Microsoft Publishes Comparison Web Page on Why Windows 7 is Better Than Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Why they publish this?
The Windows 7 market share outperform the Mac OS X share so easily, so there is nothing to say.
Windows 7 is better and the price of a PC is better than a Mac one.
(and sorry... but also less buggy... yes a Microsoft product with less bugs than a Mac product...)

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
This ad takes the exact same standpoint as Mac's old "I'm a Mac" ads except it avoids having two douchebags on TV. Even though some of the points are biased - and they should be, it is their advert - this seems far less pretentious. Bring on the tears of Mac users; they sustain me.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
[citation][nom]haplo602[/nom]wow, what loads of bullexcrements ... I wonfer who still buys MS campaigns[/citation]

Can you explain? :)

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]haplo602[/nom]wow, what loads of bullexcrements ... I wonfer who still buys MS campaigns[/citation]

Probably very similar people who buy into Apple's campaigns...

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
While most of this is marketing FUD, I will agree on many of the points, and mostly on Windows 7, is actually better than Mac OS X. I have both. Windows 7 is the most well put together OS MS has ever created and it's the easiset to use and cleaniest. I dare say this is finally a worthy successor to XP.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Substitute all the instances of the word "Macs" with "Steve Jobs".
Makes a lot more sense that way.

"Steve Jobs might spoil your fun" - you got that right!

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

haplo, Mac's are for idiots with too much money who want to look cool. Every dollar that goes to Apple products is wasted money that could be going to better use other than lining Job's/Woz's pockets. The profits they are making are completely outrageous and unjustifiable.

jgv115

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
TBH, I actually quite like OSX but I don't like the Mac. Yes they are 2 different things, OSX is the software and Mac is the hardware. This is why I run OSX on my PC! A Mac is just too damn expensive, not customizable and performs worse to a PC counterpart.

Apple should let OSX be installed on any computer legally. It's such a shame that OSX HAS to be run on a Mac.

G

I've been using a macbook pro for the last 3 years. I use both Windows on it as well as Mac os X. Both OSs are very solid, well performing systems within their own strengths. You don't use Mac OS X as your primary game operating system unless you like a limited choice (however, that is SERIOUSLY changing these days). However, the MS Office 2008 suite on the Mac as far as I'm concerned is vastly superior to its PC counterpart in functionality and ease of use (and I have tried open office, which I did not like). I'm told photography and graphics workers love Mac OS X because its software is better designed for that role.

Windows is strong because, due to its command of the marketplace, much more has been developed for it. It works on many more platforms (though so can Mac OS if you want to make a hackintosh), and it is very good for productivity. Gaming is also better in Windows than Mac.

Both Operating systems are very strong depending on what you're looking for.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I have both Mac and PC products. I prefer the Mac as a professional, but I do like my HTPC. Although, the latest Mac Mini looks very tempting for $699, I must say.

This is a very aggressive ad, and I don't believe it to be completely true, as most of it is subjective. I don't really see the point of it to be honest, they are doing something like this "too little, too late."

I realize TH is full of Apple hating PC fanboys, but Apple makes a great product, like it or not. No go ahead and thumbs down my comment, and please do it with a smile.

dredj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Even though the tone of the advertisement is understandably biased, Microsoft doesn't seem to be stretching its arguments too thin here. For the most part, they're telling the main somewhat computer-literate populace that going to that cool-looking mac may bring way more headache than even Vista. I'll agree, too. My wife's laptop has vista and even though it sucks for me, it performs supurbly for her needs. A mac would only confuse enrage her as she travels from school->work->home where all they use is PC.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Ya, I hate that the Apple fans noobs say thats Mac OS is Virus free and ****. BECAUSE THEY DON"T HAVE NO WHERE'S NEAR THE MARKET SHARE AS Microsoft. And for the record. MAC OS is just as easy to get virus and malware like any other program!!!

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
For the first time in my life I had a Mac on my hands and let me tell you, they suck.. I mean not that wow anyway, the whole OS is not easy going with the user anyway, I swear I was about to put Ubuntu or windows 7 into that sucker.

Nevertheless this BS campaigns are just nonsense. If you want to eradicate your foe don't show their flaws but let the user discovers by their own. Good things grow from mouth to mouth, in it's due time what goes around comes around.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Everything seem right.

Mac build closed platform/closed hardware/closed world.

If you live in your small world and you want limit your life in a filtered iWorld, your choice.

Bashing Apple ads, so much aggressive, where they look so much intelligent. This is some kind of ads you only do when people think you're a small company trying aggressively to take some part of the market.

Apple Hardware is cool but really fast depreciate. (you need to change your iPhone once a year... 3-4 years for an iMac)

Most "hardcore" iMac software is build at the end by Apple (think about QuickTimes or Final Cut Pro). They block other company like Adobe trying to take part of their iWorld.

