Microsoft Paying Sites to De-list From Google?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Google sucks monkey balls, they are just like Apple in many ways. Two companies I could do without.

I think some people don't understand. Murdock doesn't want to give away news for free any longer which is his business decision, not yours (either that or go out of business). MS is talking to them and saying we can figure out a way to offer your content to users, and not for free. Probably through a subscription of some sort. Don't misread the article, MS isn't just paying companies just to delist from Google, nope.

Content can't stay free, someone has to write and report on this stuff. You idiots who believe content can stay free forever are clueless. The newspapers and related companies are going out of business quickly and unless the business model changes all we'll have are iReports reporting on the news which would be very very sad.

Be prepared to start paying for news again in the future if you want it. The free lunch days are coming to an end. Look at PC gaming, everyone started pirating games and now the game studios are closing up shop on PC gaming as a result. If we keep getting news for free those companies will give up as well, money talks and right now there's no money!

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]The ill informed think just because somethings "free" it must be great. People are so naive.Every single time you use your "free" Chrome they learn something about you.[/citation]

Yes they do...they learn that I like good software.

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
If we were forced to pay for access, print newspapers might just live to see another day, employing paperboys around the world and causing a spike in secondhand bicycle sales...

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Google is a monster. I hope someone can make a dent in them. They are a real threat to liberty on the web -- the first to voluntarily censor stuff for foreign audiences. Google was so hyped by the establishment, people should have woke up about it but we are all sheep. Microsoft's strong-arm economics is nothing compared to the steamroller of Google. Google was started by 2 Russian Jews. Why does that matter? Read California State University Professor Kevin MacDOnald's book to BEGIN to wake up-- free PDF here: http://www.prometheism.net/library/CultureOfCritique.pdf
Careful! It is truly the RED PILL!!

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]spiralsun1[/nom]Google is a monster. I hope someone can make a dent in them. They are a real threat to liberty on the web -- the first to voluntarily censor stuff for foreign audiences. Google was so hyped by the establishment, people should have woke up about it but we are all sheep. Microsoft's strong-arm economics is nothing compared to the steamroller of Google. Google was started by 2 Russian Jews. Why does that matter? Read California State University Professor Kevin MacDOnald's book to BEGIN to wake up-- free PDF here: http://www.prometheism.net/library [...] itique.pdfCareful! It is truly the RED PILL!![/citation]

I looked over the pdf & people like you are blind. I would not be worrying about the Jewish people; I would worry about the praying to a meteorite Muslim’s that will chop your f-ing head off if you do not believer in Allah & his false prophet, Muhammad.

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]ITSerenity[/nom]The Only People Who Watch FOX... Are Ex-Patriots any way. Screw them, and Rupert Murdoch. But once again, MicroSoft proves once again that if you can not beat them, "BUY THEM OUT". I see this as a BIG win for Google. There will be less trash and lies to sift through while using "Google", the best search engine on the planet.[/citation]

What are you talking about, do you even know. I watch Fox every day & I love my Country, I would fight every day for it, not like you bow down to the Chinese Dumo-cratics.

G

Has Google ever played fair? What about dumping user websurfing data to google-analytics.com and other domains owned by Google? This mechanism was identified in FF and Opera, let alone its Chrome. This is just a little awkward of Microsoft.

mojo_rex

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
"Would involve the News Corp being paid to “de-index” its news websites from Google."
no more news Corp on Google,I could live with that

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
bing ? what the hell is that, never heard of it, why the hell i want to use that :| ugly name, give me a creep, sounds satanic :))))

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Any company removing itself from google's index is asking for customers to go away! Anyone who's ever tried bing knows it finds rubbish first, and relevant stuff later - if at all. Some of the other web searches work reliably, but they're slower and harder to use than google's services. Who that wants to sell something would want not to be on google?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]Well:1) I don't SEARCH for news, I go TO the news site and read it, or check my RSS feeds. Google/Bing have little to do with that[/citation]
This is about searching for a subject where you dont know the source, if people knew the website for what they were looking for then Google wouldnt even exist.

Christ, its like teaching kids again...

Google is a monster? i'd rather Google rule the world than Microsoft. you're just like every other loser on the internet, if a company gets really big they are automatically a monster

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I call bull on this. Its blatantly anti-competetive and would never fly in court. Microsoft is too smart to leave a paper trail by giving money out to news corp over this.

G

If true this is disgusting. Google is by far the best search engine out there and this seems like the sort of dirty dealing that the courts should be getting involved in. The way to get people to your search engine is to make it better, not to kill off competition

apocalypseap

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Er - I don't see how not finding companies that sellout will be an advantage to Microsoft. If anything, I'll be glad that I never see them in the searches when I use Google. Once again, Microsoft trying to shove itself into a market with money - but it's not going to be as easy, this time around. Microsoft is putting yet another dent in its reputation with this stunt.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]apocalypseap[/nom]Er - I don't see how not finding companies that sellout will be an advantage to Microsoft. If anything, I'll be glad that I never see them in the searches when I use Google. Once again, Microsoft trying to shove itself into a market with money - but it's not going to be as easy, this time around. Microsoft is putting yet another dent in its reputation with this stunt.[/citation]

Dents can be fixed with censoring the internet and buying silence ... why do you think most ordinary customers still think Apple is a good brand? Ballmer just needs to attend more of Jobs' shady-but-legal-business teaching lessons. In a few years he'll probably have mastered it seeing how he's smart and all that. Then the dents will be undone one by one.

apocalypseap

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]why do you think most ordinary customers still think Apple is a good brand?[/citation]
Well, between Apple and Microsoft, Apple's probably the lesser of two evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.