News Microsoft Reportedly Broke Windows 10 Search

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Anyone else having the issue where the Start Menu won't appear sometimes? Seems related to problems with searching. Windows 10 sure does have some bizarre bugs.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've almost given up on the search. Even MS products fail to make the list appropriately. Basically just create tiles for everything I want to launch regularly. Typically have to browse the full start menu to find applications, and don't get me started on locating Window's more advanced features. Basically have to get to all of them manually now.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Same thing happened to me when I was using an old version of Windows 10. But newer versions doesn't seem to have the bug (at least I never faced it again after updating to OS version 1803 & 1903)

fireaza

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Search has been broken for me for ages. Only about half of my programs are actually searchable, despite making sure to add them to indexing.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
windows search has been garbage since windows xp. windows 7 was broken and MS knew it and never fixed it. windows 10 gives you 10000000000000000000 results searching within files and returning garbage. I end up having to search everything with wildcards and file extensions just to find stuff or using command prompt.

Giroro

Splendid
This is what happens when you hire the cheapest interns and Computer Science majors with an undergrad degree you can find to replace senior engineers with 30+ years low-level programming experience (which they don't teach to undergrads)... and then expect them to perform at the same level with a smaller team and no training.
Microsoft didn't prepare for the generation gap. They're going to have a rough ~10 years in front of them and they'll come out of it looking like a totally different company.
At least they have some good EEs working on their hardware devices like Surface and previously Zune. Those guys might need to step in and teach the Windows team how computers work. New CS undergrads are taught that the OS is a black box that they can depend on to handle everything, which becomes a problem when they get a job to program an OS without actually knowing how one works.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure I agree on that. I went to school with a lot of CS folks, and they were building their own OS from the ground up as part of their studies.

But I agree that there is going to be a gap in knowledge and experience. My company is forcing early retirement, and the perception I am having is now the same as theirs. When I was starting out, I was constantly asked what school I was attending, etc, when I had been out of school for years. They were surprised to see someone so young. Now I am the one going, huh, the upper management sure looks youthful. Because I have been used to 60+ year olds in all the senior positions.

I hate to be 'that guy' but it is also an effect of extensive outsourcing then anything else. Outside of the 'West' school accreditation isn't closely regulated (not that it is here, but it is at least better) and you have people graduating with no practical experience at all. Just the ability to pass exams. To top it off you have a communication and time lag problem at most companies. Additionally, the culture, particularly in India, involves many layers of management. So while you might have a representative for your developers either on site or at your beck and call, they turn it over to a project manager, who turns it over to a development lead, who turns it over to a manager, who then tells the team what to do. Like playing a giant game of telephone with a complete translation to another language happening regularly.

Not sure this is at every company, but the large ones all do it. Unless they hand development completely to a third party. I have less of a problem with that, but it doesn't seem to be the common practice. Though we did just that with certain aspects outside of IT, still a bizarre choice, but for every one US engineer you can find three or four from India or China.

/rant