In the PC world, you buy from who you want.
In PC world, they are partners.
Not some kind of 90% profit to one company (Apple).

Microsoft is/was considered "Evil"... but the fact they just build few softwares. Flexible softwares working on most hardware. If the hardware is crappy... the OS crash.
I you don't like Microsoft, go for a Free Linux.

In this comparaison, I think Microsoft just talk for the PC world, telling iGeniusWhiteWorld wasn't the best world where you have all the best of the world.

G

Microsoft is really grasping at straws here. Of course you can't connect an Xbox to a Mac. You think Microsoft would allow that? Not really a fault of Apple.

Of course the mouse and touchpad on a Mac work differently. It's called an intuitive interface. Microsoft really couldn't understand that these days.

The media sharing sounds backwards. In Windows you have to manually select the settings, and half of the time it doesn't work. Apple's out-of-the-box software like iPhoto is far better at say sharing photos than anything Windows has.

Most of these points are a veiled way of saying, "Don't try new things... You may like it, but it takes time to learn. Be impatient. Be close-minded."

Mac OS X is far easier to use and more intuitive. Windows 7 is a good step forward, but many of the great features on Windows Vista/7 were taken directly from OS X. Not to mention Mac OS X is far more tweakable than Windows once you go beneath the GUI. Obviously same story for Linux. ;)

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Tamz_msc[/nom]I agree with Microsoft the most on the last point.[/citation]

I think that apple has no intentions of creating a computer for every market segment. They only want to compete in a few big segments. I think this website is trying to keep people from buying an iMac or MacBook Pro. Those two Apple product lines are the vast majority of Macintosh sales, and are probably the best designed computers for sale at any price. I know many, many people that have jumped ship because the Apple hardware is just so damn good looking and well built.

At the end of the day, Apple is just another hardware company. But they are now a hardware company the size of Microsoft! If I were Dell, HP, ASUS, Sony, or Acer I would be asking myself - "How the hell did this happen?" "What did Apple do that we didn't?"

Well, they didn't waste time trying to penetrate every computer market segment. They went on to new markets like MP3 players, smart phones, and now tablets. You can Like Apple or you can Hate Apple, but they surely had a broader strategy. And it has paid off.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I have Windows7 on my computers. With that said:

This is a pretty lame "campaign"... its more of "Please don't go with Mac because..."

Learning curve? WTF?! What about WinXp > Vista (gag) or Win7...? Win7 fixed a lot of GUI functionality snafu of vista. Its not perfect. Compare an iPhone OS to a typical Windows Mobile, and you see why MS sucks in GUI, in general. I'm doing some cleaning and throwing out (recycling) crap and found my OLD HP PDA (Color, Windows Mobile) that hasn't been turned on in 5 years and I played with it for 5 minutes and gave it to my 5 year old. It SUCKED, my Sony Cell phone is far more usable and iPhone smokes it. So bad, MS has murdered its OWN Mobile OS line and started from scratch. Hmmm... wonder if it'll look like Chrome or apple?

- Games? Whatever... MS is whoring people to buy the 360s.

- TV connections? Macs include TV HDMI output.... most PCs don't, its an add-on. Not a biggie. But here is something most people don't know.

Mac can connect to Cable DVR boxes and can extract, rename and manage your recordings. Windows 7... it connects and craps all over itself.

- Touch screen PC? Yeah, most of us WANT finger prints on our screens! Who cares?! Having some idiot touch my 24" LCD is a great way to piss me off. And besides, Win7 desktop for normal PC functions suck for TOUCH. Now, Apple did something that MS couldn't do for 9 years...

Design, make and market a successful TABLET computer. Its not BULKY and while its not powerful, the OS doesn't bring it down. Win7 with Touch for tablet could work - but it's so full of bloat... that Acer, Samsung and HP are... using Google's ChromeOS to make their own tablets.

- The Network sharing thing is stupid.... blah.
- The FILE compatibility between Mac and PCs is also stupid... usually caused by MS's own choices to make their software or data files incompatible.

What moron at MS came up with this crap? He and the folks at Apple who screwed up the iPhone 4's antenna & PR move to blame it on the customers (guess that would be Jobs) should form their own stupid company and call it SCO or Commodore.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I hate it when they outline misleading statements in bold title font. I corrected their comparison.

Macs might spoil your fun -- Maybe if you're a gamer
Macs can take time to learn -- So does PC. Actually, Macs takes less time to learn
Macs don't work well at work or school -- Only if school doesn't support Macs. Some schools do.
Macs don't like to share -- Not true
Macs might not like your PC stuff -- Yea but PC hates Mac stuff
Macs don't let you choose -- I'd rather have something that works right than a loaded slow ass computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.