Microsoft Quietly Opens Windows 10 Pre-Orders On A New Physical Format

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

Tell that to the movie industry that still mass produces DVDs. DVDs are not going anywhere, neither are CDs or Blu Ray. This is actually a shocker coming from MS still producing 32 bit OS's. For those still using 32 bit systems are most likely still using a CD/DVD drive and plenty of software still uses that particular medium so all this nonsense about the DVD dying.. it's not going to happen anytime soon. But i suppose you were one of those claiming that the PC is dead and everyone moving to tablets/smartphones. Oh and you can still buy floppy disks, blank cassettes and vinyl records.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
If you think it is easy to lose the DVD wait till you try to find the Flash drive that you stuck in your pants pocket 2 years ago. It is significantly harder to damage a flash drive compared to a DVD. I have lots of DVD movies that have been ruined. They should put a document on there with the license info and just save that somewhere on the Hard Drive or on the cloud to prove ownership.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

You're probably right. We'll either need to clone the drive or use the built-in image utility... I'm fine with that. But I like the 'old ways'

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
oh my, this is already causing problems for below\average pc users. checking reviews on a few sites for the USB Drive version and it is multiple pages of buyers and shoppers asking the dumbest questions:

how do i download Windows onto the flash drive if Windows isn't installed?
can i use a flash drive in my dvd slot?
i don't have a USB drive. how do i put Windows on it?
can i upgrade from Windows 8 by plugging in any flash drive?
does the flash drive come with a USB slot for my laptop?
will I still be able to use all of 10's features even though i'm running it from my USB drive?
can i take my Windows 10 flash drive anywhere and use Windows from it?

hopefully it comes with instructions a "noob" can understand. or i'll be getting a lot of requests for tech support over the next year.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
I was hoping there might be a paid upgrade path for older Windows XP computers. I would be willing to pay something like $10 for a Windows 10 upgrade, but not $120 (that is probably more than the computer is worth). I guess I will stick with Windows XP, since I rarely use the laptop. It seems a shame, since Windows 10 probably works really well on under-powered older Window XP using computers.
nothing stopped you from downloading the Technical Preview and the free upgrade to commercial version that comes along with it. you still may be able to but i would doubt they're still offering the download.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
If you think it is easy to lose the DVD wait till you try to find the Flash drive that you stuck in your pants pocket 2 years ago. It is significantly harder to damage a flash drive compared to a DVD. I have lots of DVD movies that have been ruined. They should put a document on there with the license info and just save that somewhere on the Hard Drive or on the cloud to prove ownership.
i imagine it will contain a serial activation key like other versions have. if the stick is lost most likely we'll just have to redownload and burn or mount on another flash drive.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
i imagine it will contain a serial activation key like other versions have. if the stick is lost most likely we'll just have to redownload and burn or mount on another flash drive.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
The Technical Preview does not provide you a free upgrade to the commercial version. If you do not qualify for the free upgrade (Windows XP users would not qualify), you will remain a Technical Preview user and receive support in exchange for being a permanent beta tester for Windows 10. Any programs, data, usage on your computer can be monitored and evaluated by Microsoft in order to better enhance the experience of commercial Windows 10 owners.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they have suspended sign ups for the insider program anyway so for now it is not even a choice anymore unless you are already an insider.

looks like folks will just have to buy it and see or accept the upgrade if you qualify and see how it goes. personally i am ok with it. still learning but it is not so bad. god mode works for win 10 and makes finding those settings they hid all over the place easier. this has made things a lot easier for me since i know what i am looking for but can't find it.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

that appears incorrect.
a build of mine running the latest 10 TP has upgraded to the Pro RTM 10240 version. this had no previous 7\8 Windows installed and no imbedded keys in the BIOS. after the update to 10240 there is no more Insider Preview watermark on desktop and the insider Get Started button has been deactivated. mod from answers.microsoft claims just wait and it will activate over next few days.
if you can find an image of the ?10130? TP and install that supposedly you can still update to the current RTM version and it will still activate legally.

all location and data monitoring can still be turned off. updates can be set to manual.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
exactly. you will still be running the full retail version it will just auto push updates and new features via the insider program to you. you can not opt out of this if you got your win 10 through the insider. this is how you are paying for your $100 key through staying a beta tester for them.

buying it outright is how you get a key without having to beta test new features and patches for them. the choice is yours to make and MS is not forcing ANYONE to go either way. they are not forcing the upgrade on win 7/8 users either. they are making it free to do in hopes people will do it but it is not mandatory in anyway. run win 7 for the next 10 years for all they care but don't complain when they stop supporting it and it is full of wholes like win xp now is. make the choice for yourself but accept the results of that choice you make!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.