Microsoft Patents On-The-Fly Software Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
"Not exactly a new idea", yeah, but where is the real thing?? I'd love to be able to update windows without it pestering me to reboot.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I have mixed feelings on auto/silent updates. As of right now, for example, i have them enabled on chrome and ff, and to date have not had any issues from this; whatever update hit chrome yesterday or today changed dropdown boxes and broke a TON of autohotkey scripts i use to streamline ticket entry. Looks like i'll be back to manual updating for a while.

On the lol side, the script that i run to enter a generic ticket, mistakenly entered around 20 tickets into various queues.

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
@iceman1992:
You need to update to an enterprise version of Linux and you can update the Linux kernel without need of reboot.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Having worked in IT, usually what we do with our servers is update them a few at a time. Never all of them at once. Thus maximizing uptime, while avoiding the forced shutdown of our entire system.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]"Not exactly a new idea", yeah, but where is the real thing?? I'd love to be able to update windows without it pestering me to reboot.[/citation]

Based off my ~2.5 years of experience with Win7 x64, I only have to reboot my computer from system updates maybe once every other week. Seems acceptable to me :)

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I really don't like software downloading and installing without user prompting.
I had a machine suddenly freeze, then on reboot, the drive was trashed. The only thing my recovery tools could get were Akamai files, so it may have been a bad "silent update" or it may not, but it was definitely annoying.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
A step up from Windows xp:

"You haz update!"

-Delay-

"You haz update!"

-Delay, then walks away from computer to do something else-

"You haz update, but now it's only a 15 minute delay or auto-restart regardless of what you were doing!"

-Auto restart, with a two page English essay that hadn't been saved yet-

-A person ends up washing his tongue with soap after his parents overheard him dropping the F-bomb-

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The patent system must DIE!

It is only hindering progress and does nothing to protect small business. In fact, big business has found all the loop holes to kill competition. Something needs to be done...

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]A step up from Windows xp:"You haz update!"-Delay-"You haz update!"-Delay, then walks away from computer to do something else-"You haz update, but now it's only a 15 minute delay or auto-restart regardless of what you were doing!"-Auto restart, with a two page English essay that hadn't been saved yet--A person ends up washing his tongue with soap after his parents overheard him dropping the F-bomb-[/citation]

Yeah, this needs to stop as well. Not all of us are 5 or 80 years old. We know updates are important, but sometimes getting work done on time is more important. Let us delay it indefinitely if we choose.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]_TuxUser_[/nom]@iceman1992:You need to update to an enterprise version of Linux and you can update the Linux kernel without need of reboot.[/citation]
actually on ubuntu (the user friendly linux distro) I have to restart after kernel updates

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]A step up from Windows xp:"You haz update!"-Delay-"You haz update!"-Delay, then walks away from computer to do something else-"You haz update, but now it's only a 15 minute delay or auto-restart regardless of what you were doing!"-Auto restart, with a two page English essay that hadn't been saved yet--A person ends up washing his tongue with soap after his parents overheard him dropping the F-bomb-[/citation]
so you use a document editor without autosave, you deserve that

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]so you use a document editor without autosave, you deserve that[/citation]

In a perfect world, there are no budget constraints, red tapes, unreasonable people who have significantly more power than you do (authoritative parents), or plain outright bullcrap.

In the real world, well, it's unfair.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]In a perfect world, there are no budget constraints, red tapes, unreasonable people who have significantly more power than you do (authoritative parents), or plain outright bullcrap.In the real world, well, it's unfair.[/citation]

I love taping Ctrl+S every now and then... don't even have to move my mouse to that little drop down on the upper left :D, also Open Office, and Google docs work fine for college level courses. Google Docs even auto saves if that's an issue for ya ;)

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Oh comeon! This is far from being a new concept and it's way to abstract to even allow a patent for this. The US patent office are just a bunch of brainless tards to even allow this. I'm surprised that the entier US patent system dosen't collapse under it's on worthlessness.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]actually on ubuntu (the user friendly linux distro) I have to restart after kernel updates[/citation]
That's why he said "enterprise". But the kernel will be almost the only thing that you have to restart for... And mind, almost all desktop Linux distros (with the exception of Arch and Gentoo) are user-friendly – the advantages of Ubuntu are almost completely either historical or perceived but non-existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.