Microsoft Quietly Opens Windows 10 Pre-Orders On A New Physical Format

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
you missed the part where it costs the same for the dvd or usb drive. no price difference.

sure the usb costs more but for the price they are charging, the cost of the usb is easily covered
We probably missed because it wasn't there. DVDs aren't listed there. The reference I'm using is a reseller like scan.co.uk. There, the DVD is MUCH cheaper than the USB. What's most disturbing is, the downloadable version is as expensive as the USB media edition.

f-14

Distinguished
DVD versions have not been listed for pre-order yet, and it is unclear if there will be any in the future.

some one obviously is not a new egg subscriber and it's 89.99 for windows 10 home version 129.99 pro version pre order media dvd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL071415&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL071415&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL071415-_-EMC-071415-Index-_-OperatingSystems-_-32416892-S0A

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588491&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL071415&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL071415&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL071415-_-EMC-071415-Index-_-OperatingSystems-_-32588491-S0B

System Requirements
1 GHz processor or faster
1 GB RAM for 32-bit; 2 GB for 64-bit
Up to 20 GB available hard disk space
800 x 600 screen resolution or higher
DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM driver
Internet access (fees may apply)
Microsoft account required for some features
Watching DVDs requires separate playback software

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
at newegg prices are the same for all formats. dvd/usb/download are all the same $200 for pro and $120 for home version (these are the ones that include both 32 and 64 bit windows). i do not see the usb as an option for only the 32 or 64 bit version.

this is the same on scan.co.uk the cheaper ones are only 32 or 64 bit but not both included. comparing these is not a valid price compare. it has always been cheaper to get only one version vs both. look close and you'll see the same price for all the pro 32/64 bit formats as well as home 32/64 bit.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I honestly wonder how many of then still use non touchscreen flip phones and portable CD players. I didn't see all this resistance when discs replaced cassette tapes.

I welcome the new install option especially when it costs the same.

Gamers now install games using Steam, they are not relying on discs.
Movies and TV shows are streaming via Netflix. Who is still going to Blockbuster or Redbox to get discs?
Software are now downloaded and a license key emailed. No more looking for discs
Music is now streamed or downloaded with lyrics that are synced karaoke style. Why buy a disc just for a case and a booklet?
OEM computer sellers no longer ship restore discs with their computer, they give you the option to create your own recovery method via a USB or a few discs.
I cannot count the discs I have that are now coasters. USBs? None.

Ahh, nothing like being continually insulted by people who can't think of anything other than their own situation. My "excuse" is the exact same as it's always been. Not everyone has access to reliable, unlimited, high-speed internet access. Plenty of people have data caps and don't want to blow through their allotment with 4GB OS downloads or 20GB game downloads. Some don't have insanely high-speed access and don't want to spend hours downloading massive files. And finally, there are LOTS of things that can use external bays other than DVD/BD drives. Fan controllers, system monitor displays, media card readers, HDD hot docks, etc.

My biggest complaint about bay-less cases, particularly the H440, is that it seems to have a lot of wasted space. None of the bays are external, but they still have all the mounting holes for things that would normally go in the bays. But about the only thing you're going to put there is a liquid reservoir or 3.5" HDD. However, after mounting a few drives and a reservoir, you lose room for the radiator up front. In short, it doesn't seem designed well for its intended use. If you don't have external bays, then why not get rid of the open space in front and make a smaller, sleeker case? If you want to house radiators, then make it so you can fit them AND other components in the case.

I don't begrudge cases with no external bays. If other people want to buy them, then go right ahead. I'm saying the few that I've seen thus far could have been designed much better, thus I have a problem with the product itself, not the idea of such a product. Similarly I think this is good that the OS is available on flash media. But it should be left as an option to do so and not trying to force everyone into a single format that doesn't necessarily meet their needs.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. If it's a fast flash drive, the install should go quicker also.

I would prefer an SD card format, personally. They would fit into an SD wallet better than USB drives (assuming more software vendors follow suit) But as common as SD cards are, they aren't quite as universal as USB.
Knowing Microsoft when choosing a flash drive, they will choose lowest price over fastest speed.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

To be honest digital download is the best, you can re-purpose your stick as you wish and you don`t make unwanted trash, yes memory sticks eventually become trash but you have more uses for them than only install only one program, also lookt at games trough Steam / origin / w/e , you buy the game and you have it the very next second unlike waiting the next day or 2 days for your dvd to be delivered.

