Microsoft Removes Start Button from Windows 8

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sa1nt

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
These comments on w8 getting more and more retarded... This is ridiculous criticizing everything based on that you dont like the idea of metro UI.You can always use cmd/terminal best interface ever !!!

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I hate this crap. It seems the fad today is that minimalism is the right approach to EVERYTHING. I disagree, we must cut out the clutter but improve the functionality at the same time. This sounds like a really dumb idea. Imagine what it will be like for those that are computer illiterate like my mom. Now when I tell her to access the start menu, there's no more button, she won't know what to do. How would someone intuitively know to hover your mouse of a specific corner of the screen to make something that wasn't there appear suddenly. This just seems like such a poorly thought-out Operating System.

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Am I the only one seeing this is a HUGE, GROSS copy of the Gnome3 interface? There, you hover the pointer over the upper left corner and a "metro-style" screen appears with all the programs and stuff.. No troll here, see it for yourselves... Microsoft is not "inventing" anything, they're just "borrowing" from the linux community. Again and again... Pause file tranfers? Seen that, on Fedora, long ago..

I dislike the Metro interface simply because as a desktop user I have to use both the mouse and the keyboard (for the Windows key) at the same time. This is not as ergonomically friendly as just being able to use the mouse alone. It is a mistake by Microsoft to make the Metro interface the default interface although I know you can get the start button back by a registry hack.

viktorbkk

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Guess I'll be running windows 7 for a while....Oh, and by the way MS, we don't allow ANY wireless systems on our company network, not even the execs that have demanded to be able to get access with their iPads...... in fact, we ESPECIALLY don't allow any Apple product on our network. Why?If it's not wired, it's not secure.Regarding apple?We can't easily control what the Apple systems are getting access(iTunes crap for example) to with our own administrative systems without paying extra money. I mean, really, why should we pay more money in order to have control over our own network? Yea, sure we could do a mass ip/dns block, but it renders these stupid iPads nearly useless.....[/citation]

If I ever met the man who runs this company of yours, I would shake his hand.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
In the news today... Microsoft Patented the Wheel, just so they could reinvent it!!!

With every new version of windows, they push me further away. I can do everything from my tablet or Linux Based PC, so goodbye Microsoft!

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
What good could possibly be achieved by removing the Start Button? I really don't understand why Microsoft does some of the things they do. It seems as though they are doomed to ride this good OS/bad OS cycle every other version for another ten years. If the tablet touch UI (Metro) along with the Ribbon folder display wasn't enough, this isn't going to make things any better that's for sure.

People care about simplicity and to a point, and that point is when it effects everything you've learned thus far. People don't want to have to re-learn the ins and outs of the Operating System anymore especially when it's the SMALL THINGS Microsoft does that make doing so a chore.

I wish more people would consider the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" motto and incorporate it into there daily lives.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
As long as there's an easy way to disable aero glass, and aero bloat borders, and metro so I can get a traditional desktop, and verbose control panel, etc, I'll be happy.

G

You will all buy it and love it. Every incarnation including ME has been better than the previous.

G

I almost never use the start button, but when I do...
I agree that this is a tablet trend for trends sake. To me it like taking the "release hood" lever out of the car. "Well, you can always go through the glove box..."

i would be interested in giving this beta a try to see how it works without the start button. if there isn't any problems then i would gladly take no start button as long as they get rid of the metro GUI (even though you can turn it off)

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Getting rid of the start button is a bad idea. Think about all the basic PC users out there who use the start menu daily.
Honestly the metro UI is good in a tablet environment. But is awful to use with a KB and a mouse. There need's to be a legacy option to bring back the start menu.
Also hot corners are annoying. especially if you use a multi display setup.
No company going to switch to Win8. When thy have to teach 100 plus emploies to use a new OS.
I for one will be sticking with Win 7 or switching to linux.
Get ready Microsoft for all the people who are going to roll back to Windows 7.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So let me get this straight, and OS should never change because people can't deal with change? So why produce a new OS at all then? It's this type of thinking that dooms us all ... fear of change ... it's what's holding the human potential back from being all it can be.

runswindows95

Distinguished
The more I read about flashy interfaces and major changes to GUI's, the more I appreciate the XFCE desktop for Linux. It's very simple and clean. I for one don't need a flashy GUI, just one works.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Some people use the Start Menu, some don't. It will either be an official option (on or off), or we'll add it back anyway. I personally prefer command-line interfaces, and use the Winkey all the time. I guarantee I can type "maya" faster than you can find your icon and click on it, no matter where it is.

But this workflow isn't for everyone. Options in a UI and customizability are what makes Windows beneficial to the user, as opposed to having Apple (for example) tell you "how it's done". It's a certainty that power users will have their Winkey and Start Menu buttons rockin' within hours if not days after an optionless Win 8 release, should that occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.