Microsoft Recommends Chrome for Hotmail.. Huh?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
but what is the problem?
if its IE6 related or 3rd party plugin related, then there is "no" real problem.
I'm not suffering issue myself and the web version works better under IE than Chrome from my point of view. but I don't play this way all the day... so I have not tested everything.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Yes[/citation]

Actually, I've seen 95 in operation on some cash register PC's at a business not far from where I live...

And this business is not a mom & pop operation...it's national.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Dear lord are there still people using windows 98 or older OS?[/citation]
If it still runs and you have all the programs you need on it, why bother upgrading? We all talk about how netbooks are good for email and light browsing, but if they already have a perfectly good Win95/98 computer they might as well save the money and stick with it (depending on how much a power drain it is).

G

IE should be something they continue to develop on, if only to have a company with MS resources and history advancing the web browser.

But since its not a product they sell, why would they care if someone didnt use it.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Dear lord are there still people using windows 98 or older OS?[/citation]
I've seen people still using Windows 3.11 (great if you don't have to go online). Wrap your head around that one.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]If it still runs and you have all the programs you need on it, why bother upgrading? We all talk about how netbooks are good for email and light browsing, but if they already have a perfectly good Win95/98 computer they might as well save the money and stick with it (depending on how much a power drain it is).[/citation]

I'm not referring to computers used in cash register and so forth, I'm talking in using a outdated system to browse the web. We can't install any new version of Opera, Safari, Firefox or Chrome, or update IE to it's latest version. I mean if someone has Win98 they can only update to IE6. It's even worse if it's Win95 because we can only upgrade to IE5 and this browser is basically useless for the web nowadays.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]I've seen people still using Windows 3.11 (great if you don't have to go online). Wrap your head around that one.[/citation]

No kidding, my friend's car wash, the machine controls the car wash is running windows 3.1.
:)

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Did hell almost freezes over? One less microsoft employee on the payroll...[/citation]

I'd put money on the latter.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I been using hotmail since the 90's and Im now 30. So yeah, some of us still like it.

To the user who had the check mark issue with Chrome, I have that issue as well. Really annoying.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]md2129[/nom]People still use hotmail?[/citation]

Nothing wrong with Hotmail. It's a free web mail service. Exactly what I need.

Why not there is some who are still using DOS and Win 3.1 which do still get online no problem at all. Then there is people who are still running older Macs and Amgia that are still online. Some are professionals and others are enthusiasts that still to use their choice of systems. A few months ago I had seen one individual getting onto the net on a old DEC machine.

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I think for the sake of IE being IE it should be continually bettered even though no one uses it because others are better.
I'm using Firefox 4 beta atm and it rolls

ShouldntHave

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Of course ppl want to jump on the "FF fan" train, but this article's headline is presented in loaded terms IMO. Corporate-stance-wise, there is a big difference between an official pronouncement -- MS posting "MS recommends X" on their site -- vs. what sounds like a lone representative or even team saying "Some users have had success with X, so if Y is failing, you may want to try X."

Whatever else is said about the failings of MS, and the (righteous?) criticism they have eternally suffered (up by several orders of magnitude since the advent of Mainstream Internet), the fact that ppl still delight in taking cheap shots @ them (and don't feel guilt about it) basically affirms their dominance.

Not here to crusade for them, but they deserve defense against at least bad journalism... There is so much of it going around, esp. w/r to them, other big players, and tech in general.

My anecdote du jour: a certain MS site I have been on lately says "Use IE8 for the best experience" (which I do), then, in the very next paragraph posts the red-text error warning: "your browser is incapable [...]". Awesome! Likewise, in terms of anything more advanced than simply rendering static info -- leaving a bunch of broken interactivity -- support for FF there is nonexistent. (Should I try Chrome? Uh... pass.)

[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]I been using hotmail since the 90's and Im now 30. So yeah, some of us still like it. To the user who had the check mark issue with Chrome, I have that issue as well. Really annoying.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The other day I used Chrome to see my hotmail account and had the same problem. Firefox doesn't have this problem.[/citation]

I been having this issue as well but i think it's due to bug in the latest should be "stable" version of chrome. I just swtich to the beta client and im not having the problem anymore (ATM) so i would recommend you swtich to beta (6.0.472.33) build and see if it works out for you.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]I've seen people still using Windows 3.11 (great if you don't have to go online). Wrap your head around that one.[/citation]

I still run Windows ME on a machine, because NT versions aren't very compatible with some DOS apps, or even some Windows 95 apps (like Pacific General, a game I'll never get tired of). ME, despite being maligned by cattle and people who never used it, is better than Windows 98. It's a pity they never made versions after it, and added multiprocessor support, because it would be a much better gaming platform than NT derivatives (i.e., much faster). Although, a 32 or 64 bit DOS would be much faster still (but more difficult to program for).

I don't know why anyone would be using Windows 3.11. OS/2 is much more powerful, and runs Windows 3.11 apps perfectly, as well as DOS apps better than DOS ever did. On top of that, you can get modern versions of it with support for modern hardware (ecomstation). I still have OS/2 running on other machines, and suffice it to say, it runs much faster than the incredibly Windows 7. It actually run very fast on a Pentium 200, with 128 MB.

For people that have a setup that works well for them, slow, bloated software like Windows 7 might not actually improve employee performance. There are people using DOS apps that work great for them, and their employees are comfortable with it.

So, trying to sound superior because you have something more modern might make you feel good, but there are actually some people well served with their current system that don't need additional features the more modern stuff has. Again, I'm not recommending WFW 3.11, because OS/2 is simply better at everything, but, just throwing out that old software can still be very useful and efficient in isolated situations.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Computerrock1[/nom]I guess opera is old news?[/citation]
Opera does not play well with the new Hotmail either...

[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]Nothing wrong with Hotmail. It's a free web mail service. Exactly what I need.[/citation]
Yep, nothing wring with Hotmail once you create a Gmail account and just POP3 Hotmail into it...

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
that's probably because lamers still use IE 6.0 when they should be using something that has less security holes in it. instead they should be telling people to upgrade their browser. I've used hotmail in MSIE 8 under windows 7. Do I like the new hotmail? well no but still..it works. just use gmail and MSIE8 imho.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
As always, "anything but Microsoft" is the most reliable option. Some things just don't change! Anyone else notice how hotmail never used to have *any* problems whatsoever.... back when it was all running on FreeBSD? Now that they've moved it all onto Windows servers, it's one problem after another. Par for the course I suppose.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

I still use it (Windows 98 SE) on an older machine for old school dos/win9x games, but thats about as far as it goes. I would probably use ME for it, but I like having complete access to DOS without having to hack it all to hell just to get that feature back. Anyway, it has the last version of Firefox available for it (2.0.20), but thats just for when I need something off the web and am too lazy to get whatever it is from my other machines or if Win 98 and Win XP/7 have their occasional "disagreements" over sharing files. All my main machines are set up to dual boot Windows XP/Windows 7, with the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]As always, "anything but Microsoft" is the most reliable option. Some things just don't change! Anyone else notice how hotmail never used to have *any* problems whatsoever.... back when it was all running on FreeBSD? Now that they've moved it all onto Windows servers, it's one problem after another. Par for the course I suppose.[/citation]
The problems that hotmail had in the past had nothing to do with the OS, the culprit was the code of the hotmail itself.

Have you ever wondered why most pc users dislikes apple fans? If you have, then it's easy. All you have to do is look in a mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.