Microsoft Phasing Out Starter Edition of Office

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]i'm still using office 2003 professional edition and it does everything i need it to do.[/citation]

I'm still rocking on a 2000 version. Yep.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
lol i've just discovered a real awesome way for free office. Download the trial of each version. Each lasts 2 months. So that's 6 months of free office. In that period i invariably end up formatting my drive. Whole process starts again. :D

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Office needs to come with windows Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate free of cost, I'm sick of seeing people pay more for this software then they do for their OS upgrade.[/citation]

I'm sick of mums and dads having to pay more money for software than for the hardware it runs on.

Why isn't Windows 7 Home $35 like what the major OEMs pay? Why can't we have reasonable office prices...

The retail Office and Windows cost would have you mistaking it for Adobe Creative Suite.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Wow, dude! You've got it all wrong. The word processor is not an essential program. Yeah, it costs alot but you could use an alternative.What is really overpriced is Windows... c'mon! $200-300-500 for crappy Windows! Now that's superoverpriced. And OS shouldn't cost more than $50 for a full version. And even if MS sells every copy of Windows for just $50 they are still going to make billions.And maybe it will be much better OS if it costs less because they'll stop wasting money to fill it up with bloat.[/citation]Actually, they sell bulk licenses to PC makers for around $40. If you know where, you can get a copy of Windows OEM for $70-120.

G

Wow. Got Office 2010 pro for 20$, corporate offer. Installed it for a week. Then removed it. Libre Office i.e. open office) is so much better, unless you're talking mega data (100 pages word, 125,000+ lines excel), in which case MS doesn't work either.

Office is like a toy. It can't cope with real business needs, and it's too expensive for casual use.

Not surprised that Office starter became a dead end. No doubt when people get a taste of LO they won't go back. Like how Chrome sort of beat IE. It's not going back. People taste freedom they aren't going back. Pay for quality, sure. Pay for a defective product? Sorry, I've got options.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Andy Chow[/nom]Office is like a toy. It can't cope with real business needs, and it's too expensive for casual use.[/citation]

I'll smoke what he's smoking.

I mean come on.... really?

G

For people who dont have good internet connectivity all the time, this isnt that good.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
It's a nice office suite, but expensive. I didn't upgrade from Office XP until someone gave me a copy of 2007. And I only use it on one computer. I have Open Office on the other computer. At their prices only businesses are interested and only if they don't investigate using Open Office.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I know. MS makes it's money off of software sales, sure, but their products are so expensive for consumers. Which is why I waited until I got legimate free copies from school before upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.