Microsoft Recommends Chrome for Hotmail.. Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Bentonsl_2010[/nom]I think at this point I.E. users is a moot ([/citation]

Sorry should of said

I think at this point I.E. users is a moot point. MS packages I.E. with windows and will also have plenty of users. However losing hotmail subscribers to other email providers (I.E. Gmail and Yahoo), would imo be a bigger blow. So them saying use chrome is more of a lesser of two evils approach.\

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Some customers have indicated that if they use Google Chrome to view their Hotmail account they no longer encounter this problem
So, anecdotal quotes from Chrome users?
Any backup to the claims from engineers?

olafmetal

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
hotmail has been bugging out on my beta version of chrome. Firefox seems to be working fine. When I googled the error message I was getting It was all Firefox users complaining about it though. Weird. Chromes still my favorite browser. The recent bugs in hotmail might make me finally change my email account though.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Steve B. signed a MAC book, now MS suggesting users to use their competitor's product(s). I've never seen Apple, Google, etc.. offered their customers other options.

:)

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I would use Chrome, but it has a bug with the check boxes. I've tried on different machines. What happens is I start checking off e-mails that I want to delete and somewhere between 5-10 checked all the check boxes are cleared. Mozilla for the win!

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]I would use Chrome, but it has a bug with the check boxes. I've tried on different machines. What happens is I start checking off e-mails that I want to delete and somewhere between 5-10 checked all the check boxes are cleared. Mozilla for the win![/citation]

Never had that problem and I been using chrome for a couple years now. I am also assuming your talking about the hotmail check boxes right?

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
I'm kinda proud of microsoft right now??!?! They are big enough to actually admit something works better than their product, and they uncover the fact the some things interact better with their products than their other products. Maybe they'll...fix it! Maybe not...:(

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Microsoft has told Hotmail users via the forums that those trying to use the webmail service should not use Safari 3 or Firefox 2
– both of which have been replaced by significantly newer versions.

Ya know, I think this article is completely misleading. They may have said that Chrome works, but why would they say anything about older versions of Safari and Firefox and not say anything about IE? I'm a web programmer, and I'm very familiar with browser trends. The real issue that Microsoft is having is that because IE comes by default on Windows since the conception of IE, there are tons of extremely old versions of it out there. Microsoft has been improving their .NET framework (just went to 4.0 last May/April), this upgrade is to bring Hotmail up to the newer standards of ASP.NET, but older browsers do not support the newer versions of the .NET framework, and because most users do not update their browser frequently enough, you get issues like these. You would all be amazed to know that there are still users out there running IE4, of which a majority of the country is using IE6 and IE7. I run IE8, it works fine with Hotmail.

Just because Microsoft was saying that Chrome is an option, doesn't mean they were saying that you should use that instead of updating your browser. Do I smell a biased/informationally misleading article? I think so.

ecnovaec

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I think Microsoft is doing the right thing honestly. They aren't pulling a typical Apple response "nothing is wrong with us, it's the user, you're all morons"

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]I would use Chrome, but it has a bug with the check boxes. I've tried on different machines. What happens is I start checking off e-mails that I want to delete and somewhere between 5-10 checked all the check boxes are cleared. Mozilla for the win![/citation]
The other day I used Chrome to see my hotmail account and had the same problem. Firefox doesn't have this problem.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]md2129[/nom]People still use hotmail?[/citation]
When you have mailbox for multiple years and when you all bank accounts, subscriptions are synchronized with it, do you think it is easy to change it? It does not worth the effort, especially if you use windows live mail instead of browser to check e-mail - that works just fine.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]Ya know, I think this article is completely misleading. They may have said that Chrome works, but why would they say anything about older versions of Safari and Firefox and not say anything about IE? I'm a web programmer, and I'm very familiar with browser trends. The real issue that Microsoft is having is that because IE comes by default on Windows since the conception of IE, there are tons of extremely old versions of it out there. Microsoft has been improving their .NET framework (just went to 4.0 last May/April), this upgrade is to bring Hotmail up to the newer standards of ASP.NET, but older browsers do not support the newer versions of the .NET framework, and because most users do not update their browser frequently enough, you get issues like these. You would all be amazed to know that there are still users out there running IE4, of which a majority of the country is using IE6 and IE7. I run IE8, it works fine with Hotmail.Just because Microsoft was saying that Chrome is an option, doesn't mean they were saying that you should use that instead of updating your browser. Do I smell a biased/informationally misleading article? I think so.[/citation]
Dear lord are there still people using windows 98 or older OS?

beans4you

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
chrome I noticed is very in tune with hotmail as of recently. I right click on emails to delete them or whatever. lol didn't question, I just went with it.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
This thing looks OLD i mean really this is a new product Microsoft is working on? step in the wrong direction if you ask me. Like someone else said above they are just throwing stuff out on the market now. why would you want this over a netbook which will probably be cheaper?

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Did they just admit that everything in IE9 is crap? What I read was that they were one of the fastest browsers, and that they scored a 95/100 in the Acid3 test; oppose to that crappy other score they scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.