Disks are on their way out and it`s a good thing.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
Knowing Microsoft when choosing a flash drive, they will choose lowest price over fastest speed.

I don't know if they'll go lowest price, but I definitely think they're not gonna spend a ton for high-speed sticks, nor is there, IMO, a great deal of reason to do so. The vast majority will be used once, perhaps twice...the install, and making a copy for backup. The read speeds even on a slower stick are going to be better than what you'd get from a DVD, and personally I'd never even consider writing anything back to the stick, or reformat it to repurpose it. I would treat it as a DVD...strictly read only, strictly for holding this data.

To be honest digital download is the best, you can re-purpose your stick as you wish and you don`t make unwanted trash, yes memory sticks eventually become trash but you have more uses for them than only install only one program,

There's no such thing as best, in general. What if I have no internet connection at the time...I'm building a first system? I have to have media. What if my internet connectivity is limited...relatively low speed, or metered? (Not sure this would be common, tho.)

I get the sense that some people seem to think that we're advocating ONE AND ONLY ONE delivery method...USB...and that's ridiculous. We're not. Nor is MS ever *suggesting* they won't offer it on a DVD.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Even the cheapest USB sticks have faster read speeds than any disc drive on the market.

Epif

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2015
i have never had a thumb drive that lasted more than 2 years, but i have some burnt cd's and dvds that are nearing 12-15 years old that still work, and the only legitimate dvd/cd that ever broke for me was due to physically melting one day because the sun hit the case weird...

though just my personal experiance at play there.

And on the opposite side of things, I've never had a thumb drive stop working. I have 5 or 6 of therm, several of which must be at LEAST a decade old if not older. Actually, one of them is at least 13 years old, since I still have papers from junior high on it. Of course mere anecdotal evidence is completely worthless. It is the hard statistical averages and means that matter. Although I suspect a drive that is only occasionally read and never written too, as one would use an OS drive, would last even longer. Plus you can't scratch it!

Flip phones have/had longer battery life(and are much smaller) and if you need a phone, not PDA why change?
CD's are lossless and we have been paying full priced for lossy music(MP3/M4A) for years now.
Early portable CD players had been a joke. They killed batteries at an insane rate and had no anti skip(it took years before skip protection became good enough to run with one.).
I had a portable tape player that ran for over a week on a single AA battery and had to recharge my CD player daily.

Agreed. Shame that games get released broken. Digital distribution is a crutch for developers now.

As long as you live in a place that Netflix selection does not suck(They are getting better). Also compressed video while getting better every day is not for everyone. I am sure on demand and pay per view also took a toll on blockbuster/ect.

Uncompressed audio. Streaming uncompressed takes lots of bandwidth and ISP's in North America are just not upto that task. They had been gimping streaming video services for years too.

Blessing and curse. You can not make both and flash drives or burnt dvds may or may not still work when you need them. Stamped disks tend to last longer.

Even real cheap optical discs burned ok for me. I had some power out coasters(no UPS). I do remember people making many coasters, but I am still not sure how they manged that many.
I have lost a few flashed based media cards/sticks over the years.

Make the drive read only and use whatever kind of memory is needed(It is not like a Nintendo cartridge[or Atari for that matter] fails at the memory level, but it is read only and never written to outside of a save game location with battery backup.).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have Netflix, prime, redbox around the corner and on demand. What I miss is the old video gallery that closed a couple years ago. I used to like just wandering around looking at movies I'd never thought to watch, just to see if one would peak my interest. Granted, the above can do the same, but it's not the same thing. I felt like watching 'Star Trek' the latest one, but nobody had it. Just 'into darkness'. That's a crime. To me, I personally like going to a car lot, looking cars over, getting a feel for looks, stance, comfort etc. I like hands on. Now you can buy cars online, no different than music or movies.

I like the idea of options, and for those who find it easier to do things their way, instead of regulated to only 1 format.

Oh, and there is a small but definite difference between windows. One is OEM and tied to a single machine, the other is full retail and can be used on any pc with a good serial code. That's the difference in prices, not the fact that OEM is single format and retail has both x86 and x64. You pay for broader ability.

