Microsoft: Pirated Windows 7 Will Still Get Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I think MS should auto download their own custom malware to pirated copies of Windows. It would still patch the system up, but then would install MS friendly (i.e.- doesn't attack legit Windows installations) that would drive the user crazy.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
i managed to lose my serial number for vista once, and, when i reinstalled planning to put my number in when i got back home, i couldn't get any updates auto or manual

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]fuser[/nom]I think MS should auto download their own custom malware to pirated copies of Windows. It would still patch the system up, but then would install MS friendly (i.e.- doesn't attack legit Windows installations) that would drive the user crazy.[/citation]
So 2 wrongs make a right?

This is just for liability reasons, there are false positives when it comes to detecting legitimacy. If a legit user was not protected and they lost data or were unable to use their computer as a result of negligence (being denied a security update), Microsoft could be on the hook depending on who it happens to.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I am sorry but the big M is only doing this to protect its on butt, think about the back lash if lets say there was a new worm epidemic or some kinda virus that used a fault in windows to cause damage to the computer either software or hardware. Now lets say this person has automatic updates turned on and has a legal key and is a legit big M Software owner. Let say big M's Genuine software approval tool screws up (which has happened in the past on a large scale and I have seen a good number of times where system is a legit system and they passed Genuine advantage only to have it fail a few months to a year or more down the road. Not sure why guessing they update Genuine advantage.). So they don't get any type of security updates and are affected by this what do you think would happen next? I know they would want there PC fixed free they did nothing wrong and due to a windows glitch they where put at risk so either Big M. pays millions to fix PC damage by this outbreak/bug or they say no and the lawsuits start rolling. So by Big M offering everyone security updates there covering there on butts in case of a major melt down. To tell ya the truth I don't really blame them and thats why they also don't introduce any malware to infect un-legit copies of Big M products and I not even sure if that would be legal cause maleware installs with out consent I not a lawyer so I am not really sure. But just my guess

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]HotRoderX[/nom]I am sorry but the big M is only doing this to protect its on butt...[/citation]
Not true. They are doing this so that the user's experience with Windows is still enjoyable and secure. Each pirate may become a future customer so it is within their best interest to satisfy every customer. Microsoft would rather you pirate their software than use Linux or OSX and thats the bottom line.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Makes good business sense. If Microsoft did not do the updates, hordes of illegal versions of Microsoft Windows would be infected and used for attacks against legitimate user's computers. This would make for a PR nightmare. Better to be on offense than defense, and certainly ensuring that ALL copies of Windows are as protected from virus' as is possible is a good offensive tactic that will pay great dividends in their defense of legitimate users. Since all updates cost Microsoft the same amount of money, no matter how many computers get updated, the only additional cost to Microsoft is the bandwidth and the extreme minority of illegitimate users who would go out and buy the software for the updates.
Microsoft as a whole is a really good company. My only real complaint is Vista, and it looks like they are going an extra mile to clean it up and repackage it as Windows 7. An easy way to remove the nagging "are you sure" pop-ups without significantly affecting my security would be very welcome and actually be the straw that tipped my purchase decision into their favor. I know how to turn off UAC, but UAC is not the only annoying pop-up. There are also the "Downloaded from internet" "The unknown publisher "Microsoft"", and a couple more I am not remember exactly at the moment.
Hell, if they just made a screen with a list of publishers where you could check off your trusted/not trusted status with, that would be a huge improvement.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]-unknown-[/nom]So 2 wrongs make a right?This is just for liability reasons, there are false positives when it comes to detecting legitimacy. If a legit user was not protected and they lost data or were unable to use their computer as a result of negligence (being denied a security update), Microsoft could be on the hook depending on who it happens to.[/citation]
You didn't understand my point. If MS downloaded their own malware, it would be annoying but would not delete data, attack other systems, etc. It would be annoying enough to encourage the user to buy a copy of the operating system, but would not make MS liable.

I understand why MS is patching pirated copies. Even if I hadn't, it was stated in the article.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]Not true. They are doing this so that the user's experience with Windows is still enjoyable and secure. Each pirate may become a future customer so it is within their best interest to satisfy every customer. Microsoft would rather you pirate their software than use Linux or OSX and thats the bottom line.[/citation]
What percentage of OS pirates, after enjoying a thing called "free," would later go and buy the software? The same argument applies as with game piracy. These people never will nor would have bought anything.

G

...anyone even tried updating an illegitimate copy?
"Hey man, I just tried to install updates and it messed my computer up"
Me ~ "...was it a real copy of windows?"
"No..."
Me ~ "Then Windows genuine advantage has just messed your computer up.. sorry man, reinstall"

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]andethddgb[/nom]...anyone even tried updating an illegitimate copy?"Hey man, I just tried to install updates and it messed my computer up"Me ~ "...was it a real copy of windows?""No..."Me ~ "Then Windows genuine advantage has just messed your computer up.. sorry man, reinstall"[/citation]

Yeeea, except after I confirm it was not legit I go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\Notify in the registry and also search for files created within 2 days of the GA update being installed... then just identify and remove its files and registry entries like any other virus that invades the system tray.

(well, and then tell them to skip the GA update in the future, and that they actually do need to get legit!)

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
randomizer don't talk about what you don't know. You don't know me, and what I do. I did pirated xp, but then I got tired of having to redo it every month, and I thought xp was well worth it after I tried it. The same doesn't apply to vista, while I was gonna buy it.. I sure am glad I didn't know that win 7 is so close.

