Microsoft Reaffirms Desktop is the Core of Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I think sites like this should have a mandatory auto-delete function for comments where the comment is in the "we the people..." instead of the "I personally..." format.

I love using Windows 8 at least as much as I loved using 95, 98, XP and 7. You don't agree with me? Fine, you have that right... You all do NOT have the right to speak for me though, so stop doing that please!!! Thank you!

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Actions speak louder than those phony words.
I am still waiting for a complete and properly designed desktop OS from lying Microsoft and so far ALL Windows 8 versions have failed to deliver.
Microsoft keeps teasing us with superficial fixes but I still am waiting.
Shame on Microsoft.

Kunari

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Desktop is core? Less talk and more action please. Quality from Microsoft has been going downhill in many areas..

..So, don't tell me desktop is core, prove it. Until then I don't trust you, don't support your flagship product, or your business in general. You've annoyed me too much and I won't soon forget.

I wish I could give you multiple likes Zaranthos.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Every time Windows makes good OS, a bad one follows it, then another good one, and so on.

That trend has been going on for quite a long time and windows 8 is just part of the cycle.

Zaranthos

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
I have to laugh at the idiots who say they won't be happy if the start menu is added back to Windows. So, you think the start menu is useless, you don't use it, there's a little button there that you probably don't use to get to the Metro screen and you'd probably be able to configure the start menu to just launch your beloved Metro screen, but if they add back that which you don't use you'll be mad? Does that even make sense? You're just a blind devotee supporting Microsoft's lame decision to remove the start menu. I hate lemmings. Off the cliff with you. :p

Bladed

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Whats the point of the start menu if it's faster to launch an app / program without it? Start menu just adds 1 more click between what you really want to do. Also, if you guys are really power users, you should be using keyboard shortcuts and cmd to launch everything, not clicking stuff like a noob.

Feb 17, 2014
Metro is just what the ugly interface was called, the real travesty here is the insistence by Microsoft to ram metro and all importantly for them, the stupid app store nobody wants along with it. All I and 95% of desktop users want is a stable, secure, fast desktop OS that handles desktop stuff. Screw phones, screw tablets, screw metro apps and their app store, screw xbox and phone connections. How about they sink a few bucks into the failing, bug riddled media center app desktop users might actually want instead?

ugggghhhh I really hope they quit trying to release a new windows every 12 months, im getting tired of this. You fixed vista and made an extrordinary product with windows 7, support it for 10 years before you move on to windows 9 , it's clear 8 and 8.1 are failures.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Thank you for making windows 7 microsoft, as long as it lives so shall the users, keep your windows 8, and windows 9.

Sadly those who purchase consoles suffer greatly, those who support microsoft products with no clear reason why they like it rather its easy are people micrsosoft target.

Manolis T

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
Oh come on you cant complain about Windows 8.It even has 2 apps(one metro and one desktop) for everything.And with the latest update you can run the metro app on the desktop while of course running the desktop app.And lets not forget that you can run some desktop apps on metro mode while in desktop while running metro apps in desktop.Are you confused?Why?

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
This guy 'Vice President of Operating Systems" is trying really really hard to sound like Steve Jobs: "delighted" used more than once and "we are enabling our customers to build great stuff". Once again Microsoft trying to be a half-assed Apple.

Please for the love of God, please don't be another Apple! They suck, just try to be the Microsoft that put you at the top of innovation in the late 90's and early 00's.

Status
Not open for further replies.