Microsoft Reveals a More Aggressive Smartphone Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Microsoft needs to be more swift in updating its hardware requirements, or abandon it altogether. It has been nearly two years since the introduction of WP7 if I'm not mistaken, and this is its first update which is unacceptable. Though I realize WP7 runs a lot smoother on less hardware (read: not a bloatware like Android is) having such an outdated hardware specification is not going to help keep up to the competition.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Microsoft, my wife and I are joining your camp in the coming months. Android has pissed me off for the last time.

Keep the controls on your OS so carriers can skin it and keep your phones updated with software and that is all I want.

We are sick and tired of the broken, fragmented, shoddy supported likes of the Android world.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I remember when I had my TyTn2 (AT&T Tilt) hacked to run Android. The device had a 400 mhz processor and 128MB of RAM. It ran OK, but was unbearable at times. I think if it had had 256MB of RAM and a slightly faster (600 MHz) processor - similar to what is being discussed here - it would have run just fine.

G

Nothing will come of all Microsoft's talk if they can't get a tolerable Windows Phone on Verizon's network - like it or not, VZW is a huge player in North America, and the current WP offering (HTC Trophy) is truly abysmal.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Win8+Medfield+full (desktop) windows 7/8 integration = MS can have my money, otherwise...i don't know what i'll do, stick with symbian :(

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
They need to focus on the value market in my opinion. Why? because that is where WP does more with less hardware. Nobody else can compete there especially Apple because they focus for now on one model and their consumer base demands that things like Siri (requires high-end HW) just work and be ubiquitous. Aside from serious enthusiasts most people will not see the need to drop big cash for top of the line phones. Especially the 50 and up non-enthusiast group. My parents and grandparents represent one of the fastest growing segments and only WP7 really fits usability and price requirements for that segment.
I have both a WP7 and Android with ICS.

sync_nine

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Just like to point out some lies in the cards there.
Nokia Lumia 710 comes with a 1300 mAh battery and Nokia Lumia 800 comes with a 1450 mAh battery.
On the other hand Samsung Omnia W comes with a 1500 mAh battery and an AMOLED screen (Lumia has a LCD screen) which is far better than the LCD in terms of power consumption. But then how come the Lumia 710 has a talk time of 7 hours, Lumia 800 of 9 hours and the Omnia W of 6 hours?
It doesn't add up.
Specs wise those three phones have no big difference hardware wise (except the 16 GB memory of Lumia 800) and the only difference point is the battery which is in my opinion a big factor.

Here is the proof to back up my claim
http://www.crazy4cellphones.com/blog/nokia-lumia-710-vs-samsung-omnia-w-8350.html

"In battery performances the Samsung Omnia W has larger capacity with li-ion 1500 mAh battery, the 200 milliamps doesn’t sound that much but its still better than the Nokia Lumia 710 li-ion 1300 mAh battery. With the web browsing test the Omnia W survived with a whopping 2 hours 40 minutes than the Lumia 710. This is all because of the bigger battery and power saving Super AMOLED technology. Even in video playback the Lumia was underperformer in front of Omnia. The Samsung Omnia W played continuous video playback for 7 hours 49 minutes but the Nokia Lumia 710 only for 3 hours 27 minutes. Again thanks to the Super AMOLED display."

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
the projected numbers for worldwide sales for blackberryos and windows mobile seem a little off.

I do not believe Rim will sell an additional 30% in 2012 compared to 2011.

Windows mobile I am not so sure about, because there will be plenty of people leaving the android and ios camps in order to try out new software. But relatively few will leave ios and android for blah-berry (been there done that)

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]the projected numbers for worldwide sales for blackberryos and windows mobile seem a little off. I do not believe Rim will sell an additional 30% in 2012 compared to 2011.Windows mobile I am not so sure about, because there will be plenty of people leaving the android and ios camps in order to try out new software. But relatively few will leave ios and android for blah-berry (been there done that)[/citation]
It's not talked about much, but worldwide RIM is huge. Just losing attention in North America.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
but you are going to try to make me believe than rim will sell 30% more units this year than last, but while apple will only sell an additional 23% more than last year.

Something is wrong with this projections. I do not even own any apple products, and I am not a fanboy, in fact I am very happy using rooted android devices.

[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]but you are going to try to make me believe than rim will sell 30% more units this year than last, but while apple will only sell an additional 23% more than last year.Something is wrong with this projections. I do not even own any apple products, and I am not a fanboy, in fact I am very happy using rooted android devices.[/citation]

As your share increases, it's hard to continue to maintain that growth, because you get closer and closer to your full potential.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]As your share increases, it's hard to continue to maintain that growth, because you get closer and closer to your full potential.[/citation]

It's hard for me to believe that apple has hit their potential, and rimm has not. Rimm has been in this game much longer, and from what I can tell in my office of 50 or so coworkers most have left rimm for android and ios.

