7, so will I deny myself all the benifits for the sake of spending 2 minutes installing some freeware to give me back a full Start menu with explorer extensions 'a la' Xplorer2? NO, I am very happy with my system running 100% perfect now I have not been a lazy ass expecting Microsoft to spoon feed me and wipe my ass

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Call me back when your OS natively supports more than one applications on the screen. I don't want to be switching back and forth between a webpage and a Word document, on a 1080p screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.