And computer games.. Guess what don't work so well online. You have to do a bunch of crap and only run on certain servers. So if you want to play online with everybody/anybody you need a legitmate copy.

[citation][nom]HotRoderX[/nom]I am sorry but the big M is only doing this to protect its on butt, think about the back lash if lets say there was a new worm epidemic or some kinda virus that used a fault in windows to cause damage to the computer either software or hardware. Now lets say this person has automatic updates turned on and has a legal key and is a legit big M Software owner. Let say big M's Genuine software approval tool screws up (which has happened in the past on a large scale and I have seen a good number of times where system is a legit system and they passed Genuine advantage only to have it fail a few months to a year or more down the road. Not sure why guessing they update Genuine advantage.). So they don't get any type of security updates and are affected by this what do you think would happen next? I know they would want there PC fixed free they did nothing wrong and due to a windows glitch they where put at risk so either Big M. pays millions to fix PC damage by this outbreak/bug or they say no and the lawsuits start rolling. So by Big M offering everyone security updates there covering there on butts in case of a major melt down. To tell ya the truth I don't really blame them and thats why they also don't introduce any malware to infect un-legit copies of Big M products and I not even sure if that would be legal cause maleware installs with out consent I not a lawyer so I am not really sure. But just my guess[/citation]

Either way, the Big M is doing a better job of helping even non-genuine users than your God Big J.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
"Microsoft said that it won’t be changing this policy for Windows 7, meaning that pirates will still be as protected as legit users. While this might seem a little strange for any software company to provide software support to pirates, keeping even illegal copies patched up is in the interest of the entire computing ecosystem."

Microsoft wholeheartedly would disagree with this statement. Remember they say that pirated software can contain virii, security holes, malware, etc. If you take a copy of pirated Windows XP Pro RTM and install it on a PC and connect to the internet, guess what can happen? Automatic reboots like crazy due to it containing the sauser worm or other malware.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'm happy to see this.
I simply cannot afford a new OS.
If I have to stay legit, I'll simply go back to XP. The couple hundred dollars just isn't worth it me, sadly enough.
I have bought XP 2 times, Windows 2003, 2000, and 98. It gets expensive.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
anamaniac, it is a pain to run a pirated copy of vista, I wouldn't be surprised if it is even more of a PITA to run Windows 7 non-legit. They tend to do security updates that check for pirated copies and will evidentally block you out of the entire O/S. That wasn't mentioned in this article, but it is part of their security updates. Which is why if you run non-legit Vista, you usually are better off reinstalling the entire o/s with a slipstreamed copy rather than using their online updates. I'd more than suggest going legit in this case, as the time you spend rebuilding your machine is probably more valuable than the $300 or whatever bloated price they charge for the full version of Vista Ultimate.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
This news was like a shock for me...
I almost decided to BUY a microsoft windows 7...
almost...
Just a little bit more and I think I will...

First... i thought they are so proud of their OS that they know that if people like it... people will buy it...
On a second thought... i think they can't do anything about it.

If am satisfied with 7... maybe i'll buy the Win7 with SP1

G

This is related to China, not L337 pirates in America and Europe. China pirates the crap out of it because they can't possibly afford it. Bill Gates once made a statement about he'd rather they be pirating his product than someone elses, he could find a way to collect on it later...

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
In the end what MS is trying to say is this: "At least they are staying with us and not using a Apple or Linux Distro, who knows maybe one day thell decide to buy it or buy a new PC with a MS OS already on it.".

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I'd hate to be you, sitting on an old crack and have windows update tell you that you can't log into your PC any more. All my posts have been stupid? I guess you're just uninformed or have never had to deal with pirated copies of O/S before. What's with all the hate, I never said anything ill towards you. I think you need to grow up or at least proofread your post before saying anything. Seems like someone forgot the golden rule.And you know, in the IT business, rebuilding means full reinstall and reconfiguration and reinstallation of all software. Doesn't rebuilding make it a much simpler term than typing that all out?Anyways I'm not going to stoop to your low level and start calling you names. I expect that you will come back and do that very shortly.[/citation]

sitting on a crack? ok???.......... I use windows 7 so im not worried about it telling me i cant get in, at least for another yearm then im buying windows 7 anyways. most people say reinstalling, not rebuilding. and how do i need to proof read, theres no spelling errors besides the ' which kids dont use anyways.

also i used a pirated version of vista i downloaded and used it for about a year without it being legit, then i looked around for some codes, got one working, then it was a legit copy. the only bad thing was that i had to wait 15 seconds each time before i could log in, because they asked to activate.

with dual boot, you can back up each one, if it locks you out, you switch, and transfer your files. not that hard

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
lol i had to make a spelling error when im talking about not making spelling errors..... [citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]at least for another yearm then im buying windows 7 anyways. [/citation]

at least not for another year, then im buying windows 7 anyways.

alentor

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]Not true. They are doing this so that the user's experience with Windows is still enjoyable and secure. Each pirate may become a future customer so it is within their best interest to satisfy every customer. Microsoft would rather you pirate their software than use Linux or OSX and thats the bottom line.[/citation]

the big M dont want to hurt millions of people who use cracked version of windows... the big M is doing the right thing, not a microsoft fan, but that what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.