I agree that Rimm is having an easier time growing in emerging markets than North America, but so are Apple/Samsung/Nokia.

I am just saying if these projections were correct Rimm's share price would not be trading at $14 dollars a share.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]but you are going to try to make me believe than rim will sell 30% more units this year than last, but while apple will only sell an additional 23% more than last year.Something is wrong with this projections. I do not even own any apple products, and I am not a fanboy, in fact I am very happy using rooted android devices.[/citation]

I hate to tell ya this, but apple sucks rocks everywhere EXCEPT north america.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]I hate to tell ya this, but apple sucks rocks everywhere EXCEPT north america.[/citation]

I know that, you know that, but the millions of other isheep dont know that.

You have to accept the fact that most people are sheep, and ios products have all the buzz in the industry.

Most people are not like us, they dont root their devices, jailbreak, run command line.

[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]It's hard for me to believe that apple has hit their potential, and rimm has not. Rimm has been in this game much longer, and from what I can tell in my office of 50 or so coworkers most have left rimm for android and ios.I agree that Rimm is having an easier time growing in emerging markets than North America, but so are Apple/Samsung/Nokia.I am just saying if these projections were correct Rimm's share price would not be trading at $14 dollars a share.[/citation]

And all those coworkers who have traded their devices in, are they planning to buy a new phone next year? Probably not, as they'll ride out their contracts and those are not going to be new customers.

Every customer they add is one less customer they can use as growth. Can't you see how that will cause their growth to slow down?

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
people with smartphone's tend to upgrade faster than people with flip phones. I remember reading a study on this, I will try to post that link when I find it.

so figure people with smartphones will upgrade on average every 18 to 26 months.

[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]people with smartphone's tend to upgrade faster than people with flip phones. I remember reading a study on this, I will try to post that link when I find it.so figure people with smartphones will upgrade on average every 18 to 26 months.[/citation]

Either way, old customers aren't considered growth, at most you get to maintain those numbers. People who have not upgraded or changed platforms, those are the growth numbers.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Microsoft, my wife and I are joining your camp in the coming months. Android has pissed me off for the last time.Keep the controls on your OS so carriers can skin it and keep your phones updated with software and that is all I want.We are sick and tired of the broken, fragmented, shoddy supported likes of the Android world.[/citation]

Wow, that was impressive. WP7/8 is looking pretty damn good. If they put it out on hardware that competes with the IPhones and top end Android devices then I am sure they will gain some good ground. I would not mind seeing a 30/30/30 markets share split personally. Keeps everyone competing to make a great product.

G

WP7 is doomed. They keep pushing and pushing, but they cant get people to buy into their restrictive ecosystem! I just LOVE these graphs which show M$ cleaning up the market by 2015! LOL The truth is, they will NEVER get traction in the Smartphone business. They have done everything up to and including bribing the number one producer of phones with BILLIONS of dollars...and it STILL hasnt made a dent in the market! You keep hearing fanboys and "experts" saying "wait until fall" or "wait until next year"...and then that time comes and goes, and still M$ bleeds market share...and the "experts" say "just wait...this year will be different!" Yeah, right! Call me when these guys get a clue and fire Ballmer!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]anon723484[/nom]WP7 is doomed. They keep pushing and pushing, but they cant get people to buy into their restrictive ecosystem! I just LOVE these graphs which show M$ cleaning up the market by 2015! LOL The truth is, they will NEVER get traction in the Smartphone business. They have done everything up to and including bribing the number one producer of phones with BILLIONS of dollars...and it STILL hasnt made a dent in the market! You keep hearing fanboys and "experts" saying "wait until fall" or "wait until next year"...and then that time comes and goes, and still M$ bleeds market share...and the "experts" say "just wait...this year will be different!" Yeah, right! Call me when these guys get a clue and fire Ballmer![/citation]
People used to say the same about Mac OSX vs Windows XP, and the Apple camp would say market share is not the issue as their product was simply better
Well its all spun about now and MS has a product which is simply better, with a lower market share, can't have the same arguement here and not expect that to be thrown back at you

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Nothing will come of all Microsoft's talk if they can't get a tolerable Windows Phone on Verizon's network - like it or not, VZW is a huge player in North America, and the current WP offering (HTC Trophy) is truly abysmal.[/citation]
North America is not the world, the EU has more techsavvy consumers with disposable income, so does China - sure China has a billion penniless peasants but the ones left over with hard cash are still twice the size of the USA in total. Verizon is not part of this issue, if WP7 takes off in a world market then they will adopt the better handsets that DO exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.