Microsoft Reveals ''Mouse 2.0'' Prototypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Sweet - break the mold, experiment with things that go beyond mice or even touchpads! Gotta admit, even though they look like things Jawas would mess with, the ideas are interesting!

G

i am really looking forward to see these being further developed. they are really innovating here.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]looks like microsoft gets points for bringing this out first. Apple is due to revamp there mighty mouse very soon.[/citation]
I hear by 2010 it's going to have...TWO BUTTONS :O

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]looks like microsoft gets points for bringing this out first. Apple is due to revamp there mighty mouse very soon.[/citation]
You mean the shitty mouse i dislike, i like the onmi direction ball but i like my two buttons clear cut buttons and side buttons. still better then the power puck design

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Sorry... I think their all gimicks. Maybe useful for a couple things here and there, but unlikely what the general mass would use/want to use for that matter.

The mouse is simply one of those things... They got right the first time around and has only need tweaking here and there.

Envinyanta

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Funny coincidence. Documents are released showing Apple's pushing the mold on their concept of what a mouse is and surprise surprise, Microsoft releases "prototypes" of their next mouse soon afterward. Honestly as a PC user, the Microsoft "prototypes" look like design lab rejects. It's almost as if someone at Microsoft wanted to steal Apple's thunder (and attention) about their new mouse by digging out some half-baked and rejected concepts they had sitting in a box somewhere. I'm not saying Microsoft isn't testing new concepts with mice--of course they are, just like any company does with their products. What I'm saying is bringing out poor and/or failed examples of that innovation on the heels of a competitors 'information leak' reeks of schoolyard "me too" oneupmanship.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
the one that turns your desk into a mouse surface might be intreasting if they can combine it with the ability to recognize other objects and make some kind of interactive space.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
i thought this was going to be talking about 6 degrees of freedom mice. i've been bloody waiting ages for devices like that to become mainstream.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
"the one that turns your desk into a mouse surface might be intreasting if they can combine it with the ability to recognize other objects and make some kind of interactive space"

Multitouch trackpad in the shape of a mouse pad for your desk perhaps? Give it Bluetooth capabilities like MS Surface. Sure it'll be pricey but how cool would that be? The age of handheld controllers will be over soon... Hell, incorporate Project Natal into the PC and allow users to use hand gestures and the like to control desktop objects. Think "Minority Report."

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I like the mac mouse, but terrible non mac drivers and a 50 dollar price tag(70 for wireless) Just makes it unrealistic for normal use. No matter how many great things a mac product can do, it always has a few issues that piss everyone off.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
i wish they could just focus on producing cheaper touch screen and making it more reliable.. dont anyone else feel like touchscreen is the way to the future?... i was kinda thinking that with all those smart phones now utilizing touchscreen input, that mouse would soon come to extinction...but i guess this article kinda proves otherwise...

[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]I hear by 2010 it's going to have...TWO BUTTONS[/citation]

So by 2020 they should have a two button mouse with a scrolling middle mouse button?

Then again with 2012 fast approaching they might never make it......

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
In my opinion, M$ has been making the best general-use mice around since the early 90's when mice started to become common place. M$ Explorer with a ball and wheel is the sturdiest (I have many that are 10+ years old at this point, still going strong) mouse I've ever seen, the weight and tracking speed are great. It's a quality product.

That said, I tried a more recent M$ optical mouse w/RF wireless. Very comfortable and well build, but would at least once a day cause my cursor to fly to the corner of the screen or cause me to 'spin' in any 3D game. Very annoying. I'm using a $5 wung-fung-chu brand from a wholesaler instead.

I'll try the M$ and Logitech laser mice in the future. Here's to hoping that M$ can produce another mouse as good as the Explorer.

G

Trackballs Rule
"Mouse pad? Mouse pad, we don't need to stinking mouse pad!"

The only viable option out of the bunch would be the one that turns your desk into a trackpad. However, I'd one up on that and say multi-touch screens are the way to go. Be that as it may, I doubt that we will ever see an end to the mouse/joystick. For pure functional design they are second to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.