I was hoping there might be a paid upgrade path for older Windows XP computers. I would be willing to pay something like $10 for a Windows 10 upgrade, but not $120 (that is probably more than the computer is worth). I guess I will stick with Windows XP, since I rarely use the laptop. It seems a shame, since Windows 10 probably works really well on under-powered older Window XP using computers.

XP is not really safe any longer if you have a web connection. I'm in the same boat with some older AMD 3700 and 5000 based servers I use for media. I've gone to Ubantu on one system It works. You might want to try it. Aside, I'd go $40 for win10 easy, but not $100+. (Wish I'd stockpiled win8 for $15, but after upgrading one machine I didn't buy any more).

How do you think my Athlon 64 [strike]3200[/strike]3000 with its Geforce 4mx integrated will deal with Windows 10 :)

I think the Win10 preview didn't run at all on my 3700+. I think it was missing some instructions needed. That's when I went to Ubantu. So I'd guess your Athlon 3000 would be a hurting pup.

I think this is what got me "...To install a 64-bit OS on a 64-bit PC, your processor needs to support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF....", but who knows, it could have been memory size. It was early in the preview/beta when I tried it.

I did not try the 31-bit win10 preview.

p.s. if you have a working fully-patched XP make a copy. Microsoft will no longer give you access to the patches, so if you have to rebuild an XP system you will be many security fixes back level.

Just so we are talking about the same thing. If you write a flash drive and then read it a day later you are reading 1 day old data, even if the drive is 10 years old. If you write a flash drive (of any age) and throw it in a drawer and wait you will see that eventually the charge leaks out of the flash drive and you lose data. For an enterprise eMLC profile flash drive the 'power off' data life is less than a year (but eMLC wears much better than consumer flash profiles). I have no idea how long a consumer flash stick will hold data without being powered on so that is can refresh the data by copying it. I'd guess that people will use a Windows install USB once, then put it somewhere safe in case the system needs to be rebuilt years later. That's a worse case for data life for flash.

Update, here's some data from Sandisk:

5.3 Data Retention Errors
Data retention defines how long the written data remains valid within a memory device. Programmed NAND flash cells must retain a stable voltage level to ensure data retention for an acceptable period, typically defined as 1 year or 3 months (depending on the flash vendor and technology) . Charge leakage from the floating gate, called charge drift, tends to slowly change the cell’s voltage level from its initial level to a different level, as shown in Figure 7 below. This new level may incorrectly be interpreted as a different logical value.
<....> The data retention time is inversely related to the number of Write/Erase cycles, which means that blocks that have been erased many times have a shorter data retention life than blocks with lower Write/Erase cycles. http://www.sandisk.com/assets/docs/WP001_Flash_Management_Final_FINAL.pdf

Aside: Modern flash drives use less than 20 elections per bit, so you don't have to lose many electrons to have data integrity problems.

Well that is a shame, they gave updates to 98 way after support and even 2000.

Guess soon enough, I better make a copy of that and other XP systems I do not use(the 3000 system is a music player[sometimes video] when i travel and that can be replaced with my creative zen and cheap speakers), but may need to restore in the future.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
Windows 2000 reached end of support in 2010. XP was released 2 years after 2000; it hit end of support in 2014, so it lasted 2 years longer. Be happy it lasted as long as it did. XP is just too old.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
For everyone claiming windows has more than 400k apps, they are referencing the Windows App Store, not Windows OS, and not just Windows RT although the app store includes Windows RT.
Go to the App store in Windows 8 and you'll find 400k apps.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
From what I gather...if you use the Get Windows 10 'tool', then it'll be a download via Windows Update. Will this be an image? Don't know. There is supposed to be an email saying "your upgrade is ready" so if they want to provide a product key, they might do it there. I think, based on past practices, the answers are going to be no key, and no image, for THIS route. Doesn't mean there won't be other routes.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
This isn't totally new. A number of devices were shipped with Windows 8.1 on USB. Instead of putting the Windows license sticker on the pc, it's now on the USB stick.

More expensive than a disc, sure, but cheaper than buying an external disc drive to use a dvd sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.